Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) for Desktop PC

Tuvoc

I haven't used one of these before, but the power supply in Thailand is a bit less reliable than than the UK so I think one of these is probably a good idea. It would provide some surge protection and switch to battery in the case of a short power cut, for as long as the battery lasts. Any recommendations ?  Something like the one below ?  300w would be sufficient,  the PC wouldn't be pulling anywhere near that.

APC BV500i-MS Easy-UPS 500VA(300Watt) Universal Sockets by NewVision4U.Net | Lazada.co.th

Personally, I'd go for something with a bit more oomph purely to get the bigger battery (all my baby units have external batteries installed).

The BV500i-MS only has a 54Whr battery (12V 4.5Ah) which would give you about 5-10 minutes of backup before it shuts down, enough for you to save your work and shutdown your PC but not a lot else.

• Like 1

Thanks, so the 800i. Wise to have a bit more in reserve.

APC Easy UPS BV800I-MS (800VA/450Watt) เครื่องสำรองไฟสำหรับคอมพิวเตอร์งานกราฟฟิก กันกระชาก มี Auto Start | Lazada.co.th

I'll research some more but now this has jogged my memory,  APC is a well respected name so is indeed a good choice.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Yeah, that has the same battery as I'm using externally on my baby units.

I'm also in the process of converting my UPS's (4 x 300VA, 2 x 1500VA) to LiFePO4 batteries when the lead acid batteries fail.

The 300VA units run the TVs and the 1500VA units my desktop PC, routers and NAS. Keeps everything alive whilst the genset starts.

Sorry, related question, I'm trying to find a kettle lead for the computer with a Thai plug, 

i.e. here is the UK version

▷ OcUK Value C13 UK Kettle Lead 1.8m 5A fuse | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

On Lazada all I can find are "extension cords"

สายไฟ AC คอมพิวเตอร์ แบบดี เส้นใหญ่ ( Power Extension Cord US 3-Pin Power Supply Lead Extension Cable ) สำหรับ Desktop PC , Computer , Monitor , Printer ,TV (1.0mmx3) ยาว 5M ( 5 เมตร ) | Lazada.co.th

These are the same thing ? Extension cord has totally different meaning, is it just a translation thing ?

12 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Sorry, related question, I'm trying to find a kettle lead for the computer with a Thai plug, 

สายไฟ AC คอมพิวเตอร์ แบบดี เส้นใหญ่ ( Power Extension Cord US 3-Pin Power Supply Lead Extension Cable ) สำหรับ Desktop PC , Computer , Monitor , Printer ,TV (1.0mmx3) ยาว 5M ( 5 เมตร ) | Lazada.co.th

These are the same thing ? Extension cord has totally different meaning, is it just a translation thing ?

Yes it is the same thing, but longer. It is 5 metres as opposed to normal length of about a metre, probably why referred to as extension.

You should be able to get normal length in a Tuk Com or try an open air market, they often have people selling all sort of cables and things.

4 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Bit pricey, I bought one for my laptop recently(round sockets) from Tuk Com and that was about 80 baht but certainly lazada is a lot more convenient, I use them a lot.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

APC Easy UPS BV800I-MS (800VA/450Watt) เครื่องสำรองไฟสำหรับคอมพิวเตอร์งานกราฟฟิก กันกระชาก มี Auto Start | Lazada.co.th

I'll research some more but now this has jogged my memory,  APC is a well respected name so is indeed a good choice.

What you need to bear in mind that if there is a power cut, every chance the internet will go off as the distribution box loses power.

Choice will depend on what you actually need to protect.

• Like 1

On the small APC units it's not possible to turn the warning sound off, so if electricity is gone it beeps once per minute quite loud.

This is quite annoying if it happens at 3am when I actually don't care about it. I opened my unit and removed the speaker (it's soldered on), which solved this problem, but if I had known this before I would have chosen another unit.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

What you need to bear in mind that if there is a power cut, every chance the internet will go off as the distribution box loses power.

One could assume this (I did so as well before I had an UPS), but it's wrong. Since I bought my UPS I've stayed at three different locations, the internet stays on when the electricity goes off.

• Like 2

Modern PCs use a lot less power than PCs from a couple of years ago.

You can easily put a powerful PC, monitor, router, etc. on a small CPU.

You won't be able to play demanding games for 1/2 hour on battery but for most power cuts it will be good enough.

And many UPS have a PC connection for automatic shutdown.

About the quality: APC has a good reputation but I also have APC UPS fail after 13 month - just after the warranty expired.

If people want just a simple UPS I recommend buy a cheap one with the longest warranty (including the battery).

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can easily put a powerful PC, monitor, router, etc. on a small CPU.

You won't be able to play demanding games for 1/2 hour on battery but for most power cuts it will be good enough.

And many UPS have a PC connection for automatic shutdown.

If you do this you have a run time of maybe one or two minutes, just enough to safe your documents and shut the computer down.

I see in the specs from the link provided:

"Audible alarms
 Provides notification of changing utility power and UPS power conditions"

I have a similar model with the same very annoying "feature" of a loud beep every 30 to 60 seconds when the power goes out and no way to disable the beep without removing the soldered speaker. It wakes me up in the middle of the night or makes it impossible to continue using the computer in the daytime during a power outage. I agree with Jack's comment above, had I known I'd have chosen a different unit too.

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About the quality: APC has a good reputation but I also have APC UPS fail after 13 month - just after the warranty expired.

If people want just a simple UPS I recommend buy a cheap one with the longest warranty (including the battery).

I'd also say that I was using APC exclusively in the past and until 5 years ago they were excellent. Since then I've had several that barely lasted over a year. Seems country of manufacture moved to Philippines on newer ones. It would be hard for me to give a wholehearted recommendation for APC now. Surely better than some nonames, but no longer top of the crop (not to mention finding loose bits inside the boxes).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

I see in the specs from the link provided:

"Audible alarms
 Provides notification of changing utility power and UPS power conditions"

I have a similar model with the same very annoying "feature" of a loud beep every 30 to 60 seconds when the power goes out and no way to disable the beep without removing the soldered speaker. It wakes me up in the middle of the night or makes it impossible to continue using the computer in the daytime during a power outage. I agree with Jack's comment above, had I known I'd have chosen a different unit too.

My last APC had none of such audible alarm. Upon failing completely and opening it up it was clear why. After some rattling noise when turning the box, upon removing casing, speaker fell out... Well, speaker is a little too fancy word for this half cm plastic drum with a hole at the top...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you do this you have a run time of maybe one or two minutes, just enough to safe your documents and shut the computer down.

No! Modern PCs use a lot less power than you might think.

This is my powerful desktop PC with big screen, multiple SSD and HDD, etc.

I use a APC 900 VA UPS which shows a runtime of 80min. Take a quarter of that size and you still have 20min.

UPS.png.1547fa94ddea6e6f0d0b8b5a467c20ca.png

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

One could assume this (I did so as well before I had an UPS), but it's wrong. Since I bought my UPS I've stayed at three different locations, the internet stays on when the electricity goes off.

It is not an assumption, and I did say "every chance".

If you are on fiber then the box will be fairly close, when they did mine the engineer said within 200 metres, and I know mine is only about 100 metres away, goes off every time with the power, as will many others in the area.

At the end of the day it will be down to local circumstances, and again, every chance more prevalent in rural communities.

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Personally, I'd go for something with a bit more oomph purely to get the bigger battery (all my baby units have external batteries installed).

The BV500i-MS only has a 54Whr battery (12V 4.5Ah) which would give you about 5-10 minutes of backup before it shuts down, enough for you to save your work and shutdown your PC but not a lot else.

My i5 PC with 2 x SSDs, 2 x LED monitors, 2 x powered speakers and my router take 155 watts (less than 1 amp @ 220 volts). Would a 4,5 Ah UPS not last over 4.5 hours please?

Edited by KannikaP

7 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Buy a kettle plug from Radiospares online, a length of cable however long you need/want it,  and a mains plug

54 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My i5 PC with 2 x SSDs, 2 x LED monitors, 2 x powered speakers and my router take 155 watts (less than 1 amp @ 220 volts). Would a 4,5 Ah IPS not last over 4.5 hours please?

Nope, 155W @ 12V is about 13A so your 4.5Ah battery will give you about 20 mins if you run it totally flat, more like 10 mins in reality.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

If you are on fiber then the box will be fairly close, when they did mine the engineer said within 200 metres, and I know mine is only about 100 metres away, goes off every time with the power, as will many others in the area.

Fibre can travel many kilometers if properly installed, in contrast to VDSL which is about 1000 meter, and probably less in Thailand

The distribution panel for my 3bb fibre is about 3km away, and is on a different transformer as house.

So losing electricity at my house doesn't affect my internet, but if the power goes off in the area where the panel is, I lose internet even if I have power

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Even on many cheap units the audible alarm can be disabled i.e. by pressing a button for a few seconds. It's described in the manual but few people like to read them.

I read the manual which happens to be my main excitement on Friday nights to sit around reading technical documentation. My younger wife left me a few years ago, not sure why, but it was a blessing in disguise since she was forever trying to distract me while I was reading. Anyway maybe I missed something back then so here's a link to for the unit I have and on the webpage is a link to the user manual. If you can find the method to disable the beep I'll buy you a beer.

https://www.apc.com/shop/id/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-625VA-230V-AVR-Floor-Universal-Sockets/P-BX625CI-MS#

5 minutes ago, KeeTua said:
2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Even on many cheap units the audible alarm can be disabled i.e. by pressing a button for a few seconds. It's described in the manual but few people like to read them.

I read the manual which happens to be my main excitement on Friday nights to sit around reading technical documentation. My younger wife left me a few years ago, not sure why, but it was a blessing in disguise since she was forever trying to distract me while I was reading. Anyway maybe I missed something back then so here's a link to for the unit I have and on the webpage is a link to the user manual. If you can find the method to disable the beep I'll buy you a beer.

https://www.apc.com/shop/id/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-625VA-230V-AVR-Floor-Universal-Sockets/P-BX625CI-MS#

I wrote "on many". I didn't write "on all".

I still have a (not so young anymore) wife. So I won't spend my time reading your manual.