Told that Pink I.D card is compulsory for next extension.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

So we can expect a thread next year where you didn't get the ID card and the IO rejected your extension 

No. My plan is to apply earlier next time, and if refused, I will still have time to go down that I.D. route, but I just don't see why I need one, especially as I am in my 16th year living here with no previous problems. 

27 minutes ago, mr mr said:

because he said so ? seems the only reason he needed to give in his eyes. surprise ? 

Sometimes I wonder how much schooling some of these dudes have, Did they buy their way into the job? And how much training have they had in immi law and procedure? Some of them just make it up rather than saying I don't know or go away, you are too much work. And some are thinking "go to an agent: and then I might even get a slice of the action and I can just rubber stamp this". Speaking of stamps, my local immi officer has a least 15 and two colours in stamp pads. Seems blue is good and red is .... ? No wonder they make  mistakes on dates

4 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

Sometimes I wonder how much schooling some of these dudes have, Did they buy their way into the job? And how much training have they had in immi law and procedure? Some of them just make it up rather than saying I don't know or go away, you are too much work. And some are thinking "go to an agent: and then I might even get a slice of the action and I can just rubber stamp this". Speaking of stamps, my local immi officer has a least 15 and two colours in stamp pads. Seems blue is good and red is .... ? No wonder they make  mistakes on dates

i'm going to need 2 copies of your comment signed and handed to TV mods for further verification. 

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have both yellow house book and pink ID. Immigration have never requested either.

I think it is fairly widely accepted on here, different offices, different questions.

I had been living here for 6 years before I did my first 12 month extension in 2014, first question was did I have a yellow book. Not one I was expecting but did happen to have it with me.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I know I will get the "get a pink colored I.D. card" comments from the usual suspects here, which I will ignore, but I am asking for confirmation that this is not needed according to the written law here. 

If this is required now, it is new to me.  I have many retired expatriate friends who have been here for decades, and they don't have Thai ID cards.   I do not know the requirement if one is legally working in Thailand (possibly required then? ).

Having typed that, I am retired and I obtained my Thai ID a week ago, not because I needed one, but because my Thai wife wanted me to have one (possibly as a face saving measure)?  Turns out an expatriate woman friend of hers had recently obtained her Thai ID and was telling my wife about the experience.  Not to be outdone, my Thai wife marched me down to Phuket City hall to get a Thai ID.  Previous (last year) my wife and I obtained a Yellow Book (with my name) for the condo unit that I own in Phuket, and that Yellow Book coupled with my being married to a Thai, allowed me to get the Thai ID.

The Phuket City Hall asked for proof of my marriage to my Thai wife (which was a surprise as my wife's expatriate friend (that friend is married to another expatriate)) was not asked for such marriage proof.  But apparently the ID card has a field on it stating if one is married, and so the Phuket City Hall wanted that proof of being married to a Thai before giving me the ID.  I also had my Kor-22 (family status registry for Thai family) updated recently updated, so it was easy to provide the proof of marriage to a Thai.

I recently used my new Thai ID for a check-in to a Hotel (instead of using my passport).  I don't know if that is legal, but the Hotel was happy.

Having typed the above, I would be very surprised if a Thai ID for a retired foreigner is a requirement.

Every year they come up with more and more documents required to fuel their craze for documents and photocopies.

The photocopiers at immigration must be doing a roaring business of charging 2 baht for every page.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Getting yellow house book and then a pink ID card is not mandatory. It is certainly not required for any extension application.

It seems to be a case of an officer giving out false info.

Or needing some cash for the night out with Mia Noi.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My wife was also keen for me to have these documents. She eventually enlisted the aid of our Phu Yai Ban who shook a few trees and got things moving for us.

It obviously proves difficult for even married guys to get them. For a single person it must be nigh impossible.

Which is why I thought, right from the start, that this 'false news'.

in my local office the guy who does yellow books sits on them for months unless you bribe him he was quite upfront about it. mine took 3 days. The big boss at the office is a friend of my Mrs. ????

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Wife went to the Amphur to change her ID (we’d moved house). While at the Amphur office my wife enquired of the Yellow Book and Pink ID card.

The Amphur officer first said there is no such thing, then when my Wife pressed, was told its not for ‘farangs’ its only for Immigrant labourers. My Wife called me, I asked her to press further. 

During the discussion my Wife showed the Amphur officer a copy of my Visa and was told that my Visa is not a real visa that type of visa doesn’t exist !!!!! (comical) - my Wife pressed the issue further, the Amphur officer had to ask her supervisor. My Wife eventually achieved the goal of getting an appointment and a list of documents needed for the Yellow house book. 

After getting my Yellow-book I now now why - it took the poor girl at the Amphur office a couple of hours of paper work - it was a lot of leg work for her to process the application and give me my Yellow Book !

To summarise - A lot of people in a lot of positions have no idea of the regulations when its something they don’t deal with on a daily basis. As such when an enquiry is made ‘cannot’ is the answer usually offered as a means to the path of least resistance towards doing as little work as possible. Politely press the issue some more and you usually get what you want - it just takes patience. 

---------

On the topic of the Immigration officer saying the Op needs an ID card. The Immigration officer is wrong. He’s probably heard one of his colleagues mention that another foreigner showed such an ID card and has completely got things mixed up. 

When being told such thinks it's always good to press the issue, even ask for a supervisor. There is no need to walk away with information which is completely misleading. 

Particularly on ThaiVisa.com I sometimes read completely misleading information whereby a foreigner (poster) has been passed on incorrect information by a junior in an official position. Because its someone in an official position the foreigner has taken the information as gospel, 100% factually correct when infant they are departing with incorrect and misleading information - the usual argument on ThaiVisa.com ensues !!! 

So what was the process you experienced for getting the Yellow house book?

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So what was the process you experienced for getting the Yellow house book?

you go to the local amphur & in the Thai id section you should find the office that deals with house books.. technically it involves a police check and a few forms. many places do it in a couple of days if they sit on it a 1000 or 2 will generally make it happen.

6 minutes ago, uncleP said:

you go to the local amphur & in the Thai id section you should find the office that deals with house books.. technically it involves a police check and a few forms. many places do it in a couple of days if they sit on it a 1000 or 2 will generally make it happen.

Sounds pretty easy, i'll maybe give it a go.

Once obtained it never needs updated ( unless change or address or something ), right?

Thx.

IME in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, all I have ever needed for my retirement extension is a copy of the lease I have with my landlord. Yellow books and Thai ID AFAIK have not been introduced into the conversation.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

The house book and pink ID card have nothing to do with immigration, either you understood something wrong or the IO just told you something wrong.

If you have The yellow house book, you do not need to provide a fresh recidence certificate when you apply for visa, renew, visa, drive license, buy care/motorbike, thai sim card, open bank account etc. 

My ampur representive also tried to tell me I could not have yellow book since I was not married,, but he then whispered how much? 

Later I found the rules, not sure where, but there is no way they can deny you a yellow housebook. I will tro to look it up again, and I will bring it to him this time when we now have moved and I need a new one. 

15 minutes ago, Tagged said:

If you have The yellow house book, you do not need to provide a fresh recidence certificate when you apply for visa, renew, visa

You don't need a certificate of residence to apply for or extend a visa. The other things you listed have nothing to do with immigration.

People seem to be missing the point, the OP was told he will need a pink ID to do "next years " extension. It appears the OP got this years extension without one.

Yes, its not part of current requirements, but often some of the changes like insurance, no income letters, money seasoning etc, start with a report, next year you will need insurance etc.

I know that immigration guy, he's got a big problem, probably due to his lack of height. 

Last year, when he gave me 2 months ext for my extension for having kids, he told me I needed to do a 90 day report half way through it and he wouldn't give me another 2months for covid ext. I told him that I knew the law and walked out. I went back and got the guy at the other end, who gave me 2months.

I suggest you make sure you get another officer next time, when you go in, take a tickets, then after 5 minutes or the next person comes in, take another. 

I suggest you phone the hotline. 

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Sounds pretty easy, i'll maybe give it a go.

Once obtained it never needs updated ( unless change or address or something ), right?

Thx.

Easy for some... for other Amphur offices they want a lot of paperwork - it just depends on the Amphur. 

I needed a An Embassy Certified Copy of my Passport, translated into Thailand, and the translation verified by the MFA.

Wife needed ID, Blue house book etc. We needed a Witness. 

We had to wait for over a month for an available appointment. 

After the initial ‘cannot’ the Amphur officer was extremely polite and helpful - it took her a few hours of paperwork, I can see why she was so busy all the time and we had to wait for an appointment. 

Best thing is to find out what ‘your’ local Amphur office want. Every Amphur office can do it, its just easier than some. 

16 hours ago, uncleP said:

in my local office the guy who does yellow books sits on them for months unless you bribe him he was quite upfront about it. mine took 3 days. The big boss at the office is a friend of my Mrs. ????

In my local office you can get one, but the final signing off by the boss costs a 1000 Baht bribe.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Easy for some... for other Amphur offices they want a lot of paperwork - it just depends on the Amphur. 

I needed a An Embassy Certified Copy of my Passport, translated into Thailand, and the translation verified by the MFA.

Wife needed ID, Blue house book etc. We needed a Witness. 

We had to wait for over a month for an available appointment. 

After the initial ‘cannot’ the Amphur officer was extremely polite and helpful - it took her a few hours of paperwork, I can see why she was so busy all the time and we had to wait for an appointment. 

Best thing is to find out what ‘your’ local Amphur office want. Every Amphur office can do it, its just easier than some. 

The passport process is a bit uneccesary IMO but yeah i'll pop into Amphur and get the low down.

Has the yellow house book and pink ID been of any benifit to you?

22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Firstly, I don't need any advice of the pros and cons of a Pink I.D. card for a foreigner, but interested if any other member has been told the same.

On Tuesday I went to get my annual renewal of my extension of stay at Khon Kaen immigration, and had the same documents I have provided every year since I became eligible in 2010, Passport, TM7, Bank Letter showing adequate funds, copy of bankbook, Condo rental contract and all necessary photocopies of passport information.

As I am single, do not own property, and have my passport and Government hospital registration card as bone fide Identification documents, I have never bothered to apply for the Pink I.D. card, and never in my 15 years here been asked to produce one. However, the officer at the first desk kept on asking me for my Pink colored I.D. card, and as I repeatedly explained that I did not have one, and have extended every time with all the necessary documents requested, he then told me that next year I will not be granted the extension without such a card ! 

I don't really want to bother my landlord to go through the process of applying for the card, and with having 2 totally legitimate I.D. documents, one which I carry everywhere, I fail to see why he insists on me getting a card, apart from his typical "I am in charge and you will do as I say" attitude.

I know I will get the "get a pink I.D. card" comments from the usual suspects here, which I will ignore, but I am asking for confirmation that this is not needed according to the written law here. 

Yesterday i went with my wife to Khonkaen immigration, same papers as every year, you need 1 years statement from the bank, so off we go get that.

Back at immigration, cannot do extension without yellow tabian ban, no problem says my wife here it is.

Where is your I.D. card he asks my wife, so she showed him her government I.D. card, he did not like that.

He give my wife some grief... Why you work government and marry farang, why you not marry Thai man.

Other years immigration officer comes out to our pickup take my photo, not yesterday, lazy sod said go take your husbands photo bring it back to me.

Every year they want something different, next year who knows what they will dream up.

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

He give my wife some grief... Why you work government and marry farang, why you not marry Thai man.

This is disgusting and you nor the wife should NEVER be subjected to this <deleted> !

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Where is your I.D. card he asks my wife, so she showed him her government I.D. card, he did not like that.

In your case, I would 'push' my wife to raise an official complaint against that verbally abusive Imm officer.  When you come back to provide the pictures they want you to do in their place, she could ask to speak to the officer in charge and inform him about the treatment she got.

Just letting it slip will only harden this xenophobic officer in his attitude that 'anything goes' as he is in a position of power.

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

This is disgusting and you nor the wife should NEVER be subjected to this <deleted> !

Absolutely. Should have reported his behavior to the head honcho.

One of the reasons people preferred to do visa runs ( even though a more expensive option ) in the past was so as not to have to deal with these jumped up toe rags. 

19 minutes ago, colinneil said:

She should have responded by telling him, statistically a Thai man is more likely to be cheating on her with multiple mia nois, more likely to be out of work and sponging off her government salary, and more likely to be slamming drunk every Friday thru Monday on cheap rice whiskey. But no offense intended.

29 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wouldn't it be nice, Colin, if our wives generally had the courage, when confronted with something like this, to say "Because I didn't want an anus like you!".

Did my marriage extension at KK in December - easy as pie. Looks like KK Imm. has changed, or is it just this one bloke - at the desk beside the entrance door as reported in the OP?

As others have said, make a complaint to someone much more senior.

Archived