Jump to content

Britain resists giving EU diplomats full status, sparking row


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

Britain resists giving EU diplomats full status, sparking row

 

159d6dc6c805bd1caf36510dfa3c29be.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Flags of the Union Jack and European Union are seen ahead of the meeting of European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, in Brussels, Belgium December 9, 2020. Olivier Hoslet/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

 

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is resisting an EU demand that it grant full diplomatic status to the bloc’s ambassador in London, causing a row between the recently divorced parties that spilled out into the open on Thursday.

 

Britain, an EU member for 46 years, voted to quit in 2016 and completed its tortuous journey out of the bloc on Dec. 31, when Brexit fully took effect.

 

The BBC reported that the Foreign Office was refusing to grant the same diplomatic status and privileges to EU ambassador Joao Vale de Almeida and his team as it gives to envoys of countries, on the basis that the EU is not a nation state.

 

The Foreign Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

 

The European Commission, the 27-member bloc’s executive body, said the EU’s 143 delegations around the world had all been granted a status equivalent to that of diplomatic missions of states, and Britain was well aware of the fact.

 

“Granting reciprocal treatment based on the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations is standard practice between equal partners and we are confident that we can clear this issue with our friends in London in a satisfactory manner,” said Peter Stano, the commission’s spokesman for foreign affairs.

 

Stano added that when Britain was still an EU member, it had been supportive of the diplomatic status of EU delegations.

 

“Nothing has changed since the UK’s exit from the European Union to justify any change in stance on the UK’s part,” he said.

 

The BBC report quoted the Foreign Office in London as saying: “Engagement continues with the EU on the long-term arrangements for the EU delegation to the UK.”

 

The report said Britain was reluctant to grant full status to EU diplomats in London because it did not want to set a precedent in the eyes of other international organisations.

 

The EU argues it is not a typical international organisation.

 

“It has been conferred substantial competences by its member states, has the power to adopt legislation binding on its member states, has its own decision-making institutions and its own system of judicial control, and has established a common currency,” Stano said.

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-21
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

don't give in BJ

fight out the flak and stay strong in the winds

 

this is a very old issue,

always been a weak point for EU (and EEC)

EEC didn't have ambassadors.

 

First UK agreed with full diplomatic status, now they don't.

 

Is the UK interested in diplomatic connections with the EU, or only with the individual countries?

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

EEC didn't have ambassadors.

 

First UK agreed with full diplomatic status, now they don't.

 

Is the UK interested in diplomatic connections with the EU, or only with the individual countries?

not a surprise at all, BJ is well  known for being a flip-flop  555

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

If the UK wants to break up diplomatic relationships, I guess their diplomats could be treated equally in Brussels, Paris and Berlin. 
 

 

 

in other words "" what goes around comes around""  thus they shouldn't be surprised when receiving equal treatment 555

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“Nothing has changed since the UK’s exit from the European Union to justify any change in stance on the UK’s part,” he said.

Quite right too. He can keep the same status as previously held with the EU Delegation. There's no need for a post-Brexit upgrade for an organisation that is not even a proper country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Quite right too. He can keep the same status as previously held with the EU Delegation. There's no need for a post-Brexit upgrade for an organisation that is not even a proper country.

No he cant. Its the eu countries that will decide.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

No, its for the UK decide his diplomatic status or not in the UK.

Its for tne eu to decide if he has the same. Wich is the slippery slope.

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, stevenl said:

EEC didn't have ambassadors.

 

First UK agreed with full diplomatic status, now they don't.

 

Is the UK interested in diplomatic connections with the EU, or only with the individual countries?

this problem area is way older than EU,

it is not limited to ambassadors and/or EU's representative as such

it is more about EU's place and role on the int. scene and in the zillion international organisations

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

EU officials privately accuse the Foreign Office of hypocrisy because when the EU's foreign service - known as the External Action Service - was set up in 2010 as a result of the Lisbon Treaty, the UK signed up to proposals that EU diplomats be granted the "privileges and immunities equivalent to those referred to in the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of 18 April 1961

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55742664

 

F-F-S. Boris is trying to pull a fast one again.

 

Why does he think it's okay to go back on signed agreements? He tried to do it with the 'internal market bill' and that backfired.

 

Soon we're going to have absolutely no standing around the world. No one will believe that we will uphold our future agreements if he keeps on like this.

 

A British signature will be synonymous with b-llsh-t shortly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Its for tne eu to decide if he has the same. Wich is the slippery slope.

The EU can't decide what his UK status is, it's up to our Foreign Office. That's the whole crux of this tread and is why they are crying now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55742664

 

F-F-S. Boris is trying to pull a fast one again.

 

Why does he think it's okay to go back on signed agreements? He tried to do it with the 'internal market bill' and that backfired.

 

Soon we're going to have absolutely no standing around the world. No one will believe that we will uphold our future agreements if he keeps on like this.

 

A British signature will be synonymous with b-llsh-t shortly.

Oh no, we will be pariahs in the world of commerce. Again. Just like we were until we found there were about 60 deals signed and more on the way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Oh no, we will be pariahs in the world of commerce. Again. Just like we were until we found there were about 60 deals signed and more on the way. 

And are we going to stick to, and honor those deals? Bet most of the world is wondering about that right now.

 

A man is only as good as his word. If a man can't be trusted to do what he says he can or will do, then he isn't worth much. Boris' word isn't worth a fart in a jar. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

Quite right too. He can keep the same status as previously held with the EU Delegation. There's no need for a post-Brexit upgrade for an organisation that is not even a proper country.

No, but then it´s better to break all diplomatic ties with the bloc. Just Boris "The Simple" Johnson again that wish to eat the cake and still have it.

I just wish that EU would respond with not accepting Boris diplomatic immunity when visiting countries in European Union.

But, that is what to expect from a man that can not even comb his hair.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The EU argues it is not a typical international organisation.

 

“It has been conferred substantial competences by its member states, has the power to adopt legislation binding on its member states, has its own decision-making institutions and its own system of judicial control, and has established a common currency,” Stano said.

Rather sounds like a Federal State - say it isn't so!

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

No, but then it´s better to break all diplomatic ties with the bloc. Just Boris "The Simple" Johnson again that wish to eat the cake and still have it.

I just wish that EU would respond with not accepting Boris diplomatic immunity when visiting countries in European Union.

But, that is what to expect from a man that can not even comb his hair.

Boris is the PM of a country, a sovereign state. Nobody in the EU is anything close. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

And are we going to stick to, and honor those deals? Bet most of the world is wondering about that right now.

 

A man is only as good as his word. If a man can't be trusted to do what he says he can or will do, then he isn't worth much. Boris' word isn't worth a fart in a jar. 

Most of the world is happy to sign deals with U.K.  

 

You should just be happy with your jar full. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Boris is the PM of a country, a sovereign state. Nobody in the EU is anything close. 

Yes, they are very close, and actually more entitled to diplomatic status as they represent more than one state.

Seems to me you have a problem with the meaning of close. So representing one state or more than one state, that ain´t anything close? Your reply is really laughable!

I will end it here, because otherwise I will get cramp out of contant laughs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Most of the world is happy to sign deals with U.K.  

For now! Not for long if Boris not remember his promises or go back on them as he seem to always do. Just a big mouth, with a lot og talk from a man that have dificulties to walk the walk.

Sorry, couldn´t end it. Was just too fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

don't give in BJ

fight out the flak and stay strong in the winds

 

this is a very old issue,

always been a weak point for EU (and EEC)

Childish and petty; typical of this useless corrupt and incompetent government.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Which is why they soon will backpaddle, having yet again made a fool of themselves, same as Trump did some years ago. 

Indeed Trump did backpedal, and I think the UK government will have to stop this silly humiliation.

 

I bet the EU will prevail, who wants to bet against me ?

 

 

 

Now we are not there, some open questions are :

  • "how will we get there and when"?
  • "should/will the EU take counter-measures and which ones?"
  • "will there be some second-rate ajustement in which the E.U. ambassador will still not be allowed to present credentials to the queen"?
Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...