Why did you come to Thailand in the first place?

WineOh

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes, but for...

I arrived after backpacking through Europe and overland through the mideast... Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, <deleted> - India - - then Thailand and it was like putting on comfortable slippers... that was 1974.

I returned to export from here in the 1980s

After my marriage ended I took early retirement here before 2000.. 

Of course it is not the same - - especially the name tourist areas, but out in the country, the villages, the small cities, it has certainly  not lost its charm. That resides in the heart of the people I meet every day... knowing more about the culture and language helps immensely.

Nice to hear your story pal.

It's interesting reading everyone's different reasons for coming to Thailand.

• Like 1

I was in my early twenties and originally went to northern India for a few months for charas rubbing season. A few months passed and I got pretty sick, had blood and mucus coming out of my backside and thought I should go elsewhere after a doctor had told me with a head wobble "you just have sh!ts" . That ended up being Thailand where I got diagnosed with amoebic dysentry. Spent three months in a 30bht a night hut on Koh Chang, ten metres from the sea. Fell in love with the place. Came back a few times after that, then met my wife and  have been here full time about 18 years now.

• Like 1

Inaugural Thai run was back in 1981...   with the RAAF at Butterworth (Penang) The first 6 months on a Logistics engineering project supporting efforts against the 2nd Malaysian Emergency - and during that period we were doing 12 hours shifts 7 days a week no Leave. 

The shackles came off at 6mths like clockwork, and so followed the typical Hatyai sojourns, but first one up was at Phuket. After this goal was reached, our work schedule coincidentally modified to become a 12hrs days, 12hrs nights with 4days off (in raafie speak this translated to  2dys 2night 4 hatyai)... repeatedly 

In our militry life, we never stay posted in a locale for more than a few years, but 12 years later one finally returned to domocile in Malaysia, with a lot of pent up energy to expunge ???? 

Eventually  all up spent nigh on 5 years in place, but the Sth Thai exposure increase multifold. 

If not a full weekend off, I'd keep to treddling around Penang, but when more free time available I'd do a regular 10hrs each way treddle ride up to CowboyTown/Hatyai.

My only limitation at the time was to Arrive at the Border point after 8am before 10pm. Apart from that it was open slather destroying oneself. 

Eventually got my Mazda 626, which came in handy for keeping my Penang larder filled with Thai labels everything, on alternating weekends North

The inter periods back in OZ were whiled away keeping in the fold knowing expat thai sheilas, and surviving on my cartons of export Mekhong 

Finally Married into the Thai culture in 2013, and if it wasn't for the current covid1984 fiasco, we'd be still doing our 3 family trips a year back to Samut Songkran, Koh SiChang and Sakon Nakon  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

In 1987, aged 20, I got a job for a multinational company based in Singapore.  During the three years I lived there I made frequent work trips to their operations in various Southeast Asian countries, including Thailand.  In 1990 I was given the choice to stay in Singapore or relocate to one of the other operations, and I chose Thailand.  Didn't even have to consider it.  Since then, I've either worked fulltime here, or "rotated" (2 - 4 weeks working in offices outside Thailand, followed by 2 - 4 weeks at home in Thailand) to various other countries, including long term schedules in Indonesia, Vietnam, China, Myanmar, and the UAE, though I did make a misguided choice to return to Singapore for three years, and then KL for two, between 2010 - 2015, before returning to a fulltime position in Bangkok.  Working and living in all these other places just reinforced the feeling that I'd definitely made the right choice back in 1990, and, when I finally retired in early 2019, obviously chose Thailand to do it in.  Unless something major happens (and I do have an escape plan for such an eventuality), I'll be here until I drop dead, and then my ashes will be here for ever.

Great story mate. 

Good to hear you are happy !

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tifino said:

Inaugural Thai run was back in 1981...   with the RAAF at Butterworth (Penang)

Another great little spot./

used to go there for visas when I was living/working in Phuket.

Had a few mad nights out there considering it was a rather quiet place.

Still have some ringit around somewhere 

• Like 1

I came to work in 1989 and get away from <deleted> UK...Couldn't make enough money here so left to make money in Middle East and returned to retire..During my days working in the MENA region I came here several times a year, partied, monged and gorged and generally indulged before settling here and retiring at 59. I have traveled to about 50 or more countries but prefer here though it used to be better.  But here I am.

• Like 1

Some fascinating responses here.

Everyone has their own paths, stories which dictate their perceptions of the land we live.

I have had many ups and downs in my time here.

I still like living here but I enjoyed it much more pre 2014.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the early 1990th I came here for holiday two time and then I thought why should I live in a cold country for 11 months a years and go on holiday to Thailand for 1 month a year when instead I could live in Thailand all year around?

I could and can do my job anywhere in the world. So I moved to Thailand and enjoyed it ever since.

You found freedom mate.

Good on you! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I suppose if I had unlimited finances, I would probably leave. I despise the government and immigration here, and it does feel like the nation is moving backwards. But, considering the fact that I do not have a fortune, I will stay. There are many issues to consider. Going back to the US is not an option. I would not want to live there now, unless I was being paid over a million dollars a year, and then I would only do it for 3 years, and then leave. For me, it is about quality of life, and my level of fulfillment on a daily basis, which I seem to have here in abundance. A big factor here, is the relatively light hearted attitude of the people. You just do not find that in the US, where most seem bitter, disenchanted, unfulfilled, and heavy hearted. 

This is an entirely subjective topic, of course. But some of us live very good lives here. Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman. For me, that likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. Unless I settled for an old lady. No thanks. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the culture back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 550 mbps fiber optic connection, at under 800 baht per month!), stand up comedy, variety of food, live jazz, etc. But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation and joylessness, that I had to when I lived back there.

Thailand is still reasonable. It used to be cheap. Has not been cheap for a long time. But, it is still reasonable. I know people who pay 10,000 baht a month for newer 3 bedroom houses in nice towns here. In major cities in the US? $2000-3800 a month. America is so overpriced. That is 120,000 baht a month for rent! And who can afford to own, at this time?

Nearly every friend I have in the US is single. Why? Because for a man in the US, who is past the age of 50, unless he is willing to get with a woman at least his age, his prospects are dim for finding love, or companionship. Some guys like me, simply prefer younger women. Not kids, but women who are 5, 10, 15, even 20 or 25 years younger than us. For a dozen very valid reasons. I could break them down, but why bother? The PC crew will jump on this and say it is not right. You should not be able to have this kind of life, without jumping over ridiculous hurdles! Means nothing to me. I do not do PC. Why be with a woman our age, if we do not need to? Nothing wrong with it, if it works for you. But It is virtually impossible for a 60 year old man in the US, to hook up with a woman in her 30's, much less early 40's, unless she is very fat or very ugly, or he is a centi millionaire, or is famous. Period. It just does not happen in this day and age.

Here it is possible. Granted he will likely get with a woman of lesser means, who needs a guy who can provide some financial stability. So what? Who cares? Most women want financial stability anywhere in the world, whether they admit it or not. The difference is here the women are more honest about their financial needs and desires. I know a lot of men who have engaged in relationships with lovely, kind, supportive, humorous, and sexy women here, who are no longer lonely. We have very good lives. Fulfilling lives. Lives we could never dream of having back in the US, Oz, NZ, UK, Canada, or Scandinavia.

My wife is joyful, playful, smart, funny, affectionate, incredibly supportive, and light hearted. She is emotionally consistent, and is the same lovely woman from one day to the next. She has a smile on her face when she wakes up in the morning. Never experienced that in the states. Some Thais manifest that unbearable lightness of being, that is so delightful to be around. I cannot really get enough of that spirit, and feel so blessed to be around that, and to have found such a well adjusted and delightful creature.

Sure, Thailand has changed. My first trip here was in 1976! It was so much different than now. The politics here are absolutely regressive. The army is horrendous. Will that ever improve? I think so. I think the youth will eventually oust them, as they are virtually useless to Thai society, with the exception of protecting the elite, those in power and the super wealthy. But alot of things here have improved since then. The infrastructure here is quite good. Sure they could use a high speed rail. That would be amazing. Hopefully it will happen. The whole world is different now. The whole planet is being affected by a greatly expanding population, inflation, environmental issues, politics, Covid, and congestion. So, we are going to experience some of that no matter where we are. All I know, is that every day I wake up, I am very glad to be here, very glad to be with the woman I am with, and thankful for my life. Would I feel the same way in the US? I seriously doubt it. Most of my friends back in the US, say they would trade positions with me, in a heartbeat, if they could. I believe them. And I feel for them. There is one circumstance under which I would move back to the US. If a sponsor of some sort offered me a million dollars a year. I would do it for three years, then leave again! The quality of life where I came from is a pale shadow of what it used to be. No thanks.

There is one more consideration. No matter where we go, we still have to contend with ourselves, our attitude, our issues and our minds. So, some will always be seeking greener pastures. Nothing wrong with that. But, it does not insure fulfillment.

Wow.

Thanks for this mate.

Very insightful comments, lots to take away from what you have written!

I appreciate the time and effort you have put into that.

Excellent stuff! ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1