Britain resists giving EU diplomats full status, sparking row

snoop1130

9 hours ago, Hi from France said:

I do not think that we'll get over it, I think we'll just (politely) strong-arm this national-populist government. 

Can't wait to see how and how long it will take. 

For starters, I suggest giving the 30-days notice for one of the 28 equivalences in financial services. 

Then just wait while we "get back control" and get the funds, markets and jobs in Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam wherever. 

Rinse, repeat 

How long will the UK hold up? A few days? More? Will Johnson beat the current Trump record of 3 months? 

Or is he going to backpedal and we'll see the EU ambassador present his credentials to the queen this very week? 

Wow. 'In France in your collapsing economy and failing vaccine rollout '.. oh yes in a fantasy world with that diatribe .

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hi from France said:

As detailed in several articles, EU ambassadors are much more outspoken regarding democracy, freedom of speech etc.. while traditional ambassadors are much more "diplomatic". 

So the articles and the EU diplomats themselves explains they are more often harassed by authoritarian regimes. 

So EU ambassadors should be entitled to the same diplomatic status as traditional ambassadors, but need not adhere to the same 'diplomatic' norms? I'm afraid that you can't have it both ways.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RayC said:

So EU ambassadors should be entitled to the same diplomatic status as traditional ambassadors, but need not adhere to the same 'diplomatic' norms? I'm afraid that you can't have it both ways.

Can't we? Why do all others countries in the world give EU ambassadors the same diplomatic status as traditional ambassadors, then? 

We can and we do

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Can't we? Why do all others countries in the world give EU ambassadors the same diplomatic status as traditional ambassadors, then? 

We can and we do

So you now think that EU ambassadors should be allowed to act in a manner outside the norms of what is considered normal diplomatic behaviour?

I think that you are letting your (understandable) frustration at this pretty gesture affect your judgement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

So you now think that EU ambassadors should be allowed to act in a manner outside the norms of what is considered normal diplomatic behaviour?

I do not "think they should", I just observe that they are.

And it's surprising to read you saying they can't.

It's like a brexiteer saying to marathonian he cannot run a 400 meters, you have a problem with reality.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

EU states are supposedly sovereign nations, for now.

If an EU state like Greece denied this status to a UK diplomat we would refuse that status to Greek diplomats. Same as Spain, Italy etc. For now they haven't refused so neither will we.

Yes, you could do that. 

Currently the EU wants this status for itself (an organisation not a sovereign state) and also for it's member states that are part of the organisation. It's one or the other I'm afraid. You can't cherry pick. You can't eat your cake and have it.

The EU must face the question. Is the EU a sovereign state or are the individual member states sovereign? 

Once you guys have worked that out, by all means let us know and we will grant the status as appropriate. If the EU is declared a sovereign state, the current status of its members will be downgraded. Like I said, it's time to decide, you cant be both.

Until then, keep chasing unicorns.

Wishful thinking, as usual. This is what will happen: Boris will backpaddle as he always does, and the EU diplomats will get full status. Realpolitik doesn’t care about ideology when you’re just the junior partner. You should know that by now after having screwed your economy for some sufferinity ???? 

BTW hows that vaccine rollout going over there ? Italy don't seem too happy.

I’m neither Italian nor do I know what a vaccine rollout in Italy has to do with diplomats’ status in the UK. Is there also a relationship between diplomats’ status and how UK hospitals are doing? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Once you guys have worked that out, by all means let us know and we will grant the status as appropriate. If the EU is declared a sovereign state, the current status of its members will be downgraded. Like I said, it's time to decide, you cant be both.

I fully take your point. 

For example in many world summits (like the next climate summit organized by the UK, I think) France will have two seats as France and as a EU member! 

Basically, we can both have our cake and eat it. 

I know of a country who'd like the same, but just couldn't.. 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

44 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

I do not "think they should", I just observe that they are.

Are what? Your replies are becoming increasingly oblique. It would help if you could offer examples to support whatever point it is that you are trying to make.

And it's surprising to read you saying they can't.

See above.

(I'm guessing here but are you saying that EU ambassadors should be (are?) given privileges/ status/ call it what you will over-and-above those afforded to diplomats of sovereign nations, and that this should be (is?) accepted by the international community? If so, I completely disagree. (If this is the case, please provide a link)

It's like a brexiteer saying to marathonian he cannot run a 400 meters, you have a problem with reality.

That is probably the most ridiculous, meaningless analogy that I have ever read.

You are letting your emotions run away with you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Oh dear, didn't take long for the threats to "strong arm" the UK to start!

On the contrary, it took very long, as this started back when Theresa May was PM. 

Now the UK is the aggressor there and I think we should pause and consider the motto of the Royal dynasty of Scotland "Nemo me impune lacessit". 

????

Edited by Hi from France
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

On the contrary, it took very long, as this started back when Theresa May was PM. 

Now the UK is the aggressor there and I think we should pause and consider the motto of the Royal dynasty of Scotland "Nemo me impune lacessit". 

????

Is that taken from the film Finding Nemo

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2021 at 11:19 AM, stevenl said:

EEC didn't have ambassadors.

First UK agreed with full diplomatic status, now they don't.

Is the UK interested in diplomatic connections with the EU, or only with the individual countries?

Perhaps they were until the french started turning a blind eye to illegal immigrants setting off to the uk from their shores,and harrassing british lorry drivers with petty enforcement of import regulations,such as a full stop being ommited on forms.and people wonder why the people voted to leave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Victornoir said:

I think the opposite.

BJ made this hostile decision for mysterious reasons. Big mistake from my point of view and we do not have to imitate it by equivalent annoyance.

On the other hand, sooner or later he will need an arrangement or a favor. This will be an opportunity to return the lift by recommending that he go through the 27 embassies before examining the request in Brussels.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. This also applies to all kinds of reciprocity and we, united Europeans, will continue to laugh at  clumsiness of fat boy.

And the british will all laugh when the eu tears itself apart and goes for a burton,can,t you see the eu are using these petty attacks on the uk as a deflection to the problems in the eu? By the way has the eu produced a balance sheet yet?

Other than optics, I don't even know why this is an issue.  Every EU diplomat has been nominated to represent their sovereign state to the EU.  Seems like their diplomatic status ties back to their respective sovereign state.  In that respect, their assignment to the EU isn't relevant. 

They're still a French diplomat, or a Spanish diplomat or ..  or ..  Answering first to France, Spain, etc.  Who are ultimately responsible for their behavior, care and feeding as diplomats.

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, impulse said:

They're still a French diplomat, or a Spanish diplomat or ..  or ..  Answering first to France, Spain, etc.  Who are ultimately responsible for their behavior, care and feeding as diplomats.

Not at all, they are sworn in as EU diplomats and employed by the EU. 

13 minutes ago, kingdong said:

And the british will all laugh when the eu tears itself apart 

You mean the Irish, English and the Scottish diplomats 

Sturgeon’s comments come as four-nation polling for the Sunday Times reveals a majority of voters in Scotland and Northern Ireland want referendums on the break-up of Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/24/scotland-independence-referendum-nicola-sturgeon-snp-wins-may

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

Other than optics, I don't even know why this is an issue.  Every EU diplomat has been nominated to represent their sovereign state to the EU.  Seems like their diplomatic status ties back to their respective sovereign state.  In that respect, their assignment to the EU isn't relevant. 

The only issue I have with this is that when it suited them, the UK government insisted to other countries the EU diplomats deserved a full recognition. Now it doesn't suit them their position has been reversed.

26 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The only issue I have with this is that when it suited them, the UK government insisted to other countries the EU diplomats deserved a full recognition. Now it doesn't suit them their position has been reversed.

" suited them " perhaps it did in past tense,since britain left the eu things have changed probably due to frances attitude.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

5 years now that we can read here every day that the EU is going to collapse.

You are free to believe it and say it over and over again. It justifies the teasing you get in return and helps keep us entertained.

In the meantime your banks and businesses are migrating to us at an exponential rate, to the point that we will soon have to set a limit leaving you the opportunity to pay your EU debt. So Good luck for the future, you will need it.

And good luck to you,who laughs last laughs the longest,short term pain= long term gain.you didn,t adress my point regarding a balance sheet,never mind,hope the eu can cope with tbe loss of the uks 350 million sobs a week.

6 hours ago, Hi from France said:

We can and we do

hmm

you with an education presumably higher than the average brexiteer (your words): says

all other in the world, is that so?

if you look out the window and beyond the first kerb you'll discover more than 200 of these countries of yours,

they all do as you say?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

5 years now that we can read here every day that the EU is going to collapse.

So every day in 5 years you read on tvf the eu is going to collapse.so for everyone of those 1901 days theres been a new post stating the eu is going to collapse?must have missed a few could you supply a link please.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

it would be very difficult to describe the relationship between EU and its member states more wrongly than this,

your post is so way off that it almost makes me speechless

So, the EU goes around and recruits their diplomats from their member countries?