Trump lawyer Giuliani faces $1.3 billion lawsuit over 'big lie' election fraud claims

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

A U.S. voting machine company filed a $1.3 billion lawsuit against former President Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani, accusing him of defamation in what it called his "big lie" campaign about widespread fraud in the presidential election, court documents on Monday showed.

This year just keeps on getting better

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

If attorneys are held to this standard it will radically change lawsuits in USA

Dominion will not prevail here

Actually it is a good opportunity to finally look at these machines

Certainly Dominion has likely "wiped clean" the damaging evidence

But Rudi could have some experts who can still show what really happened if the discovery is conducted  

Why that? Dominion is not the accused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be delighted if trump fox hannity and tucker were all included in a defamation law suit ( from previous cases the fox defense was we are only opinion programming no need to be truthful) pity there audience did not understand this.

As for people like trump who issue cases against anyone to silence them it would be truly justified to make them pay for spreading misinformation knowingly with no repercussions to it.

The poor delusional supporters who stormed the senate are going to have there world turned upside down financially perhaps even prison did not understand this.

2nd  slightly off point linsey Graham’s ( I need to remain relevant) like others Cruz .Rubio etc asking Biden to put an end to this impeachment and any criminal cases against trump for the sake of unity?

Best thing Biden can do is stay out of it show the world the senate and justice department are free from his interference something trump could not understand .

Im also wondering how deep the love for all things Trump if as rumored Ivanka runs for Rubios seat in 2022?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, candide said:

The next one will likely be her:

https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2020/12/28/dominion-tells-mellissa-carone-cease-defamatory-claims/4059316001/

I wonder whether Giuliani or Trump will pay for her lawyers or not. I doubt it! ????

Having watched her ''testimony'' and read that linked article I find myself wondering if an insanity plea counts in litigation such as this.

The woman is clearly barking mad, but does that matter when being sued?

"Why that? Dominion is not the accused.?

Rudy is the accused and is allowed to present a defense

He is likely to file a counterclaim (already in media) 

There will be discovery conducted and the machines will (finally) be examined

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Words have consequences.

Poverty in old age is the consequence Giuliani is facing. 

Bet your a>>> that he has no personal assets anyone can touch, but he will be able to live very very comfortaably for the rest of his life, until he dies before case reaches conclusion.

He would have structured his personal wealth well away from litigants in either trust accounts or other legal manners. Bet his homes are not owned by him, but companies set up for such purposes

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Having watched her ''testimony'' and read that linked article I find myself wondering if an insanity plea counts in litigation such as this.

The woman is clearly barking mad, but does that matter when being sued?

I doubt Giuliani will call her to testify in his defamation trial! ????

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

I think you missed the point. It's not about Giuliani's right to mount a defense. It's about the poor quality of evidence he has to work with.

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I think you missed the point. It's not about Giuliani's right to mount a defense. It's about the poor quality of evidence he has to work with.

Evidence, he could call DJT and his enablers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

i'm pretty sure it don't work that way.  discovery can't simply be an open-ended fishing expedition.

and here's the thing; rudy and friends had 60 wonderful opportunities to discover the kraken, yet we're still left with nothing but volumes of baseless allegations.

but wait, there's more!  or actually less, at least regarding these allegations.  not only is there no evidence to submit, there is also rudy claiming in court, under oath finally, "this is not a fraud case."

yes, i'm sure good old rudy will file a counterclaim, but that will likely be rejected by the court, as with his other filings, as frivolous.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Just showing the stupidity of the US civil legal system - $1.3 billion ? I mean what's the point of suing someone (rightly or wrongly) for $1.255 billion more than a guy is worth (according to wiki) ? 

Just because they sue him for that much doesn’t mean they’re gonna get that if they win! Also, usually you sue for what you think the damage is regardless of what the guy owns. 

3 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Also, usually you sue for what you think the damage is regardless of what the guy owns. 

Hence my comment of the stupidity of suing someone for more than they are worth and the intelligence of a legal team that know they cannot get what they are asking for !

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Hence my comment of the stupidity of suing someone for more than they are worth and the intelligence of a legal team that know they cannot get what they are asking for !

It’s not stupid. It’s like you wanting to sell your car for a specific price and then you add a couple of hundreds to account for bargaining that might happen so in the end you get what you actually wanted for it instead of less. 

Also, if someone were to damage your house, you’d sue for how much the damage costs to repair and not for how much the guy has in his bank account! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

It’s like you wanting to sell your car for a specific price and then you add a couple of hundreds to account for bargaining that might happen so in the end you get what you actually wanted for it instead of less. 

Going to be a hell of a lot of haggling to reduce $1.3 billion to $0.045 billion ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Going to be a hell of a lot of haggling to reduce $1.3 billion to $0.045 billion ????

????He might have to go to prison instead or declare bankruptcy, either way, if he loses he’ll be screwed and that’s their point, I guess! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Rudy can apply to have fox and oan etc enjoined. That limits his payout but greatly increases the payout to dominion because of the worth if the media outlets.

That is why it is best to sue for so much as a matter of caution. It would be negligent to sue for only the amount rudy is worth.

4 hours ago, candide said:

It's Rudy who has to provide proof that he told the truth, not Dominion to prove they did not commit a crime.

Let's assume I accuse you of murder in the media without evidence and you file a defamation complaint against me. The justice system will not investigate you. I will not be able to say: "I have no acceptable evidence to show but if you investigate him, you will find some"!

Election results have been certified, in some States they have been audited and/or recounted manually. So Giuliani will present the same evidence which has been already rejected by others courts, and it will be rejected again. Additionally, as mentioned by another poster, It's likely Giuliani will negotiate a settlement before.

Actually, under US law Dominion is going to have to prove that he got wrong even though he should have known better. But that shouldn't be difficult. There's a massive amount of evidence against him.