Why did you come to Thailand in the first place?

WineOh

On 1/10/2021 at 2:18 PM, spidermike007 said:

I care about my Thai friends, my wife, and her family. I see that the government does absolutely nothing for them. Zero. I care about my niece. What is she going to have when she grows up? I care about the youth here. They need to look forward to some kind of future. The status quo cannot continue. The army is moving this nation backwards. Eventually the youth shall prevail. 

Prayuth used to be a young lad...

Reading Lonely Planet in the early 80s, knew about jet skis, gem scam and Wat Po is closed BS for maybe 15 years before I ever arrived in BKK. Why why would anybody rent a jetski anyway? So I found myself recently divorced with not much money but could fly free  just appearing at the gate.  No reservation, no hotel. First night in BKK followed the crew to the  Hilton on Wireless road. Conrad now the pool is epic.  Second night on bad advice from a naughty man,  Nana Hotel. I was afraid to pull the covers down, never stayed  in such a place before. Spent next few years exploring much of Kingdom on vacation time.

• Like 1

First came on a vacation in 1984. Stayed in Nakon Nayok and really enjoyed the simpleness and beauty.

Fast forward to 2003, decided to move to Thailand fulltime.

After I got married, and a kid, priorities starting changing over the next 10 years.

Thailand by this time was sucked into the world of western materialism, US fast food and greed.

I gave it a lot of thought and decided in 2014 to move the clan back to the USA.

First I wanted my son to have a US education. He is doing extremely well in college now.

Second was because I could jump back into corporate America and earn a lot.

We own a house and 19 rai farm in Thailand, always have a place to go back to.

Now we have a beautiful house in Florida, which has a Thai people out the wazoo, Thai restaurants, Thai temples you name it. Same same but different.

I had no desire to live out a meager life in Thailand for the next 30+ years.

My family likes it much better living in the US. Wife is a US citizen. Everything is pretty easy for them.

Went back to Thailand to install a well in 2019 and I was shocked, driving from Bangkok to Isaan, how much worse the country had become in 5 years since I had visited previously.

Air pollution in Bangkok was sickening. As in we all got sick. Saraburi by the cement plants, the pollution is so bad the sky is just brown all the time. Traffic was even more horrendous than when we left.

Life in Isaan however, in the poor rural village had not changed and probably will never change. No stores, no industry, not even a 7-11!

Cash is king, pension, social security, etc. 

Plan to keep working in the US as long as I can, probably to age 75.

What will Thailand will like in 15 to 20 years is anyone's guess?

I do not sit around dreaming about retiring in Thailand.

In the future, we always have a house to stay there if we ever wanted to visit, but that is it.

There are so many nicer holiday destinations closer to where we live now, that the whole family seems to enjoy more.

Would I move back to Thailand fulltime at age 75? Absolutely not. However, if my wife wanted to spend 1 or 2 months, that would be the only choice.

Life is what you make of it, no matter where you live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was working as a service engineer for a UK engineering company and travelling the world when i first came here ( Bangkadi , just outside BKK ) on a 10 day work trip in ‘91 , had a great time except for contracting Hepatitis A !!

Divorced my uk wife for a brazilian beauty i had met on my travels in ‘94.

Moved to Brazil in ‘95 had a great 20 years but then decided enough was enough, planned to retire early 2016 , divorce from the crazy brazilian wife and move back to the uk to spend some quality time with my ageing father.

Then in late 2015 came here again ( Nong Khae, Saraburi ) for 5 weeks and met a “sweet young thing “, came back on holiday in early 2016 to see if the spark was still there ?, it was !!

Retired April 2016 , aged 54, spent two weeks back in the uk then moved here .

Traveled back to the uk every 3 months initially but that got less and less frequent as time went on.

Lived in a rented apartment for 15 months but then decided to buy a house in Ayutthaya and couldn’t be happier.

No regrets !!

(well not in the last 5 years anyway ????).

• Like 2

First time at sea Merchant Navy Bank line Electrical officer.....Arrived in SE Asia 1970...Bangkok..Singapore..Taiwan..Manila..Hong Kong..and dozens of others remote stations including New Guinea Islands..Hanoi and Australia...but was all a dream world..then and spent most of our leaves in port at the local gin joints...I had just turned 21so the big adventure had started..Regarding Thailand ..Klong Toey ...and the bars were rough...but who cared...it was a start..15 years later came back to double check...and now quietly semi retired in the CM Highlands..avec small farm..and even smaller gin joint come shop..in the village...Still travelling...Just made it back from a quiet weekend before the proverbial hit the fan..in Patti..but for this C19..situation..which one day will be history...yes..Tomorrow is Makro day...again..

• Like 1

Back in 2004 after I escaped from a local prison facility.....needed to clear my mind on some sandy beach in Pattaya were I could blend in with the rest of the convicts.....lol.....never looked back, but once in awhile I do look over my shoulder just in case....????????????????????????????????

I first came here in 1982 to help clean up the environment and sell pollution control systems, including sewage plants. I soon discovered that they had no concept of what pollution was and the effluent was running down the streets into the khlongs and into to the sea. At that time the only plant in the whole of Thailand, was at one hotel in Pattaya which had a sewage plant because it was an R&R HQ for the US Army serving during the Vietnam war. Came here permanently in 1994 to work with my Agent when we launched the first packaged sewage treatment systems.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 9:22 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

for me I was a backpacker.

Thailand was my first solo backpacking adventure at the tender age of 19.

After a summer working in the Mediterranean I was looking for somewhere a bit rough and ready to see out the winter months.

Thailand seemed to fit the bill perfectly so I booked my flight as soon as I landed back in gloomy England.

I landed on the Khaosan road at about 3 in the morning in the middle of January,

all rooms on the road were full so ended up walking to soi rambutri and got myself a double room with fan and private bathroom for 120 baht.

after about 3/4 days (once recovered from the jet lag) I travelled north to chiang mai, did some trekking in the mountains in Pai, experimented with the 'medicines' up there then headed south for the islands.

Met a few women along the way, both thai and farang who made my trip all the more magical.

I fell in love with the country at that point and decided to find a job and haven't really looked back since..

All the magic has has since gone though,

around 2013/14 things started to change for the worse.

I am hoping those once magical & spontaneous days will return after covid is over but I'm not so sure.

So that is why I first came to Thailand.

I was a young kid in search of adventure and I found it.

Those first 2 months in Thailand were amazing and I wouldn't change that decision for anything.

Why did you lot come to Thailand?

Is your story similar to mine?

Hope you are having a great weekend ???? 

Pretty similar story to yours, Liverpoolfan. Having done the Holy Grail from the UK to Nepal by both the Magic Bus and hitchhiking back in late 1960s, decided to see what's beyond the forbidden "no overland" route. First trip to Chiang Mai and the north in 1973, returned in 1977 to Samui and the south, and there couldn't have been more than 5 years thereafter when Thailand would have been "skipped" or "ignored" altogether. 

The last 10 years, well, you've said it all, but I'm not ready yet to pack up.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:32 AM, Pilotman said:

Came to Thailand first time at age 18 with the Military on a combined exercise.  Loved it, but at that time I  much preferred Singapore as it was much more fun.  Thailand seemed very backward in those days.   

So what's changed? ????

On 1/10/2021 at 11:05 AM, CharlieH said:

2003 first time, 2006 met the wife, been here ever since. 15 years come March.

Almost exactly the same as me, although I first came in 2001. but made two returns to Thailand after meeting my wife in 2006, just to make sure I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So what's changed? ????

everything about the two places. I still like Singapore a lot, but it is very expensive to live there.  Bangkok has become a nightmare of bad planning pollution, dirt, filth and scams,  but the rest of Thailand, especially in the EEC where I live,  has caught up in terms of infrastructure and services and is a fine place to retire. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SW Happy said:

Great story. Not that its going to happen but why go back to USA for 3 years for 3 mill. sounds like a waste of 3 years considering the great life you have in Thailand. As they say money does not buy happiness. But I suppose it helps along the way. ????

I would do it. $3,000,000 would be very helpful right now. But, 36 months in the US would be quite painful. Worth it? Yes. Would I do it for any other reasons? No.

13 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Prayuth used to be a young lad...

The was a very long time ago. And I doubt if he was an idealistic youth, nor a visionary sort. He does not even have a higher education. It appears he joined the army right out of middle school. So, he was not what I would describe as a normal, much less a progressive youth. It was all ra ra for him. 

Prayuth was born on 21 March 1954 in a military family in Thailand's north eastern province Nakhon Ratchasima. After finishing his middle-level education from the Wat Nuannoradit School, he was sent to the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School and later joined the prestigious Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The was a very long time ago. And I doubt if he was an idealistic youth, nor a visionary sort. He does not even have a higher education. It appears he joined the army right out of middle school. So, he was not what I would describe as a normal, much less a progressive youth. It was all ra ra for him. 

Prayuth was born on 21 March 1954 in a military family in Thailand's north eastern province Nakhon Ratchasima. After finishing his middle-level education from the Wat Nuannoradit School, he was sent to the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School and later joined the prestigious Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy.

So, he's done really well in his career.  Kudos to him. His Military education would have been comparable to a University education and training. 

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

So, he's done really well in his career.  Kudos to him. His Military education would have been comparable to a University education and training. 

No doubt he has had great success in his career. But, is he equipped to be leading the nation in a time of crisis? Many of us, and most Thais I speak with, give a resounding NO! He needs to resign. The sooner the better. The nation needs to start moving forward, and end it's incessant backwards slide. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No doubt he has had great success in his career. But, is he equipped to be leading the nation in a time of crisis? Many of us, and most Thais I speak with, give a resounding NO! He needs to resign. The sooner the better. The nation needs to start moving forward, and end it's incessant backwards slide. 

To be honest I have been impressed with the way he and his Cabinet have been dealing with Covid.  It has kept us all relatively safe and healthy by combining strict rules, but also with some pragmatism and they are doing a much better job than very many Western governments.  He's okay in my book, not perfect of course, but who is in that position, not too bad at all.  Some of the alternative muppets are a frightening prospect for Thailand. What you don't need in that position is an over thinking intellectual.  We don't have that here and good  for that . 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

Was actively looking for a country with a lower cost of living in which to retire. Mexico, Ecuador, Panama Canal Zone, Philippines, Thailand? Looked at cost, medical care, security, prevalence of religion. In the end made four exploratory trips of one month each over 2009-2010. Traveled around read 3 dozen books on the country of reflecting Thai life. OK, also Buddhist in my philosophy and drawn to the look of the Asian female (yo, I am height challenged)!,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Was actively looking for a country with a lower cost of living in which to retire. Mexico, Ecuador, Panama Canal Zone, Philippines, Thailand? Looked at cost, medical care, security, prevalence of religion. In the end made four exploratory trips of one month each over 2009-2010. Traveled around read 3 dozen books on the country of reflecting Thai life. OK, also Buddhist in my philosophy and drawn to the look of the Asian female (yo, I am height challenged)!,

I'm 1.8 metres tall, but I do like small women. With the weather at present, my GF thinks of me as a giant hot water bottle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'm 1.8 metres tall, but I do like small women. With the weather at present, my GF thinks of me as a giant hot water bottle.

The benefit for me, being a “hot blooded” American is Da also seeks warmth being close to me! Oh, the things we need to put up with! Ha! Love it ...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

First came on a vacation in 1984. Stayed in Nakon Nayok and really enjoyed the simpleness and beauty.

Fast forward to 2003, decided to move to Thailand fulltime.

After I got married, and a kid, priorities starting changing over the next 10 years.

Thailand by this time was sucked into the world of western materialism, US fast food and greed.

I gave it a lot of thought and decided in 2014 to move the clan back to the USA.

First I wanted my son to have a US education. He is doing extremely well in college now.

Second was because I could jump back into corporate America and earn a lot.

We own a house and 19 rai farm in Thailand, always have a place to go back to.

Now we have a beautiful house in Florida, which has a Thai people out the wazoo, Thai restaurants, Thai temples you name it. Same same but different.

I had no desire to live out a meager life in Thailand for the next 30+ years.

My family likes it much better living in the US. Wife is a US citizen. Everything is pretty easy for them.

Went back to Thailand to install a well in 2019 and I was shocked, driving from Bangkok to Isaan, how much worse the country had become in 5 years since I had visited previously.

Air pollution in Bangkok was sickening. As in we all got sick. Saraburi by the cement plants, the pollution is so bad the sky is just brown all the time. Traffic was even more horrendous than when we left.

Life in Isaan however, in the poor rural village had not changed and probably will never change. No stores, no industry, not even a 7-11!

Cash is king, pension, social security, etc. 

Plan to keep working in the US as long as I can, probably to age 75.

What will Thailand will like in 15 to 20 years is anyone's guess?

I do not sit around dreaming about retiring in Thailand.

In the future, we always have a house to stay there if we ever wanted to visit, but that is it.

There are so many nicer holiday destinations closer to where we live now, that the whole family seems to enjoy more.

Would I move back to Thailand fulltime at age 75? Absolutely not. However, if my wife wanted to spend 1 or 2 months, that would be the only choice.

Life is what you make of it, no matter where you live.

I like it here, but you are right. Thailand is moving backwards, no doubt. I blame the regressive army for 90% of this. They are a boil on the face of the nation. Prayuth needs to go, asap. God bless the youth movement. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Mate.
any number you can throw my way? ???? 

Thailand has to be one of the easiest places to find good action, in the world. Whether you are paying or not. As long as you are assertive, confident and have something to say. The hurdles for sex here seem to be incredibly low. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

When people ask me why I chose Thailand, (especially American women, who assume they know) I tell them I have always been an archeological enthusiast and that I especially love Sukhothai temples. I am particularly passionate about the mandapa (porticos), chedi (stupas) and viharns (assembly halls) and have been studying them for 40 years now. 

Talk about stopping them in their tracks and making them question their preconceived notions about me! Fun, fun. 

• Haha 2