Chiang Mai police tell motorcyclists what type of helmet to wear

webfact

32 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Problem is that most of the best helmets (and most reputable brands) are not TIS approved.

My Caberg Duke Legend, bought in Thailand, got EU certification + 5 stars on https://sharp.dft.gov.uk  but got no TIS certification,

My other helmet, Arai, doesn't have TIS certification...

... while lots of very basic helmets (Thai brands made in Thailand) get TIS certification

Sorry, but I won't trust helmets that can only pass Thai certifications

Just means that the makers of those helmets did not want to apply for TIS certification out of a cost aspect. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just means that the makers of those helmets did not want to apply for TIS certification out of a cost aspect. 

The market for good helmets here is so small that they just can't be bothered with the Thai industrial standard.

The costs would outweigh the profits? or is this TIS only for Thai products?

https://www.thaiauto.or.th/2012/news/news-detail.asp?news_id=3204

Edited by jvs
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Problem is that most of the best helmets (and most reputable brands) are not TIS approved.

My Caberg Duke Legend, bought in Thailand, got EU certification + 5 stars on https://sharp.dft.gov.uk  but got no TIS certification,

... while lots of very basic helmets (Thai brands made in Thailand) get TIS certification

Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National)

5 hours ago, pattjock said:

I don't understand what the problem is, according to the law you have to use a helmet with a TIS sticker on it. If there is no TIS sticker the helmet is not approved and you should be fined.

I used to remember seeing the ones that were nothing but hardened with something like starch. lol

Full face modular helmet when riding the big bike.
Big C special with visor when riding the scooter.

The problem with the facemasks is, if you have a properly fitting helmet, you can't wear a face mask. It'll get pulled off when you put the helmet on and you can't reach in through the front to put it back on. (Same for glasses/sunglasses. Have to get the helmet on then put on the glasses/sunglasses. Got to take them off before removing the helmet too or they get ripped off your face.)

6 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

All the best helmets that has been legally imported have been TIS approved. There is a big grey market in Thailand with helmets that have been imported without being approved to avoid tax and duty. They are still very good but not legal as they have bypassed the approval to make them cheaper.

Once again each country has its own standards and mine is better than yours syndrome.

Why is it not possible to cross recognise standards without having to get 203 differing approvals?I

I found this shocking:

Indeed, under current U.S. law, there is no requirement that any motorcycle helmets are actually tested by the manufacturer or any third party they may choose, either before or after the helmet is released to the market. That may be a factor in why more than 40 percent of the helmets carrying the “DOT Certified” label have failed performance tests since 2014 when they were tested by a third-party lab.

The DOT standard is only enforced by limited (very small sample size) post-marketing testing by a third-party under contract with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you prefer to use a helmet and you want a model that has been tested and proven to pass the certification tests that apply, you might want to consider looking for a helmet that is certified under a system that requires the helmet to pass the tests before to being labeled as “compliant” in addition to bearing the DOT certified label.

From: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/12/15/ece-22-06-motorcycle-helmet-performance-standards-set-for-2023/

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

The police motorcycle helmets are about as useful as this guys "pot" anyway:

image.png.0c49d1cbd8dbad4eacdab4898d6f31eb.png

Yes. Tin pot police, he should be swapping his helmet with the guy riding the bike. just like the Tin pot soldiers trying to run the country.????

21 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

I'm sure any helmet bought from a Honda showroom will be approved by someone.

I like the "bald head" helmet as it was be very rewarding to get pulled over by the BIB and then getting a closer inspection.....or just get black electrical tape to make it look like a helmet

Is that watermelon one come seedless?.....hey melonhead pull over!

Kudos to somchai on sticking it to the man with the pot on his head..did they give him a discount? And I dont know what his helmetless pals are laughing at as seems they would get fined(if they were farangs that is...)

BTW I will soon be selling TIS stickers online for 100 bt each as soon as I can get some printed out.....jk  ????

If you don't have an accident, you don't need a helmet.  Of course, nobody knows when an accident will happen, so a helmet is meant to be good insurance, and the better the helmet, the better the outcome.

Imagine if you will, that you are standing in a safe place on the pavement, concrete preferred.  Now imagine that your hands are tied behind your back, and someone trips you.  You're going to fall, and you will have a headache for a while.  Note, you were not moving at 70 kph.  Not even 20.   You weren't moving at all prior to being tripped.

Your legs are fine, and so are your arms.  But your head hurts really bad.  A helmet would have helped to lessen the pain.  A well-cushioned, high-quality helmet would have provided the best protection.

I only ride a Honda step-thru m/c, and both wife and I wear locally purchased helmet of the 'approved type' shown.  Left mine on seat of m/c.  accidentally knocked off onto tramac road.  helmet cracked and split by 60cm. fall.  Really gives me a lot of confidence in case of accident.

I believe some years ago some farang was fined for wearing a full-face Arai helmet as it was not approved for use in Thailand.

What more can you say?  

I would rather pay the fine for wearing an Arai and be alive after an accident than trust a Thai helmet.  Only good for keeping the flies out of your teeth.

Since I bought myself a car, I have stopped riding the Honda.