Tourism: the way forward

KKr

the European counterpart of the Asian Development Bank helps Egypt to recover its Tourism sector. 

Similar news on developments in Thailand would really help to refocus the Tourism sector by helping the creation of a strategic plan how to kick-start recovery of the incoming Tourism sector; by re-defining the unique selling points for Thailand; supporting targeted development of infrastructure; and plan for targeted support and survival measures while restructuring the tourism sector into a sustainable revenue generator.

What comes to mind are truly sustainable higher value-added Tourism of Nature and of Coastal areas of the Country; re-creating Culture and History oriented Tourism; enhance Medical Tourism; and surely there are other feasible ideas.

https://www.ebrd.com/news/2021/egypt-launches-ebrdunwto-tourism-recovery-assistance-package.html

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Pretty sure the story 2 days ago was not to let tourism get back to previous levels, now suddenly its sell sell sell

I certainly would go along with this suggestion. Even to a greater extent.

Much less foreign tourism as well as foreign residency can only be beneficial that most can't fathom nor recognize.

They had it good, they said they didn't need tourists, but all I hear for the past 12 months is how they need to this, that and other, all they have to do is realise that running around with chooks without heads on and publicising it, isn't going to do anything.

Like the rest of us, they need to sit it out, normality will return, i.e. unless they want to continue giving everybody anxiety.

Agree with everything richard-smith237 said above, especially the very last part, the overwhelming degree of greed, and I will add to that, i.e. Anutin didn't do his country any favours, and I am sure he lost more than a few tourists, ex-pat farangs living here, never to return, just as well he was pulled aside and silenced, idiot !

Edited by 4MyEgo

Time will tell as always, however the truth is you can "target" a sector all you like but the ease (i.e. lack of barriers to enter) with which joe Thai public can open and run any business that tailors to the backpacker/affordable end of the market, of which it is both very easy and in abundance throughout Thailand, will continue to dictate the terms of the bulk of tourists visiting.

All other things being equal such as flight prices, strength of baht, inflation, insurance of course.

I see these "high spending tourist" announcements as nothing more than laughable. Almost like a memo being sent out by the intern because they feel like they should be seen to be doing something by the management but gives the rest of the office a good laugh I suppose.

• Like 1

Living here in Pattaya,i see what has happened because the tourists are no longer here( and i dont mean the Chinese tour groups that spent very little,) its now a ghost town ,half the workers in the industry have left so many shops have closed ,i fear not to open for many a year, even when this covid business is over,it will take years to get the real tourists back, tourism is dead in Thailand for a long time.