View Talay 7 side wings

mran66

Was having my usual stroll and once again wondering what is the story behind the side wings of the VT7 condo building being completely empty even been standing there for years.  I doubt it is holiding for better times by the developer, rather something to do with legal matters, either civil or regulatory one. Might well be common knowledge, just passed my eyes and ears - anyone bother typing a line or two to shed light to this one?

If it is a legal problem perhaps it's a recent one because my partner and I looked at one of the interior condos for sale on the 'wings' a number of years ago.  The unit we looked at for sale was being sold as a shell by the View Talay sales office on Thappraya.  We used to live briefly at VT7 a number of years ago and at that time there were a few wing units that had been sold--you could see the air con units on the balconies.  Some of the large wing corner units have also been sold.  We ended up not buying the interior unit because we didn't like the layout and we felt there were not enough windows for the size of the condo.

I think it's just that they're larger than the standard VT units in the front leg, and so cost quite a bit more. I was told that they're also an odd shape inside, not much in the way of right angles which would make decorating and furnishing them harder than it needs to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

I think it's just that they're larger than the standard VT units in the front leg, and so cost quite a bit more. I was told that they're also an odd shape inside, not much in the way of right angles which would make decorating and furnishing them harder than it needs to be.

4 hours ago, newnative said:

If it is a legal problem perhaps it's a recent one because my partner and I looked at one of the interior condos for sale on the 'wings' a number of years ago.  The unit we looked at for sale was being sold as a shell by the View Talay sales office on Thappraya.  We used to live briefly at VT7 a number of years ago and at that time there were a few wing units that had been sold--you could see the air con units on the balconies.  Some of the large wing corner units have also been sold.  We ended up not buying the interior unit because we didn't like the layout and we felt there were not enough windows for the size of the condo.

well still dont quite add up...if it were purely on value vs price, under normal conditions market forces would have ended up working and price would have come down to match with the value of the units, and likely led to situation that at least some of them would have found buyer...also wonder if only that, who/how would have covered the maintenance fees for those units for all these years (unless they are somehow declared as not being part of the juristic due to whatever reason, and not included in the fee-bearing units - which itself would be due to some abnormal reason).

Consequently, I am somewhat doubtful that this is the true reason behind. Quickly looking, it appeared that not a single unit was in active use (may not be the case), which, if so, would also be indicative of something strange behind the vacant wings.

Anyway, who knows, TIT!

Edited by mran66
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

You're right--they are larger and more expensive than the front 48sqm studios.  I don't recall an odd shape with the one we looked at--it was a long rectangular box.  I believe there are some odd shaped units at the turn where the wings and front section meet.  We had an issue with the price--considering it was a shell--and the lack of windows for the large space.  Also, there was a bit of a privacy issue with the curved balconies and the kitchen window was too high to look out of, if I remember.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes there was a legal dispute with the Jomtien Condotel behind them...about losing their view and maybe it being constructed closer than 200m from the shoreline...but that was over a decade ago.

Ya, long long ago that court case was settled in View Talay 7 favor (underhandedly IMHO).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These 7 condos aren't built like other View Talays with condos facing both sides of the building and a middle corridor. The thinking was, because no one would want to look at the large condo building on the east side, give each condo a west facing ocean view and an outside access walkway on the east side. So condos are long and narrow. Corner units large but expensive. The top floor corner unit (south end) is for sale now. Two floors, 25 million.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 7:27 PM, newnative said:

You're right--they are larger and more expensive than the front 48sqm studios.  I don't recall an odd shape with the one we looked at--it was a long rectangular box.  I believe there are some odd shaped units at the turn where the wings and front section meet.  We had an issue with the price--considering it was a shell--and the lack of windows for the large space.  Also, there was a bit of a privacy issue with the curved balconies and the kitchen window was too high to look out of, if I remember.  

Thais think they feel and look like coffins, and Chinese think the Feng shui is bad. Enough said. Like many condos they have not been great investments, and rental rates have dropped considerably, as they have in the other View Talay buildings. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 9:00 AM, Bangkok Basha said:

I live in VT5 on the sea view side. The view is great, the balcony is large enough for a small outdoor garden of planters, and for two people to sit comfortably. I have not lived here during the high season, when there are apparently noisy Russians returning from bars with Thai prostitutes, but for now it's quiet as a mouse. The highlight for me is the very long- maybe 40m swimming pool that is unfortunately now closed because of Chonburi Covid lock-down. Prices for rentals are very favorable. I've seen a few on the Pattaya side for less than 10,000/month. 

Rent is 8000 there, but most condo have really krap decoration and style. I would like to find one totally empty, any idea ?

Or one for sale for around 1MB if possible ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

legal activies yes...however can not really find out any clear explanation and status of the side wings that seem to be empty (or at least almost empty).

would be interesting to hear from someone who actually owns a unit there, either in main wing or side wing.

- are all/most of the units actually empty (not available for use), or just appear so for some reason?

- if not available for use, what's the story?

- who owns the titles for those and how are they taking part for maintenance fees for all these years?

yes many empty units everywhere in town, but so many in so prominent building looks suspicious, especially for someone who does not believe in conincidences...hmmm...????

not that is matters really, just wondering in these quiet times

1 hour ago, mran66 said:

legal activies yes...however can not really find out any clear explanation and status of the side wings that seem to be empty (or at least almost empty).

would be interesting to hear from someone who actually owns a unit there, either in main wing or side wing.

- are all/most of the units actually empty (not available for use), or just appear so for some reason?

- who owns the titles for those and how are they taking part for maintenance fees for all these years?

yes many empty units everywhere in town, but so many in so prominent building looks suspicious, especially for someone who does not believe in conincidences...hmmm...????

It might just be that the View Talay Development group aren't into market pricing. They set a price and hold it. The VT5 building nearest to the road has floor after floor of shells. As for common area fees they often just don't pay them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mran66 said:

The developer's sales office is in front of VT2 on Thappraya Rd. If you are going passed it maybe drop in and see what they say about it. I saw an advert online for a 86 sq m shell in VT7 for ฿8m. No way in hell is that a market price. IMG_4758.thumb.PNG.b464b5c9b2e1f817bb7ea6c5543faa56.PNG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

Rent is 8000 there, but most condo have really krap decoration and style. I would like to find one totally empty, any idea ?

Or one for sale for around 1MB if possible ?

Couple of years ago a French guy showed me a studio in VT5D he’d just bought. Totally empty shell down to the rough cement floor. Said he paid $2.1 MB, high floor, sunny side. Think there are quite a few more of these shells, maybe you could negotiate closer to $1 MB in current market. Don’t know if there’s any foreign quota left though, you’d have to check that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pegman said:

The developer's sales office is in front of VT2 on Thappraya Rd. If you are going passed it maybe drop in and see what they say about it. I saw an advert online for a 86 sq m shell in VT7 for ฿8m. No way in hell is that a market price. IMG_4758.thumb.PNG.b464b5c9b2e1f817bb7ea6c5543faa56.PNG

indeed maybe I walk in some day, just out of curiosity. maybe get a full overview.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Think there are quite a few more of these shells, maybe you could negotiate closer to $1 MB in current market. Don’t know if there’s any foreign quota left though, you’d have to check that.

I would expect so.... I know a couple of guys who own condos they normally let out,  and would sell now. Not empty shells but fully furnished studio units. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Couple of years ago a French guy showed me a studio in VT5D he’d just bought. Totally empty shell down to the rough cement floor. Said he paid $2.1 MB, high floor, sunny side. Think there are quite a few more of these shells, maybe you could negotiate closer to $1 MB in current market. Don’t know if there’s any foreign quota left though, you’d have to check that.

Empty shell are all owned by Viewtalay company and they do not discount even 1 baht, never.

Only possible to buy cheap from broke foreigner, and I guess (hope) that many will be soon, so I am ready to buy their properties <3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

Can you ask if anything around 1MB ?

Cash available by the minute.

Personally I don't live there but for sure they won't drop that low... not for furnished places or unfurnished in those buildings. (Both friends in VT 5D) The costs of just keeping them are minimal to them.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Pretty obvious IMO that these 'side wings' were added so that they would stay empty but increase the total number of units. Therefore more of the more attractive expensive front facing units could be sold to farangs under the 50pc quota.

... But if so, what's the benefit of not wanting to sell those at all as thai quota units as lower price, matching the value proposition? Instead, putting an inflated price tag on those kind of defeats tee purpose, no? 

• Haha 2

On 2/12/2021 at 7:48 AM, rak sa_ngop said:

Pretty obvious IMO that these 'side wings' were added so that they would stay empty but increase the total number of units. Therefore more of the more attractive expensive front facing units could be sold to farangs under the 50pc quota.

Many condo projects were budgeted on 49% sold, so you may have a point,  that has changed now with far more up market which attract Thai’s

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 4:07 PM, pegman said:

It might just be that the View Talay Development group aren't into market pricing. They set a price and hold it. The VT5 building nearest to the road has floor after floor of shells. As for common area fees they often just don't pay them. 

"They set a price and hold it."     Isn't there a law in Thailand  forbidding  the lowering of prices?

I seem to recall it had something to do with saving face. ????