PM will allow local administration to buy FDA-approved vaccines

snoop1130

PM will allow local administration to buy FDA-approved vaccines

COVID-19-vaccine.jpg

(FILES) In this file photo a pharmacist fills a syringe to prepare a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine for front-line health care workers at a vaccination site at Torrance Memorial Medical Center on December 19, 2020 in Torrance, California. – Canada announced on January 12, 2021 a deal to secure an additional 20 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine, which would allow for more than half of Canadians to be inoculated before summer. The American and German pharmaceutical giants will also accelerate deliveries of their jointly-developed vaccine over the coming months, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a news conference. (Photo by Patrick T. FALLON / AFP)

Local government bodies in Thailand will be allowed to acquire COVID-19 vaccines using their own budgets, but the vaccines must be approved by the Food and Drug administration of the country of origin, and the Thai FDA.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said today that he understands that a lot of people have high hopes for the vaccines and the government is acquiring them through many channels.

He said the government is trying its best, but it will be difficult to please everyone. He said the important point is to ensure that as many people as possible get inoculated.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-will-allow-local-administration-to-buy-fda-approved-vaccines/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-13

Sounds to me like the go ahead, green light, was given for a free for all in obtaining vaccines.  I wonder how many of the Amphurs will be trying to buy vaccines for their local communities and what they may charge accordingly.  I thought the Government had ordered around 32 million dosages of the vaccines, as well as producing the AstraZenica vaccine here in Thailand as well.  I am kind of confused as to the reality of the entire issue.  To me when This started it sounded like MOPH was taking the lead, but now I fear that mass confusion abounds and it truly will be a free for all.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, madmitch said:

The article doesn't give many details.

Are they implying that local authorities can import vaccines or purchase from a central source within Thailand?

Whichever it is, it doesn't seem a good idea to me in a country that's riddled with corruption.

Actually, any such decisions to adopt/use any such vaccines should be derived from health/medical/science circles, less the political/military bosses -

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

but the vaccines must be approved by the Food and Drug administration of the country of origin, and the Thai FDA.

"The country of origin", this sounds like a get out for the Chinese version ............

• Like 1

15 hours ago, keith101 said:

This and Moderna are the only vaccines i would be interested in having and possibly AstraZeneca as a last resort

I agree but I  do add the Johnson and Johnson to the pool of Pfizer and Moderna.  J&J is a single dose vaccine that can be kept in normal refrigeration.  It also seems to induce excellent antibody response in 98% of the recipients.

Now someone may have been blowing smoke up my kilt so I'll keep a jaundiced  eye on this one..  I expect a request for certification in North America around the first half of February. and we will see what the stage three trials have wrought.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds to me like the go ahead, green light, was given for a free for all in obtaining vaccines.  I wonder how many of the Amphurs will be trying to buy vaccines for their local communities and what they may charge accordingly.  I thought the Government had ordered around 32 million dosages of the vaccines, as well as producing the AstraZenica vaccine here in Thailand as well.  I am kind of confused as to the reality of the entire issue.  To me when This started it sounded like MOPH was taking the lead, but now I fear that mass confusion abounds and it truly will be a free for all.

They have not started producing 0.. They never invested in the western vaccines. Therefore there not in priority line of distribution 

What does a guy with a military academy education know about vaccines? Should medical things not be down to doctors and scientists in the medical field?

Here we have an unelected "PM" telling us what he is going to allow. 

• Like 1

Would you really trust a vaccine that has to be stored at -70° C in a country as inept and corrupt as Thailand? Even the EU has been having problems handling it.

At least the AstraZeneca one is happy in a conventional fridge, I'd sooner risk a lower effectiveness than get Pfizer's version that someone had accidentally allowed to stand at room temperature for a week before sticking it in your veins, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomauasia said:

LOL what a joke. Failed to act. Brought some bin worthy fake Chinese rubbish..Disgrace 

And, bought a bunch of the others and have setup a factory to produce the AZ jab.  Rubbish?  Naw.  But they are a bit late to the game with regards to other countries like Thailand.

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen......vaccines and vaccination sites should be tightly controlled every step of the way........god knows what some snake oil salesman might be injecting you with.....this relaxation will be a license to print money for some.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

And, bought a bunch of the others and have setup a factory to produce the AZ jab.  Rubbish?  Naw.  But they are a bit late to the game with regards to other countries like Thailand.

I don't understand you. Yes the Chinese is rubbish. The Oxford  l chose second. 1st Pfizer..And the bla bla manufacturing will drag on forever. He never invested 0. They are a joke. We will make our own cure it works on animals bla bla. It's now vanished 

Joke 

28 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

I don't understand you. Yes the Chinese is rubbish. The Oxford  l chose second. 1st Pfizer..And the bla bla manufacturing will drag on forever. He never invested 0. They are a joke. We will make our own cure it works on animals bla bla. It's now vanished 

Joke 

The AZ jab being made here is done by a company owned by Crown Properties. Understood?

22 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

It's only a matter of time before fake vaccines start to become available...

Especially with every Somchai charged with their purchase, ".... which one gives me the most margin"