What did you do, Sangsom?

Lacessit

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I can afford Johnny Walker, I just like the taste of Sangsom. Not the "5 year" stuff, obviously.

A good Scotch is wasted on me, I once horrified a Scottish millionaire by saying I liked whisky with Coke. He owned one of the Scotch whisky distilleries in Edinburgh. When I asked him his opinion of Glenfiddich as a whisky, he said it was a reasonable blend, more a good marketing exercise.

Evidence that everyone's tastes are different.

I would not longer choose Sangsom but I would drink it if something "better" was not available. I would usually have a Jameson on ice, or a splash of water. If I fancy a longer drink I would add the appropriate amount of whiskey/whisky to a fullish glass of soda....... I would take Sangsom but would prefer Bells.

If we are complaining about drinks producers then I have never forgiven Singha for stopping production of Singha Light.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

If we are complaining about drinks producers then I have never forgiven Singha for stopping production of Singha Light.

I only complain when IMO it's justified. I seem to be finding more justifications lately, do you know a good therapist?

• Sad 1

Ok,

3 weeks ago i bought 3 bottles of the same as in the op post.

it was 150 baht a bottle. i knew it was old, but it was the same label design as the old sang tip  label, so wanted to add the bottles to my collection.

The age of the bottles i bought were,  2542 in Thai, that is,  today's year is 2563.

I let you guys do the math. :cheesy:

Edited by quake
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, quake said:

Ok,

it was 150 baht a bottle. i knew it was old, but it was the same label design as the old sang tip  label, so wanted to add the bottles to my collection.

The age of the bottles i bought were,  2542 in Thai, that is,  today's year is 2563.

Regardless of the age, can something as low end as this product be improved with age? Really? I get it, if it is a fine Cuban rum. But this?

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Regardless of the age, can something as low end as this product be improved with age? Really? I get it, if it is a fine Cuban rum. But this?

No.

Just bought them for nostalgic reasons same as the Sang Tip I still have. 

they look good on the shelf.

maybe one day i drink them with coke.

but the point of my posts was rarely about the op golf buddies sticking him up with some cheap out of date Thai rum. and him thinking it was a nice gift.

( maybe ) 

Oh well.

i leave the thread now so someone can moan about the price of red wine :cheesy:

Edited by quake
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Aged SangSom? Wouldn't that be a bit like aged Velveeta or Kraft cheese, or aged Sierra or Pepe Lopez tequila? I mean some things in life were simply intended to be consumed as is, and it is hard to improve on a product as low quality as SangSom. If you have been able to adjust your taste buds to the point where this is not tasting bad for you anymore, you should be thankful for that alone. 

Saying superior SangSom, is like saying superior Ikea, or superior J.C. Penney's, or superior Budweiser. It is a junk product, is sold as a low cost alternative to a good liquor, is not even a whisky, is really a very cheap, very low end rum, and should be regarded as such. Right?

Why do you think I drink it with Coke?

On the subject of taste buds, IMO the Brits have theirs removed at birth by a secret government agency, thereby eliminating the electricity cost entailed in refrigerating beer, and heating pork pies. Americans are not much better, they drink a beer that looks like water with foam ( Stroh's ) and talk about aged bourbon as if it was the equivalent of Scotch whisky, when it's in third place behind Irish whiskey.

Next.

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Evidence that everyone's tastes are different.

I would not longer choose Sangsom but I would drink it if something "better" was not available. I would usually have a Jameson on ice, or a splash of water. If I fancy a longer drink I would add the appropriate amount of whiskey/whisky to a fullish glass of soda....... I would take Sangsom but would prefer Bells.

Is that what happened? I was just getting a taste for the Singha Lite, cant drink original Singha, and then the guy at my local beer shop just kept saying that he didn't have any. When did they stop?

41 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

On the subject of taste buds, IMO the Brits have theirs removed at birth by a secret government agency, thereby eliminating the electricity cost entailed in refrigerating beer, and heating pork pies. Americans are not much better, they drink a beer that looks like water with foam ( Stroh's ) and talk about aged bourbon as if it was the equivalent of Scotch whisky, when it's in third place behind Irish whiskey.

Next.

Well, that used to be the case. I recently walked into a liquor store, and in front of me was a wall of refrigerated display area, with perhaps 5,000 microbrews for sale. Ranging from $2 to $25 for a can or a bottle of beer. America has really stepped up it's game, and the local governments (it is the polar opposite here) have given them nothing but support. In addition, California in my opinion has some of the best pinot noirs on the planet for the money. Mind boggling quality. So, some have the palate. 

However, some do not know the difference between Bud Light, and a Señor Rhino Stout, from Alesong Brewing & Blending, in Hood River, Oregon. Exceptional beer. 

5 hours ago, quake said:

Ok,

If you're good in math, lets start with 2564..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, that used to be the case. I recently walked into a liquor store, and in front of me was a wall of refrigerated display area, with perhaps 5,000 microbrews for sale. Ranging from $2 to $25 for a can or a bottle of beer. America has really stepped up it's game, and the local governments (it is the polar opposite here) have given them nothing but support. In addition, California in my opinion has some of the best pinot noirs on the planet for the money. Mind boggling quality. So, some have the palate. 

However, some do not know the difference between Bud Light, and a Señor Rhino Stout, from Alesong Brewing & Blending, in Hood River, Oregon. Exceptional beer. 

Opinions differ. I'm not into fancy beers, beer is beer to me. $25 a can, that's poser territory.

I've tried some California wines, they are mostly from irrigated vines similar to the bulk wines produced in the Griffith region of Australia.They would most likely end up in cardboard casks there. Our best reds come from the Barossa and Clare Valleys in South Australia, plus Rutherglen and the Hunter Valley in NSW.

The best whites come from Margaret River, Western Australia.

https://th.wine-now.asia/penfolds-grange-bin-95-nv.html

https://www.vassefelix.com.au/product/2019-Classic-Dry-White

Edited by Lacessit

3 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Is that what happened? I was just getting a taste for the Singha Lite, cant drink original Singha, and then the guy at my local beer shop just kept saying that he didn't have any. When did they stop?

Last year.

They will try and tell you that My Beer is the same........... it isn't, it is <deleted>. 

Bring back Singha Light. I have 2 x 640 ml left in my fridge, I will drink that then send a photo of the empty bottles to Singha Corpn. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Opinions differ. I'm not into fancy beers, beer is beer to me. $25 a can, that's poser territory.

I've tried some California wines, they are mostly from irrigated vines similar to the bulk wines produced in the Griffith region of Australia.They would most likely end up in cardboard casks there. Our best reds come from the Barossa and Clare Valleys in South Australia, plus Rutherglen and the Hunter Valley in NSW.

The best whites come from Margaret River, Western Australia.

https://th.wine-now.asia/penfolds-grange-bin-95-nv.html

https://www.vassefelix.com.au/product/2019-Classic-Dry-White

Wow. Your knowledge of California wine is so lacking, it is not even close to being worthy of any sort of debate. Unless you have limited yourself to wines under $10, at Trader Joe's. 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow. Your knowledge of California wine is so lacking, it is not even close to being worthy of any sort of debate. Unless you have limited yourself to wines under $10, at Trader Joe's. 

Having worked in a wine laboratory for about 6 months, owned by a guy who was also a wine judge at competitions around Australia, IMO I can reject your assertion my knowledge of California wines is lacking.

AS I said before, I have tried California products. In upmarket  American restaurants. To me, they were thin and uninteresting.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Next.

Whoa, haven't heard Stroh's name since college when a couple of us would pool our change to get a 12-pack of the cheapest beer available!

If you want to insult Americans, pick a beer typically drunk like Budweiser, Coors, or MGD.  Even Corona would work as people drink that swill -yeah, I see people order it throughout Asia and pay import prices for it.

I don't drink much beer, but I did occasionally hit the microbreweries dotting the US landscape to the tune of ~$30 billion revenue BCV (before corona virus).  Something dark or an IPA typically.

As for American whiskeys and bourbon, obviously nobody would waste the good stuff on you.  

4 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Whoa, haven't heard Stroh's name since college when a couple of us would pool our change to get a 12-pack of the cheapest beer available!

If you want to insult Americans, pick a beer typically drunk like Budweiser, Coors, or MGD.  Even Corona would work as people drink that swill -yeah, I see people order it throughout Asia and pay import prices for it.

I don't drink much beer, but I did occasionally hit the microbreweries dotting the US landscape to the tune of ~$30 billion revenue BCV (before corona virus).  Something dark or an IPA typically.

As for American whiskeys and bourbon, obviously nobody would waste the good stuff on you.  

I know it offends Americans to be told any other nation can do better than at anything than themselves, although perhaps recent events such as a pandemic and an assault on democracy may be causing a reassessment of that mindset. American exceptionalism is embedded in your collective psyche.

I have plebeian tastes in some things, patrician in others. I agree those would be wasted on me.

You have bourbon, although why the name was lifted from that of a French royal house is beyond my understanding.

Whisky is a name reserved for spirits distilled in Scotland. Whiskey is a name reserved for spirits distilled in Ireland. While I am sure there are bottles of local spirits that grace the shelves of supermarkets in America that bear the label of whiskey, the purists claim it is sullying the tradition.

I must admit Australia is equally guilty in that regard, Sullivan's Cove whisky made in Hobart won World's Best Single Malt at the 2014 World Whiskies Award.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

I'm quite certain the previous people were referring to ' Stroh Rum' , not beer of some kind... if not they should try it. Sang Som doesn't refer  to any Whisk(e)y as it is clearly stated : Thai Rum..... 

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I know it offends Americans to be told any other nation can do better than at anything than themselves, although perhaps recent events such as a pandemic and an assault on democracy may be causing a reassessment of that mindset. American exceptionalism is embedded in your collective psyche.

I have plebeian tastes in some things, patrician in others. I agree those would be wasted on me.

You have bourbon, although why the name was lifted from that of a French royal house is beyond my understanding.

Whisky is a name reserved for spirits distilled in Scotland. Whiskey is a name reserved for spirits distilled in Ireland. While I am sure there are bottles of local spirits that grace the shelves of supermarkets in America that bear the label of whiskey, the purists claim it is sullying the tradition.

I must admit Australia is equally guilty in that regard, Sullivan's Cove whisky made in Hobart won World's Best Single Malt at the 2014 World Whiskies Award.

Yeah, supermarkets are where people go for good whiskeys.  

Like I said, nobody would waste the good stuff on you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Yeah, supermarkets are where people go for good whiskeys.  

Like I said, nobody would waste the good stuff on you.

I'm just wondering where you shop for your manners.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

In addition, California in my opinion has some of the best pinot noirs on the planet for the money.

Can't say that I agree with that, although you did include a proviso, "for the money".

I have never found anything which beats top French Burgundy, and even those Pinot Noirs from my own country of NZ, which purport to be some of the finest in the world, don't hold a candle to the French ones.

I like many of the Aussie wines, although some of them are far too "big, tannic and alcohol laden" and quite a few of the top wine critics in the world have suggested that the world could do without more 15% red wines.

I have tasted some absolutely awful Zinfandels from California, which were made for immediate drinking and without any pretence of being special, but then again every country does the same and has its bottom end wines to suit a budget/market.

On the other hand I tasted a wonderful 2017 Zinfandel called "Carnivor" last year and would love to get some of it here, but have not seen it.

Washington State has one of the best Syrahs I have tasted anywhere, sort of a cross between the wines of Cote Rotie and the best of Australia.

As for Sangsom, when I first came here I thought it was okay, then at particular bar I went to over a couple of nights, I had a few and woke up with dreadful hangovers, and I think it was because the owner had doctored the bottle and it wasn't Sangsom I was drinking, but something cut with bath tub spirit I think.

Never been onto it since, although I did try one with Coke the other evening, but now I stick to Capt Morgan if I do have one.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I like many of the Aussie wines, although some of them are far too "big, tannic and alcohol laden" and quite a few of the top wine critics in the world have suggested that the world could do without more 15% red wines.

Nothing like a good big Aussie Shiraz to go with an eye fillet steak, done medium.

The best shiraz I have ever had was from a small winery, Booth's, on the southern slopes of the Warby Ranges in Victoria. Hypnotic stuff, impossible to leave anything in the bottle once it was opened. Could only be bought at the cellar door. $15 a bottle, a screaming bargain. Usually sold out two months after it was bottled from their casks.

Three generations of winemakers there, sadly the present generation has been unable to recapture Cliffy Booth's magic.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nothing like a good big Aussie Shiraz to go with an eye fillet steak, done medium.

The best shiraz I have ever had was from a small winery, Booth's, on the southern slopes of the Warby Ranges in Victoria. Hypnotic stuff, impossible to leave anything in the bottle once it was opened. Could only be bought at the cellar door. $15 a bottle, a screaming bargain. Usually sold out two months after it was bottled from their casks.

Three generations of winemakers there, sadly the present generation has been unable to recapture Cliffy Booth's magic.

There are some stunners out there, however as I said I'm not keen on the 14.5/15% alcohol wines, and a few I've tasted some 5 years after bottling, IMO will never come round to be enjoyable.

Everyone to their own, and I remember a friend of mine in New Zealand who would seek out the most tannic, high alcohol content Australian wines and drink them, and to be honest I used to say to him, "geez Bill, this stuff will take the lining off your teeth".

I had a bottle of "Max" 2016 here the other day, obviously in recognition of Max Schubert and his efforts at Penfold's, and although it was an okay wine, it still wasn't fully developed and I wondered if it ever would come round fully.

Anyway off topic because this is about Sangsom!!!!!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 4:07 AM, quake said:

Op, have a look at the age of the bottle.

look through the back of the bottle and read the date on the back of the label

get your lady to look,its in Thai.

I suspect its more than 5 years old. ?

That's what I thought from the first time. Haven't seen that label on Sangsom since ages

On 1/18/2021 at 9:39 AM, quake said:

Thai  rum does not improve with age.

it's not like whisky. :thumbsup:

No spirit improves with age once it's bottled, neither rum or whisky

• Like 1

17 hours ago, xylophone said:

Can't say that I agree with that, although you did include a proviso, "for the money".

I have never found anything which beats top French Burgundy, and even those Pinot Noirs from my own country of NZ, which purport to be some of the finest in the world, don't hold a candle to the French ones.

That is exactly what I meant. As shown here, the last time i was back in the US, went to dinner with some serious wine collector friends. They love Burgundy, as do I. I have been drinking good Burgundy since I discovered them in the mid 1980's. But, now I cannot afford them, so I only drink them, at these wine dinners, with very generous friends. Both of these were Leroy's. One sells for around $1,300 and the other around $1,800. Not everyday drinking wines, but both stunning wines, that no California wines can touch. However, the second to last images, and the last image, are $50-70 Cali pinots that are outstanding, and a crazy bargain for the quality. I would much rather one of those, for $50, that the Burgundy for $1,800! The other images are from other wine dinners, I have had the good fortune to be invited to. Again, most of these bottles are not something I would buy on my own, but needless to say, most were beyond sublime. 

IMG_6712.thumb.JPG.9575f5130e628de922ffc82781784f48.JPG

I do too. Especially the McLaren and Clare Valley wines, as they are less fruit forward, do not fit into the Barossa fruit bomb group, and can be amazing. But, they do not have the finesse, nor the elegance of the great single estate California pinots. Not ever close.

I have tasted some absolutely awful Zinfandels from California, which were made for immediate drinking and without any pretence of being special, but then again every country does the same and has its bottom end wines to suit a budget/market.

Some the good ones, like Turley and Matrix are excellent. The Lodi wines are mostly insipid. Some of the Sonoma, single vineyard Zins can be quite good. 

On the other hand, some of the Cali cabs are world class, like the Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace, Stags Leap, Shafer, Spotteswood, Dominus, Duckhorn, Peter Michael, Silver Oak, Chateau Montelena, and Vecina. For me, the trophy cabs like Harlan, Screaming Eagle, Pride Mountain, and Bryant Family are just too overblown, and way overpriced, at $450 to over $1,000 a bottle. But, my friends love them, and I do get to taste them on rare occasion.

Some the single vineyard pinots from Kistler, the Roars, the Lucias, the Matrix wines, the Talbotts, Morgan, Tondre, Arista, Boheme, Macrostie, Roadhouse, Siduri, Williams Selyem, Wrath, and some others are utterly incomparable with any other Pinot on the planet (again, for the money). Unbelievably great wine. Stunning wine. If you have not had the opportunity to try some of these, I highly recommend them. They are not on the supermarket shelves. They are very small production wines. Some as little as 120- 200 cases. I could recommend some specific vineyards, if you are interested enough to PM me. 

On the other hand I tasted a wonderful 2017 Zinfandel called "Carnivor" last year and would love to get some of it here, but have not seen it.

Washington State has one of the best Syrahs I have tasted anywhere, sort of a cross between the wines of Cote Rotie and the best of Australia.

I love some of the Oregon wines too. The Willamette is a treasure chest of small batch pinot noir. Much of it done in an old world style. I like an occasional New World Syrah, but they cannot hold a candle to the gorgeous wines of the Northern or Southern Rhone. I particularly love CDP, and Gigondas. I could do on for days about some of these producers, but you likely know them, and they need no introduction. If you are a fan of the Southern Rhone, and you are not familiar with the wines of Rayas, Beaucastel, Charvin, and Le Clos du Caillou, you are missing some of wines great treasures. The other thing I love about the Southern Rhone, is the price to quality ratio. Incredible, world class wine for the money, as if does not appear to be collected by the super rich. Yet. 

As for Sangsom, when I first came here I thought it was okay, then at particular bar I went to over a couple of nights, I had a few and woke up with dreadful hangovers, and I think it was because the owner had doctored the bottle and it wasn't Sangsom I was drinking, but something cut with bath tub spirit I think.

Never been onto it since, although I did try one with Coke the other evening, but now I stick to Capt Morgan if I do have one.

Not gonna go there, as whisky and rum are not my thing. Tequila is. And since I travel to California, I am always able to bring back some good ones, such as Casa Noble Reposado and Anejo, Clase Azul Reposado, Fortaleza (Resposado and Anejo are gorgeous), Cuervo Reserva de la  familia, Don Julio 1942, and a few others. It is a real treat to have them here, as they are nearly impossible to find, and if you can find them, they cost a fortune. In Cali they are reasonable. 

IMG_3403.JPG

20150507_125720.jpg

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6714.JPG

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

IMG_6708.JPG

IMG-4266.JPG

IMG-4268.JPG

20150506_212956.jpg

IMG-3984.JPG

IMG_6798.JPG

IMG-4723.JPG

Edited by spidermike007

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That is exactly what I meant. As shown here, the last time i was back in the US, went to dinner with some serious wine collector friends. They love Burgundy, as do I. I have been drinking good Burgundy since I discovered them in the mid 1980's. But, now I cannot afford them, so I only drink them, at these wine dinners, with very generous friends. Both of these were Leroy's. One sells for around $1,300 and the other around $1,800. Not everyday drinking wines, but both stunning wines, that no California wines can touch. However, the second to last images, and the last image, are $50-70 Cali pinots that are outstanding, and a crazy bargain for the quality. I would much rather one of those, for $50, that the Burgundy for $1,800! The other images are from other wine dinners, I have had the good fortune to be invited to. Again, most of these bottles are not something I would buy on my own, but needless to say, most were beyond sublime. 

I do too. Especially the McLaren and Clare Valley wines, as they are less fruit forward, do not fit into the Barossa fruit bomb group, and can be amazing. But, they do not have the finesse, nor the elegance of the great single estate California pinots. Not ever close.

IMG_3403.JPG

20150507_125720.jpg

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6714.JPG

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

IMG_6708.JPG

IMG-4266.JPG

IMG-4268.JPG

20150506_212956.jpg

IMG-3984.JPG

IMG_6798.JPG

IMG-4723.JPG

This is a thread about Sangsom, but could not help commenting on the fantastic collection of wines, most of which I have tried (the French ones anyway) and was lucky enough to spend time with a French wine merchant of mine when we toured France looking for wines to import into NZ, even being the guest of Jean-Michel Cazes at Ch Lynch Bages for a private wine tasting.

I too was a serious collector of wines in my time, and started some 50 years ago, so was lucky enough to own and try many of the world's fine wines, and one in particular, since you mentioned Leroy, was one from Madame Leroy when she broke away from the family tradition and began producing wines under the biodynamic method, and the Burgundy she produced was the best I have ever tasted.

Anyway, there are other threads about wines, so back to Sangsom!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

IMG_3403.JPG

20150507_125720.jpg

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6714.JPG

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

IMG_6708.JPG

IMG-4266.JPG

IMG-4268.JPG

20150506_212956.jpg

IMG-3984.JPG

IMG_6798.JPG

IMG-4723.JPG

A great collection, although I can't help thinking with that many bottles you may have a problem with alcoholism. Yes, I'm well off topic.

When I worked in the wine laboratory, one of the perks of the job was free wine. Bottled wine would come in from all over Australia and further afield, because there are only two accredited wine laboratories in Australia, and this one had 70% of the business.

Most testing only involves 5 millilitres of sample, plenty left to take home. Flush the contents with a bit of nitrogen, seal again, as good as new. I had exposure to many varietals.

I did get some fairly dreck wines, which I would usually tip down the kitchen sink after half a glass. I got some pretty good ones too. I can still remember drinking a Heathcote shiraz which was quite stunning. When I looked it up on a site that gave the retail prices of the vineyards, I was enjoying a $400 bottle of wine.

Pinot Noirs in Australia seem to be mostly coming out of the Mornington Peninsula, I tend to favor shiraz and cabernet sauvignon.

$50 US is quite expensive by Australian standards. One can buy good local wine for $15 - $30, that's AUD. The irrigated wines are even less, $8 - $12 a bottle.

I was quite amused many years ago when I flew United from Los Angeles to Melbourne, I think Qantas was on strike or the flight may have been booked out. The mini-bottles on an American airline were all Australian wines.

I tried the offending bottle of Sangsom again last night, the kitchen sink is beckoning.

Edited by Lacessit

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A great collection, although I can't help thinking with that many bottles you may have a problem with alcoholism. Yes, I'm well off topic.

When I worked in the wine laboratory, one of the perks of the job was free wine. Bottled wine would come in from all over Australia and further afield, because there are only two accredited wine laboratories in Australia, and this one had 70% of the business.

Most testing only involves 5 millilitres of sample, plenty left to take home. Flush the contents with a bit of nitrogen, seal again, as good as new. I had exposure to many varietals.

I did get some fairly dreck wines, which I would usually tip down the kitchen sink after half a glass. I got some pretty good ones too. I can still remember drinking a Heathcote shiraz which was quite stunning. When I looked it up on a site that gave the retail prices of the vineyards, I was enjoying a $400 bottle of wine.

Pinot Noirs in Australia seem to be mostly coming out of the Mornington Peninsula, I tend to favor shiraz and cabernet sauvignon.

$50 US is quite expensive by Australian standards. One can buy good local wine for $15 - $30, that's AUD. The irrigated wines are even less, $8 - $12 a bottle.

I was quite amused many years ago when I flew United from Los Angeles to Melbourne, I think Qantas was on strike or the flight may have been booked out. The mini-bottles on an American airline were all Australian wines.

I tried the offending bottle of Sangsom again last night, the kitchen sink is beckoning.

What a waste....

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

What a waste....

Not as bad as the CUB brewery in Abbotsford. Every day, about 20 cartons of beer arrive in the laboratory there. One can or bottle is taken from the carton for testing. The rest of the carton, 23 cans or 11 bottles, is crushed because it is alcohol that has not had Customs excise paid on it.