Virus expert reveals why Thailand chose AstraZeneca’s viral vector vaccine

webfact

24 minutes ago, Lingba said:

LOL..thanks for the attachment but still a bit of a mind stretch for me..I'm just trying to figure out which vaccine if any may work with the body in a for natural way in building defense

Yeh, I'm still in two minds, to either go with what we have used for decades, like the AstraZeneca way, or with the new technology, which I kind of don't like, so probably AstraZeneca or maybe nothing, have to see and wait, maybe it will kill itself off...LOL

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yeh, I'm still in two minds, to either go with what we have used for decades, like the AstraZeneca way, or with the new technology, which I kind of don't like, so probably AstraZeneca or maybe nothing, have to see and wait, maybe it will kill itself off...LOL

Yes..I was talking to a doc in america the other day and he says the AZ is the way to go as like you said it works like the old way and much better than Pfizer and Moderna which is still up in the air and who knows what they do...so I think I will wait for AZ as I'm stuck in the US now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I would be very surprised if Astra Zeneca had agreed to the technology transfer without doing a very thorough due diligence process on Siam Bio Science first.

The rest of what you referred to is political which is of no interest to me.

Seriously?  Wouldn't surprise me a bit.  If you want to do business in Thailand, you do it through the companies you're told to.  

According to a recent article, they plan to start production in May.  Gonna be a long spring.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Another reason why Oxford vaccine (perhaps others) was so quick and also effective is it has basically been in development for years (possible decade(s)) for such a scenario. It's not a last minute, rush to get it out thing. 

This  Covid 19 virus ,  can mutate rapidly .

Hope this scenario , has been planned for . ..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, impulse said:
5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I would be very surprised if Astra Zeneca had agreed to the technology transfer without doing a very thorough due diligence process on Siam Bio Science first.

45 minutes ago, impulse said:

Seriously?  Wouldn't surprise me a bit.  If you want to do business in Thailand, you do it through the companies you're told to.  

According to a recent article, they plan to start production in May.  Gonna be a long spring.

This IMO is a very naïve answer.

When a subsidiary company is going to produce, in their name, a vaccine that will have to pass a stringent approval process and will end up in many millions of people's arms, that subsidiary's ability to manufacture the vaccine properly will have come first and foremost. 

Multinational company's of Astrazeneca's stature don't just do what they're told. Their reputation depends on it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lingba said:

Yes..I was talking to a doc in america the other day and he says the AZ is the way to go as like you said it works like the old way and much better than Pfizer and Moderna which is still up in the air and who knows what they do...so I think I will wait for AZ as I'm stuck in the US now

What kind of doctor?  AZ's vaccine is an entirely new kind called an adendovirus vectored DNA vaccine. This is similar to mRNA vaccines, which are also new. Neither have been previously approved for general human use (until now).

They both use a ball (lipid or adendovirus) as a vecotr to deliver a piece of code (DNA or RNA)  in to the cell. The cell then uses the codes to make coronavirus spikes to trigger immunity.  Both types have been researched for a long time.  Read the Vaccines section here in wiki.  

Modified (recombinant) adenovirus vectors, including replication incompetent types, theoretically can deliver DNA coding for specific antigens, but as of May 2020 the technology had "yet to yield an effective vaccine for humans"...  A replication-deficient chimpanzee adenovirus vaccine vector (ChAdOx1) is being used in a trial of a COVID-19 vaccine.[44] The vaccine is known as ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (Jenner Institute) or AZD1222 (AstraZeneca).

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Abmong said:

And most importantly, it can be made locally in Thailand

That is because it's relatively easy to make.  I don't think Thailand, and a lot of other countries, have the facilities and know how to make an mRNA vaccine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lingba said:

Completed phase 3 trials peer reviewed by experts in multiple countries and tens of millions of people vaccinated all over the world and you think it is "still up in the air"? :blink:

Arnold has a message for you.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This sounds very political! 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

They are now being screened for safety and efficacy by health authorities globally, including Thailand’s FDA.

Sinovac or AstraZeneca: Which is better?

We need to see which vaccines Western countries are using, said Dr Yong.

Hilarious! Why have an FDA if you just wait and see what Western countries are using?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

There have been deaths in Ireland due to the vaccine and there are several reports of extreme reactions to the vaccine in UK. Uncontrollable body and facial movements being one. The vaccine should not be taken until it is risk free. After all there were only 50 or so deaths from the virus in Thailand. Not worth the risk if you are healthy. 23 people dying in Norway regardless of age or underlying illnesses is too many and near half the total death rate over the whole pandemic in Thailand. If the so called "cure" is as deadly as the virus then i'll take my chances with the virus.

It is not clear how many deaths owing the viras have occurred in Thailand however if you refer to the additional deaths that occurred last year the actual death toll is probably much higher. If you see people dying from  Covid you will appreciate any risks with the vaccines are really immaterial 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

It is not clear how many deaths owing the viras have occurred in Thailand however if you refer to the additional deaths that occurred last year the actual death toll is probably much higher. If you see people dying from  Covid you will appreciate any risks with the vaccines are really immaterial 

Thailand's low death count is not that far fetched if you consider they have a relatively young population with a relatively low obesity rate.  I only question the reported infections because I think there are lots of asymptomatic cases that are going untested and therefore unreported.

20 hours ago, shdmn said:

They are making about 100million doses in Thailand but only 20million are going to be reserved for domestic use.  They will probably try get more from somewhere else.

Yes, doesn't make any sense,  making 100 million vaccine, but only useing 20 million, then purchase more from elsewhere, most sensible Countries would vaccinate all its citizens first, and then suply other Countries with the surplus. 

And further to Dr Yong, think he's been reading a medical journal,  another one trying to make a name for himself... 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Yes, doesn't make any sense,  making 100 million vaccine, but only useing 20 million, then purchase more from elsewhere, and tmost sensible Countries would vaccinate all its citizens first, hen suply other Countries with the surplus. 

And further to Dr Yong, think he's been reading a medical journal,  another one trying to make a name for himself... 

QUOTE: and tmost sensible Countries would vaccinate all its citizens first, hen suply other Countries with the surplus. 

The Pfizer vaccin in the uk is imported from Belgium.

22 hours ago, impulse said:

Interesting stuff, for sure. 

But I'm only seeing an order for 2 million doses- enough to do less than 2% of the Thai population.

The title says Thailand chose AZ.  Is there any actually on order? 

Or are they waiting for the brown envelopes?  (Oh, c'mon- you were thinking it, too)

what I heard ( about a month ago in ThaiVisa) was Thailand negotiated a license to produce the Astra Zenica Vaccine locally. Another reason its probably the best option is the mRNA  need to be stored at temps around -60 to -80 degrees, has a 48 hour life in the shipping containers,  has to be defrosted in a fridge for 3 hours, then one has 2 hours to use it before it expires... tough quality control  ensuring you get a vaccine that hasn't been sitting in the fridge overnight in error.   

On 1/21/2021 at 7:22 AM, smedly said:

well written OP and good to hear a professional taking the time and talking sense instead of some uneducated unelected wooden top blurting out nonsense, thumbs up from me 

Seems like our esteemed Anutin will be injecting a vaccine into his body that was developed by a team of - the dirty unwashed ................ 

Top marks! But sorry, shaming these hypocritical puppies has no effect whatsoever...

2 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Yes, doesn't make any sense,  making 100 million vaccine, but only useing 20 million, then purchase more from elsewhere, most sensible Countries would vaccinate all its citizens first, and then suply other Countries with the surplus. 

Someone else here suggested it may be because they are required to supply neighboring countries as part of their license agreement with AstraZeneca.

It may also be a way to subsidize local supply, giving it to the gov't at cost while selling it abroad for profit.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The  Astra Zeneca's non profit statement for this virus precludes this.No profit is to be made from it. 

I'm not so sure that works the way you think it works.  That may only be for vaccine they make themselves in Europe.  I'm not sure if that applies to companies that license it.  For example, the Serum institute of India, the worlds largest vaccine manufacturer, is selling their version of the AZ Vaccine, which they call Covishield,  to the Indian gov't for between $2.50-$3.50 a dose which the gov't negotiated for.  However, they are selling to other countries at different prices that are being negotiated individually.  I think Brazil is paying about $10 a dose.  Bangladesh is paying about $4.  The private market is paying between $6-$13.  So it's definitely a negotiable price.  Not a fixed price at cost or whatever.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-india-vaccine/india-wants-serum-institute-to-lower-price-of-astrazeneca-shot-sources-idUSL4N2JM12Q

https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/serum-institute-of-india-to-sell-astrazeneca-vaccine-to-bangladesh-at-4dose/article33556173.ece

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/21/2021 at 5:18 AM, Chelseafan said:

Dr Yong explained. “The global population is more than 7 billion. Just 50 per cent of population would need 8 billion vaccines since each person has to take two doses. So it will be impossible to vaccinate everybody within this year.”

Maybe maths aint his strong point. 7 Billion vacines not 8 Billion...

Maybe allowing 12% for wastage ???

On 1/20/2021 at 8:06 PM, AlexRich said:

The Astra/Oxford vaccine is easier to store and distribute, so makes sense to roll it out quickly. 

And it's cheaper!  The UK government are selling it to 'poor' countries at cost -- is Thailand a poor country?  Will they sell it at 'a price' to wealthy Thais so they can get it first?  Will the 'people' be vaccinated after 1 the rich, 2 the politicians, 3 the police, 4 the health workers, then the 5 key workers?

23 hours ago, shdmn said:

Completed phase 3 trials peer reviewed by experts in multiple countries and tens of millions of people vaccinated all over the world and you think it is "still up in the air"? :blink:

Arnold has a message for you.

Yes because this vaccine has only been out a few months...so bottom line is there are many questions about this that cannot be answered at this time compared to other vaccines that took years of perfecting