Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

On 2/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, youreavinalaff said:

Really? Scotland owns that oil? I'll counter that it is UK oil. I'd like to be proved wrong, if you can.

Neitehr Scotland, Engalnd or the UK own the oil.  The rights to look for, find, extract and sell all the oil (and gas) have been sold to oil companies.  They own the oil.

PH

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

There are some here who think that Scotland is a financial burden on England. If that is true, the lifting of that burden must surely bode well for an English economic resurgence post Scottish independence? 

I have no doubt that England is more than capable of standing on its own two feet. Like Scotland, it has a mature and diverse economy, and while the whole of the UK is taking a bit of a battering at the moment, we will all doubtless rebound. Certainly England will become reliant on the importation of certain key resources it currently considers as its own, but there are no countries on this earth which are, to the best of my knowledge, wholly self sufficient, so that should be no huge issue. It may take some adjustment but nothing insurmountable. 

Of course, the status of the UK without Scotland will possibly need to be re-evaluated. I don't think its membership of the G7 would be threatened; my guess would be that rUK (or England, if you prefer) would be grandfathered into the slot previously filled by the UK. Whether rUK will remain a permanent member of the UN Security Council is debatable, however - I suspect that its right to that privilege will be challenged.

I do agree with you in regards to the UN and G7 but was thinking about the fishing rights the UK/England was so hard fighting for, they will be gone   555

• Haha 1

Former Deputy Leader of the SNP Jim Sillars although being a member of the SNP he will not vote for such a corrupt leadership.

"A FORMER SNP deputy leader yesterday branded the Nats “corrupt” under Nicola Sturgeon and vowed not to vote for the party in May’s election.

Ex-No2 Jim Sillars said he considers the people currently leading the party to be “highly dubious” - amid allegations of a plot among its top officials to have Alex Salmond prosecuted and jailed."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6734858/jim-sillars-snp-corrupt-nicola-sturgeon-election/

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Former Deputy Leader of the SNP Jim Sillars although being a member of the SNP he will not vote for such a corrupt leadership.

"A FORMER SNP deputy leader yesterday branded the Nats “corrupt” under Nicola Sturgeon and vowed not to vote for the party in May’s election.

Ex-No2 Jim Sillars said he considers the people currently leading the party to be “highly dubious” - amid allegations of a plot among its top officials to have Alex Salmond prosecuted and jailed."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6734858/jim-sillars-snp-corrupt-nicola-sturgeon-election/

You can always count on Krishnan Guru Murthy to put things in perspective.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You can always count on Krishnan Guru Murthy to put things in perspective.

Well thats sorted that out then, a tweet from channel 4, hardly well known for their impartial reporting.

In case you are interested RR, Salmond will be giving his evidence on BBC Parliament at 1230 UK time.

Just now, vogie said:

Well thats sorted that out then, a tweet from channel 4, hardly well known for their impartial reporting.

In case you are interested RR, Salmond will be giving his evidence on BBC Parliament at 1230 UK time.

I understand, Vogie, facts are your kryptonite. If only we could do away with facts, your posts might be more credible. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I understand, Vogie, facts are your kryptonite. If only we could do away with facts, your posts might be more credible. 

The facts are that Jim Sillars will not be voting for the SNP, what is unfactual about my post.

1 minute ago, tebee said:

and 1,661,191 (62%) voted to remain - so why was wishes of the majority ignored ?

Because they took part in a single national refendum where the total results were 

17,410,742 people  voted leave and 16,141,241 voted remain

17,410,742 is higher number than 16,141,241

if the 1,018,322 people in Scotland hadn't vote leave and 349,442 people in Northern Ireland hadn't vote leave

then the UK would have remained part of the EU  even though the majority of people that voted in England voted to Leave

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Because they took part in a single national refendum where the total results were 

17,410,742 people  voted leave and 16,141,241 voted remain

17,410,742 is higher number than 16,141,241

if the 1,018,322 people in Scotland hadn't vote leave and 349,442 people in Northern Ireland hadn't vote leave

then the UK would have remained part of the EU  even though the majority of people that voted in England voted to Leave

So now you understand why Scotland needs it sovereignty?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tebee said:

So now you understand why Scotland needs it sovereignty?

Its Simple don't take part in a national vote if your unable to accept that the result / outcome may not go in the direction that you want.

All over Europe people take part in . EuroMillions national lottery

You win the jackpot yours is the only winning  ticket  your promised a huge amount of euros by the organizers and then 24 hours before you collect your cheque the  organizers contact you and advised you that all the other people taking part have demanded a refund and therefore all they can offer you is your stake money as the jackpot prize fund

I suspect you would not be a happy bunny 

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Scotland exports electricity to England.

After independence we might just sell it to someone else.

All those plucky Brexiteers sitting in the candlelight reminiscing about how this is just what it was like during the blitz ???? 

How are you going to get it to someone else?

Humongous gurt floating batteries being towed by tugboats down the North Sea?

Edited by herfiehandbag

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Scotland-Norway undersea cable approved

Plans for a giant energy cable linking northeastern Scotland with Norway have been given approval to proceed, helping to boost the efficiency of the numerous renewable projects in both countries.

Norway is a net exporter of electricity, by a pretty big margin, (virtually all from renewable sources) so I would doubt that they would be interested in buying any more from Scotland.

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You fail to understand a fundamental issue here.

UK was the member of the EU that voted to leave. England and Scotland, even N Ireland and Wales had no say. The UK voted as a whole nation.

Then why was the UK so polarised? Clearly we are not united in the future direction we wish our respective countries to take. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Then why was the UK so polarised? Clearly we are not united in the future direction we wish our respective countries to take. 

We? I believe a majority of the Scottish population voted to remain within the UK. Just because you do not agree with the result does not make it false.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

I believe a majority of the Scottish population voted to remain within the UK. Just because you do not agree with the result does not make it false.

They did.  In 2014, when part of the argument for remaining was to ensure continued membership of the EU.

PH

• Like 2

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

We? I believe a majority of the Scottish population voted to remain within the UK. Just because you do not agree with the result does not make it false.

Yes - based on the understanding that to remain in the EU, we had to remain in the UK.

The result of the Brexit referendum is the one in question though - you know, the one that threw up this picture of a totally disunited kingdom.

main-qimg-d0aa5196ea368733dbdc3cfcfbab42f0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Yes - based on the understanding that to remain in the EU, we had to remain in the UK.

The result of the Brexit referendum is the one in question though - you know, the one that threw up this picture of a totally disunited kingdom.

main-qimg-d0aa5196ea368733dbdc3cfcfbab42f0

5 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

They did.  In 2014, when part of the argument for remaining was to ensure continued membership of the EU.

PH

How strange!!!

Reading the posts on this thread from the Scottish nationalists it seems that an independent Scotland will breeze into the EU membership.

Surely, if your argument is correct and accurate, a vote for leave with future EU membership would have killed two birds with one stone. 

And there was me thinking the Scots were planning for the future. Looks like a missed opportunity.

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

How strange!!!

Reading the posts on this thread from the Scottish nationalists it seems that an independent Scotland will breeze into the EU membership.

Surely, if your argument is correct and accurate, a vote for leave with future EU membership would have killed two birds with one stone. 

And there was me thinking the Scots were planning for the future. Looks like a missed opportunity.

Well, to be fair - the majority of Scots did vote out of this toxic, corrupt union in 2014 but the overall majority tipped to staying shackled to it by EU nationals and voters from elsewhere in the UK. Looks like we Scots are as perspicacious as you thought. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

The landscape has changed utterly since 2014.  Yet another huge vote by the Scottish electorate for the party that has an independence referendum as its number one manifesto pledge should be respected, in exactly the same way most people respected the outcomes of 2014 and 2016.

PH

No, it hasn't. It is exactly the same according to the Nationalists here. In 2014 you wanted to be independent from the UK and a member of the EU. The vote went against that idea. Simple.

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

That was then. Things have changed.

Of course you were warned that voting for Brexit would cause a rise in demands for Scottish independence but you either did not care, did not believe it or decided Brexit mattered more.

In any event you got what you voted for.

What you are now doing is trying to walk back the consequences of your own actions when in reality events have overtaken you.

You won. Rejoice in that. And let the cards fall where they may.

The opinions, wants or needs of Brexiteers carries little weight in Scotland. So sit back, relax and accept that voting for Brexit was a dumb idea but there's nothing you can do about that now.  

You, You, You? To whom are you referring. I have never indicated how I voted on any referendum.

I have, many times, stated that I don't mind if Scotland become independent.

What I do mind is the constant blame on everyone except the Scottish electorate.