Youths believed to have died of benzodiazepine overdose in ketamine powdered milk

rooster59

Youths believed to have died of benzodiazepine overdose in ketamine powdered milk

Somsak-Thepsuthin.jpg

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin

Excessive levels of a substance in the benzodiazepine family, formerly marketed as “Valium” but now called Diazepam, has been detected in the bodies of some of the young Thais who died after possibly using the drug cocktail “ketamine powdered milk”, or ketamine cocktail.

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin said today that lab tests show about 200 milligrams of Diazepam,  equivalent to about 100 sleeping pills, in their bodies, which is believed to have contributed to their deaths.

He said that 93-99% of the ketamine cocktail was found to be Diazepam and, normally, each sleeping pill contains just 2 milligrams. Consuming more than five pills is considered an overdose and can be fatal.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/youths-believed-to-have-died-of-benzodiazepine-overdose-in-ketamine-powdered-milk/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-16

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin said today that lab tests show about 200 milligrams of Diazepam,  equivalent to about 100 sleeping pills, in their bodies, which is believed to have contributed to their deaths.

Why in the world would an illicit drug manufacturer put 200 mg of a benzo into a substance?  Expensive and they are going to kill their clients, so no repeat sales.  The benzo is probably contaminated  with undesirable other ingredients. Putting people to sleep permanently is very different to getting high.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Why in the world would an illicit drug manufacturer put 200 mg of a benzo into a substance?  Expensive and they are going to kill their clients, so no repeat sales.  The benzo is probably contaminated  with undesirable other ingredients. Putting people to sleep permanently is very different to getting high.

I just checked the price on Alibaba, many types of Benzo derivatives cost less than one Baht per gram. I guess they were just not careful when mixing it, cost is obviously not a significant factor.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lujanit said:

Do you think these people  have  quality control department or Good Manufacturing Practices standards?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hard to believe, but I think it's true, that Police and Government cry so hard when the drug trade many of them profit from, surfaces in the news. And yet the sight of 10-year-olds riding their Dad's motorcycles proliferates because the usefulness of the RTP in prosecuting breaches of the law is so poor (presumably because it would interfere with the monetization of their jobs).

Pretty hard to feel sorry for any feckless Thai (usually males) who decide to take huge quantities of drugs, quantities which would likely kill an elephant. Ignorance of what one is doing is rarely a reasonable excuse - they're just as dead.

Education is a wonderful thing. It's a very great pity that Thais don't do education...

Edited by Glaswegian2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

I just checked the price on Alibaba, many types of Benzo derivatives cost less than one Baht per gram. I guess they were just not careful when mixing it, cost is obviously not a significant factor.

Do they deliver to Thailand? 

6 hours ago, lujanit said:

Benzo’s are actually very cheap to make

A tub of 1000 10mg pills made in India could be bought for next to nothing 

India even provides Africa with them, as they’re are classified listed as an essential medicine by WHO

No way 200mg Diazepam will kill anyone. Not even 200mg of Alprazolam (Xanax, Xanor...) or Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol, Flunipam...) will kill anyone, and it's dozens of times stronger. If you haven't taken these drugs before you'll sleep a couple of days, but that's it.

However, mixing 200mg Diazepam with opium or alcohol, and it becomes a totally different game. If you haven't already built up months or years of tolerance then just a minimum amount of opium mixed with 200mg Diazepam can be enough to kill you. You'll simply fall asleep and never wake up again. Not necessarily from an opium overdose, but mixed together it severely multiplies the effects and your muscles become so relaxed that you'll stop breathing. 

On the other hand, methamphetamine should have an opposite effect, to much degree a reversed effect, but the degree depends on the dosage.

Ketamine I don't have any experience with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Used in horses as a tranquilliser I believe, and it does have some use in us humans, and it is also mixed with cheap cocaine here (to cut it) and sold as the real deal!!

54 minutes ago, HOAX said:

No way 200mg Diazepam will kill anyone. Not even 200mg of Alprazolam (Xanax, Xanor...) or Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol, Flunipam...) will kill anyone, and it's dozens of times stronger. If you haven't taken these drugs before you'll sleep a couple of days, but that's it.

However, mixing 200mg Diazepam with opium or alcohol, and it becomes a totally different game. If you haven't already built up months or years of tolerance then just a minimum amount of opium mixed with 200mg Diazepam can be enough to kill you. You'll simply fall asleep and never wake up again. Not necessarily from an opium overdose, but mixed together it severely multiplies the effects and your muscles become so relaxed that you'll stop breathing. 

On the other hand, methamphetamine should have an opposite effect, to much degree a reversed effect, but the degree depends on the dosage.

Why do you keep writing "opium" when it's heroin that these kids are partying with?  Heroin, while an opiate, is not the same thing, especially when it may be cut with fentanyl.

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here

According to research, the single dose of Xanax that will kill 50% of test animals ranges between 331-1271 mg of the drug per kilo of body weight. This amount is the equivalent of 76-292 mg, or literally hundreds of 0.5 mg tablets. If one could mathematically predict a lethal dose of Xanax in humans based on the rat data, which can’t be done, the number of doses needed to kill a human would be in the tens of thousands.

Source : https://justbelievedetox.com/is-there-a-lethal-dose-of-xanax/

These deaths are caused by heroin or fentanyl - they just don't want to admit it.

My guess is that there's some kind of index of drug deaths which this series of incidents would negatively affect and they're massaging the numbers for their own reasons.

It's hilarious that they're blaming this. These people are working as Doctors right?

If they worked for me and came up with this poor excuse then I would fire the lot of them.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Why do you keep writing "opium" when it's heroin that these kids are partying with?  Heroin, while an opiate, is not the same thing, especially when it may be cut with fentanyl.

Indeed - this is a heroin and/or fentanyl problem - and we all know where that comes from - China.

Blaming it on something else is a political move.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said that 93-99% of the ketamine cocktail was found to be Diazepam and, normally, each sleeping pill contains just 2 milligrams. Consuming more than five pills is considered an overdose and can be fatal.

200 milligrams not what would be considered a fatal dose.  2000 mg is closer to the magic number.  Again.  Diazapam dosages as well as overdose and the amount needed to cause a fatality are published on the internet, well documented, and easily available to find and analyze.

The paragraph stating that five 2mg tabs of diazapam, or in other words 10mg, can be fatal is pure fiction.  It's easy to find dosage guides for diazapam and 10 mg is routinely used to treat various conditions.  I use 10mg to treat insomnia (legally prescribed). That amount actually doesn't even make me tired.  It really disturbs me when "ministers" go on the record saying inaccurate information.

I have no doubt that the combination of drugs in that powder that was snorted acted synergistically probably made that mixture lethal.
And opioid (ketamine) and benzodiazapine mixture - together - are documented as being contributing factors to OD fatalities - and God only knows what other junk that was ground up in the poison. 

Just a guess, but I doubt Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin has professional and ancillary experience dealing with drug abuse and over-dosages.  The Op should fact check his article by consulting with doctors and clinics who routinely deal with narcotic abuse and over dosages.  Not by quoting a "justice minister' who is not a doctor.  What the justice minister is knowledgeable about is throwing people into jail on drug offences.  (You get caught with this about of that drug and you are thrown into prison for this number of months or years.  With a prison population primarily consisting of those busted on drug related offences he gets top grades for that.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tifino said:

using the word 'milk' in the descriptor is a misnomer...

just imagine if Customs started describing a heroin stash discovered, by calling it a block of milk ???? 

Nah,???? they would have to call it Full Cream butter.

31 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

surprised fentanyl isn't thrown into the mix here, 100 times stronger than heroin for a fraction of the cost and right next to the main supplier of the world - the overdose king of drugs worldwide presently... 

The likely reason is that common drug testing kits do not test for fentanyl and only test for cocaine, amphetamine and heroin.  Fentanyl may be present in large concentrations and police & medics may have no clue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Heroin is made from morphine, which comes naturally from the opium poppy plant. However, nowadays Heroin is most often cut with a whole bunch of chemicals, including fentanyl. Whatever you want to call it, its potentially deadly nonetheless, even more so if its cut with fentanyl. 

But sure, I should've said Heroin to avoid confusion.

15 hours ago, connda said:

And opioid (ketamine) and benzodiazapine mixture - together - are documented as being contributing factors to OD fatalities - and God only knows what other junk that was ground up in the poison. 

I don’t think ketamine is an opioid, nor does it have a reputation for being fatal when mixed with benzos