Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

You, You, You? To whom are you referring. I have never indicated how I voted on any referendum.

I have, many times, stated that I don't mind if Scotland become independent.

What I do mind is the constant blame on everyone except the Scottish electorate.

So you dont support Brexit then? If I go back and look at your posting history I wont find any posts supporting it or indeed supporting others who did vote for it?

Are you sure now?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

You should probably have a word with the people at energy-reporters.com then because clearly they could do with your superior insight..

The interconnector will allow energy to be shared between Scotland and Norway, meaning hydropower from Norway can be transferred to Scotland when renewable sources such as wind power cannot meet demand, and vice versa for periods where Norwegian sources are struggling. This ensures security of supply whilst using renewable sources which helps meet the aims and targets.

https://www.energy-reporters.com/transmission/scotland-norway-undersea-cable-approved/

Norway puts subsea renewables link to Scotland on hold

Oslo government waits for evidence of benefits before approving NorthConnect project backed by Scottish Government

But Norway's minister of petroleum and energy Tina Bru has now said her government would wait to find out how similar projects linking to the north-east of England and Germany worked out before giving the Scottish project approval.

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/norway-puts-subsea-renewables-link-21779783

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Norway puts subsea renewables link to Scotland on hold

Oslo government waits for evidence of benefits before approving NorthConnect project backed by Scottish Government

But Norway's minister of petroleum and energy Tina Bru has now said her government would wait to find out how similar projects linking to the north-east of England and Germany worked out before giving the Scottish project approval.

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/norway-puts-subsea-renewables-link-21779783

My point was that the technology and the ability exists to meet foreign demand. The suggestion was that we were, somehow, isolated from the world and that our only option was to export electricity to England. As has been shown, there is no such limitation if the will is there.

Of course, the continued focus on renewables will only make Scottish energy more attractive as other countries switch off their polluting forms of power generation and seek cleaner alternatives. 

Scotland's new target: 100% renewable electricity in 2020

As we work to fight the climate crisis, one of the most important things we can do is continue shifting towards renewable energy. And while some countries may be struggling to make that shift, Scotland is excelling. So far this year, Scotland's wind turbines have produced almost double the amount of wind energy needed to power every household in Scotland, according to WWF.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Scotland exports electricity to England.

After independence we might just sell it to someone else.

All those plucky Brexiteers sitting in the candlelight reminiscing about how this is just what it was like during the blitz ???? 

As the rest of the UK will get additional electricity from Norway via North Sea Link Scotland's electricity may not be required

https://www.nationalgrid.com/our-businesses/national-grid-ventures/interconnectors-connecting-cleaner-future/north-sea-link

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

As the rest of the UK will get additional electricity from Norway via North Sea Link Scotland's electricity may not be required

https://www.nationalgrid.com/our-businesses/national-grid-ventures/interconnectors-connecting-cleaner-future/north-sea-link

But the fact is you will have to buy it from somewhere.

Not the colossus striding the globe after all eh?

Reliant on other countries just to keep the lights on.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.  

32 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

In 2014, I wanted to remain part of the UK and in the EU.  Being in both is no longer an option.  How hard a concept is that for you to understand?

PH

The point I am making is that it was said that being part of the EU is why the Scottish voters voted remain. Yet, it would not have been that difficult for the SNP to have campaigned for leaving UK and joining EU as an independent country. Or maybe they did and still got a "NO" vote.

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Quite Normal for countries to import from other countries, Germany doesn't have any issues buying gas from Russia via  

Nord Stream 2 Or is that a policy that Scotland would veto if it joins the EU

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Oh come on, we have been buying energy from other countries for donkeys years. 

However much Scotland may lick their chops at the prospect of  being the principal supplier of energy to England, remember also that we (England) can buy from a variety of other sources.

You may wish to consider that if Scotland tries to apply punitive charges for selling electricity and other commodities to England and Wales, then we are free to go elsewhere. Do you really think that the French and the Norwegians, for example, would turn down cash on the table out of solidarity with the "oppressed Scots"? Of course they wouldn't.

A second consideration is of course that, if an independent Scotland were to try pulling such stunts, who, as it stands at present, will control their currency?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Quite Normal for countries to import from other countries, Germany doesn't have any issues buying gas from Russia via  

Your point makes absolutely no sense. There is an international market for energy. The suggestion was that we would be reliant upon lumpen technologies rather than developing infrastructure that already exists. As a country we have plentiful cheap, clean energy available to supply that market. 

I appreciate that this flies in the face of the 'too wee, too poor, too stupid' narrative that so many people try to paint for us, but the reality dispels this myth. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Quite normal indeed.

11 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Oh come on, we have been buying energy from other countries for donkeys years. 

However much Scotland may lick their chops at the prospect of  being the principal supplier of energy to England, remember also that we (England) can buy from a variety of other sources.

You may wish to consider that if Scotland tries to apply punitive charges for selling electricity and other commodities to England and Wales, then we are free to go elsewhere. Do you really think that the French and the Norwegians, for example, would turn down cash on the table out of solidarity with the "oppressed Scots"? Of course they wouldn't.

A second consideration is of course that, if an independent Scotland were to try pulling such stunts, who, as it stands at present, will control their currency?

Fact is you have to buy it from someone.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Right about what? 

I simply pointed out I don't wish to insult people who may or may not have a different opinion to me.

"Stupid" would be someone who does.

I didnt insult anyone.

I asked you if you think Brexit is a stupid idea.

You are dancing on the head of a pin and trying to imply I called Brexiteers stupid. I did not.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

With 84.3% of the UK population, the UK does what England wants. End of story.

if the 1,018,322 people in Scotland hadn't vote leave and 349,442 people in Northern Ireland hadn't vote leave

then the UK would have remained part of the EU  even though the majority of people that voted in England voted to Leave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

There are strong hints on twitter this morning, from people in the know, that something major is about to happen. My feeling is that Salmond is going to return to the front again, this time leading a List Only party. If that happens then it will be a massive win for independence - it will have only marginal effect on the SNP, who have very few list MSPs, but will destroy the unionist  bloc, which mostly consists of list MSPs. 

I hope that doesn't come to pass. Alex Salmond is not fit to be in front line Scottish politics. Apart from the current damage he is inflicting on Scotland, did you read his white paper, more holes than a bar of Aero.

Unlike brexit, independence needs to be based on a realistic plan on how to move forward, rather than delusional concepts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You fail to understand a fundamental issue here.

UK was the member of the EU that voted to leave. England and Scotland, even N Ireland and Wales had no say. The UK voted as a whole nation.

Always what suits the English, there are no member nations of the so called union, only devolved regions of England.

Whatever people want to think, the fundamental flaws are not going to go away.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You always here give me one benefit of Brexit. Numerous ones are given but the fact that the UK can make their own way in the world is classically been shown with the COVID 19 vaccine.

Which country in the EU is anywhere near the number  of vaccinated people in the UK. Nobody is even close, so all those thousand of lives been saved by not being in the EU, is just another great outcome of Brexit.

On the other hand if the UK had acted more responsibly there wouldn't have been a significant loss of life and the desperation for the vaccine in the first place.

Every gambler gets a win now and again, it is what keeps them going.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Delusional concept, there will always be a difference of opinion.

When 85% of a sample is from the same source, the outcome is effectively predetermined, the English vote to leave was 53.38%.

The devolved nations were nothing more than a propaganda exercise.

So are you saying if the total % number of votes in the EU referendum was 52% remain 48% leave the UK would have left the EU because the majority of English votes were for leave