1-year extension (Type-OA visa) initially denied (Phuket) (both marriage & retirement)

20 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

My understanding is the Hospitals that cater to foreigners are looking forward to the business ... I just need to make certain in any medical that they understand I need it for Health Insurance and that they don't overstate any test (trolling for extra money via recommending tests - which IMHO the Thailand hospitals OFTEN do ... ). 

I know exactly what you mean, I had a full medical 4 years ago in a private hospital and they made a song and dance about a small cist on my liver, making it sound as if it was life threatening.

My UK GP discovered it 10 years ago and stated before it became a problem I'd be long since dead and buried unless I lived to be 120.

2 years ago I went to the 'well being' clinic in the government hospital for a full medical, ecg, full blood tests, x ray, scan, the lot. Small cist on my liver nothing to worry about. 2,800 baht.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A followup to this thread - It appears I may have succeeded in getting Health Insurance with LMG (their 200K THB deductible plan-1 for 7,700 THB) and I am currently waiting for a Certificate in the Postal mail.   I plan to head to Immigration in about 10-days (on 23-Feb), so I believe that is ample time for the postal mail certificate to arrive.  

As noted previous, LMG asked for my latest medical result, and then asked for all the followup reports on the Thai hospital's recommendations. As noted previous, my European doctor's view was such tests were definitely not required.  

My Thai wife talked to the LMG agent and agreed for them to write exclusion clause in the Insurance for any conditions that might arise from the hospital's recommended tests not being followed up. I signed an application agreeing to that, and sent LMG the 7,700 THB.  As I previously noted, I already have excellent Health Insurance, so I view this more as an admin fee (to get on the Thai list) using a different company (LMG) as opposed to buying additional Health Insurance protection.

I received an email from the LMG Agent saying the application was in process, and the next day received an SMS in Thai (where an English google translation of the Thai indicated a policy # and stated "protection starts 23-Feb in the process of shipping" ) .  Not a great Google translation, but my Thai wife said the Thai version indicates Health Insurance approved.  If the certificate does not show up by mid-next week, I will contact the agent and ask the certificate be sent by email.

I am moderately optimistic this will work out in time, obtaining my 1st extension on my Type-OA visa.   Its been an 'interesting' process thus far.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:26 PM, oldcpu said:

agreed for them to write exclusion clause in the Insurance for any conditions that might arise from the hospital's recommended tests not being followed up

Indeed. When I applied to LMG, I knew they'd disbelieve an application with all "no" blocks checked (as some folks might do this, believing they'd be denied otherwise). And since this was throwaway insurance, I happily checked high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, high cholesterol, prostate cancer, blah blah. No problem. Policy issued, with my concurrence that everything related to my re-exisiting conditions be excluded from coverage, even tangenital conditions, like stroke related to my high blood pressure. Of course I concurred, policy was issued, put into the bottom of my drawer, never ever to be utilized.

Bottom line: Don't be too healthy on the application as, otherwise, you might be required to take a physical.

• 2 weeks later...

To complete this thread ...

Earlier today I successfully obtained a 1-year extension on my Type-OA visa's "permission to stay" based on retirement (here in Phuket Thailand). 

As noted earlier in this thread, I needed to purchase 1-year Health Insurance from an Insurance company on the Thailand Immigration approved list. I went for LMG Insurance's most inexpensive Health Insurance for myself a 67-year old (7,700 THB), where the insurance is 200k Thai baht deductible.  I have superior Cigna Health Insurance (which comes with my pension) that covers my Thai wife and myself, but unfortunately Cigna won't go through the 'hoops' to get on the Thai approved list.  Due to the excellent (heavily subsidized by my pension plan) coverage that I get with Cigna, I elected to keep my good Cigna coverage, and simply go with the least expensive LMG Insurance.

Next year, if I still am on a Type-OA Visa, I may go for an extension based on marriage (to a Thai woman), but 'just in case' I plan to maintain the financial requirements for a "retirement" extension (fortunately that amount of money is not an issue for myself).  Also, COVID pandemic travel restrictions dependent, I may in the next year leave Thailand to invalidate my 'permission to stay on the Type-OA Visa',  and return to Thailand on a Tourist exempt Visa, apply for a 90-day Type-O Visa, and then apply for a 1-year extension based on retirement then.  < unsure if I will thou > Aside from the pandemic, the only complication may be proving my money in Thailand comes from outside of the country, as my money has been in the country for a long time.

Thanks to all for your suggestions/comments.

6 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

..., the only complication may be proving my money in Thailand comes from outside of the country, as my money has been in the country for a long time.

If you can provide evidence that the +800K on your personal Thai bank-account has been already long time in the country, your local Imm Office will almost surely accept that, without asking for proof of its 'foreign origin'. 

But of course it would be advised to enquire beforehand at your local IO to avoid any hiccups when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa because of that possible issue.

39 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks to all for your suggestions/comments.

Another suggestion assuming borders reopen.

Once your O-A Visa has expired, travel to Savannakhet (one night overstay) and obtain a new Non O Visa based on marriage there. After re-entry 400K in the bank for 2 months, apply for extension based on marriage.

No questions or proof of where the funds came from when applying for the extension.

Archived