Barking Dogs Incessantly

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

And it's the fools on here with their weak excuses that are probably just as annoying as the dogs they keep, you no doubt get some perverse pleasure from the fact that your animals ruin other people's lives and enjoyment of life, I'm very glad you don't live near me. 

Agree with you. We have 2 small chihuahua dogs and they are a breed known to bark. But we don't tolerate excessive barking from them or our other dog, and spent time to train them what is acceptable behaviour, so now they olny bark if the doorbell rings or if there is a cat trying to eat my pet budgies in the aviary outside. 

It is bad owners that give the rest of dog owners a bad name as they don't care about disturbing neighbours, and are too lazy to spend time training their dogs properly.

There is no excuse to have pet dogs barking all the time and upsetting people. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, connda said:

If you are attentive and not focused solely on the dogs that you are complaining about, just sit quietly and listen as far as your hearing will allow.  What you'll hear is that one group of dogs closest to you are not the only dogs barking.
I've had anywhere between 2 dogs to 9 dog at any given time at our home in our village where the dogs have about 2/3s of a rai of fenced in land to run.  Do they bark.  Yep.  Most dogs do.  Some breeds more than others.  Our Thai dogs are somewhere in the middle of the barking index. 
Now - why do our dogs bark. 
For a number of reasons.
1.  Strangers approaching the house.  Well - that's why we have them.  We have a perimeter fence around the property, the gates are always locked, and 'strangers' aren't invited unless we invite them.  In that case, we want them to bark.  It tells me there are people around.  Their "territorial barks" have a real distinctive sound. 
2.  Trucks and cars driving around with loud-speakers blasting advertising.  Well heck, you think that the dogs barking and howling is a nuisance?  Their barking stops when the loud noise being blasted via speakers moves on. 
3.  Village PA system.  Same as number 2.  Six o'clock in the freaking morning and the village head is playing Thai music followed by a sermon. Same at about five-thirty in the evening untll six PM.   That gets virtually every dog in the village going, but it generally doesn't last too long.  A minute of barking and howling and it stops.
4.  Pack behavior.  If my dogs seem to be barking for "no good reason" well, then you need to listen.  If my dogs are barking at night, I guarantee that in the distance other dogs are barking.  One dog in the village starts (probably because a stranger is around their house) then other dogs within earshot pick up the chorus.  It lasts for awhile and then dies out.

Now when you're in the city, that can be a pain in the buns.  And I've been in your position when I had an apartment in Chiang Mai. People across from the apartment had three Huskeys (what a inappropriate dog to have in Thailand, but I digress).  And Huskey's from my experience seem to generally be barkers.  Along with small "yip yip" dogs.  And being in the city people walk past their house all the time.  Territorial dogs end up barking all of the time.  But I bet if you listen, quietly, you'll hear dogs all over the area adding to the chorus in a pack behavior manner. 

So the problem with "complaining to the authorities" about barking dogs is that you're bothered by the dogs closest to you because they make the most noise.
If some one told me I have to make my dogs be quiet all of the time, I'm going to tell them to go make all the other dogs in the area quiet then my dog will be too.
That's just the nature of it.  But, in our village including our immediate neighbors?  We all have dogs.  So nobody says anything.  If my dogs are barking I guarantee their dogs are barking too.

If I was in an apartment and it bothered me, I'd move.  But barking dogs don't really bother me.  If you have a house and can't move - get your own dogs.  You'll eventually learn how to tune it out. 

If feel for ya - but - (and I don't mean to be cheeky) this is Thailand.

Thanks, you saved me a bit of typing

1 Yes

2 Yes

3 Yes

4 Yes

All true - the wife swears our one dog would never bark if not started off by other dogs. The main issue as I see it is the worst barking is in the dark hours when dogs feel they own the village and wander out of their daytime territory.

3 hours ago, tifino said:

there's even a Circuit on pdf currently available (for the original version only Not the mk2) 

http://kitsrus.com/projects/k126.pdf

I originally ordered mine from SIliconChip, and they have an active online ordering facility. I see the pcb is still available! 

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/ 

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/1993/May/Build+The+Woofer+Stopper 

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/10/2552 

If they make one that would silence selfish uncaring noisy disrespectful intolerable Thai neighbors without having to have a continual confrontation then I would gladly buy several and point them in many directions. Noise and Thailand is a constant battle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

If they make one that would silence selfish uncaring noisy disrespectful intolerable Thai neighbors without having to have a continual confrontation then I would gladly buy several and point them in many directions. Noise and Thailand is a constant battle.

maybe just maybe you now see the other benefit of the Test Mode ????  it is very 'human' loud... 

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Maybe they're hungry.

Throw them a sausage.

15 hours ago, Thujone said:

Maybe they're hungry.

Throw them a sausage.

No, dogs are one thing that most Thai should never ever ever have as many are so irresponsible they just let them roam and defecate everywhere and then leave them alone to cry and bark when locked up at their homes, but the noise that the mainly less educated or boisterous selfish repugnant loud rude Thai constantly spew out totally being respectful to their neighbors deserves more than a sausage tossed at them, more like a huge dirty sock to stuff in their mouths to choke on. Some see it as a way to get attention and recognition they are the stuff by means of making noise. Sort of just like another way of getting attention as some Thai like to show off gold.

We have dogs but they behave very well, do not go outside without us, and only react to noises that they don't like, such as other dogs crying or barking and the noises from the obvious. Basically if one wants quiet here in Thailand, one needs to be confrontational until they get the point and then again when they think all had settled done so they start up again. Where I am at in a semi new housing area, it is really only just several homes out of perhaps a hundred that go over the limit with noises and their animal abuse. So it has been a constant battle with their noise and the ones with dogs. I have even seen Thai homes putting up do not poo poo signs on their blocks, but never go over to confront more than that.

• Like 1

Quite different in Vietnam, most owners dogs are the same as in the west, loved family pets, rarely hear barking at night in the cities , if ever. 
I was staying in central Vietnam, my first night in this city, a neighbors dog was barking at night, as it was left outside.

I didn’t sleep well. In the morning the reception asked me how I slept, I told her the dog next door was left outside and barked. She told me she would tell the owner, after I returned from breakfast I saw her speaking to the neighbor.

I stopped and gave him an earful, told him if the dog made another noise I was getting the police. The young man looked terrified, pleaded to me not to do this, then the dog was led away on a leash, never saw it again!

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 4:04 PM, AlQaholic said:

I tried that once, it seemed to have an effect on some dogs, but with some dogs it just made them louder and more aggressive, maybe I bought some low quality. Can you give some info what brand you used?

yes ,I would interested to know if anyone has actually found/purchased a device that actually works against aggressive dogs and barking .

There is an Alsatian dog next door which the owner seems to leave on it's own to roam around their property and when I am in attendance near our border ( which is vey near my house) it incessantly barks / growls/ bares its teeth  !  I'd really like to teach it a lesson so that it goes away when I am there and being a nuisance .  Many items on Lazada are cheap and also the comments say "don't work"  / "waste of time " !! 

On 1/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, Surelynot said:

How about a set of large speakers (very large) record the dogs, then every time you go out......play the recording back to your neighbours at full blast?

What the hell....go away for the week.

and come back to a burned out house ! 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

and come back to a burned out house ! 

Good point well made.....and initially that might seem an 'acceptable' reaction.....yet if you burned down the house of the actual dog owners house that would be seen as horrendously unacceptable...strange!

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, Jen65 said:

yes ,I would interested to know if anyone has actually found/purchased a device that actually works against aggressive dogs and barking .

There is an Alsatian dog next door which the owner seems to leave on it's own to roam around their property and when I am in attendance near our border ( which is vey near my house) it incessantly barks / growls/ bares its teeth  !  I'd really like to teach it a lesson so that it goes away when I am there and being a nuisance .  Many items on Lazada are cheap and also the comments say "don't work"  / "waste of time " !! 

I just got delivered a new device from Lazada yesterday. will try it out this week and post results and brand if effective:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, thailanddogerator said:

why people always seem to have problems with dogs ? I never had any and I love them ❤️

But maybe when someones rent or buys a chithouse in a low so area shouldn't 'be surprised by who is living around ?

Not only lo so areas though, my sister in law has a nice house on a Sansiri estate. Calm and peaceful until a Thai moved in with 30 dogs claiming it was his right- to cause utter bedlam! Eventually the residents dealt with him. Our house is not lo so but we have about 12 dogs around us left out yapping all day, worst offenders are 4 owned by a naval officer opposite.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, Jen65 said:

Tried that and found same, shuts some up for a while but they soon start again, others it makes worse. There is only one remedy of course when the owners will do nothing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Not only lo so areas though, my sister in law has a nice house on a Sansiri estate. Calm and peaceful until a Thai moved in with 30 dogs claiming it was his right- to cause utter bedlam! Eventually the residents dealt with him. Our house is not lo so but we have about 12 dogs around us left out yapping all day, worst offenders are 4 owned by a naval officer opposite.

do they need food ? I can deliver for free ❤️

8 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

why people always seem to have problems with dogs ? I never had any and I love them ❤️

But maybe when someones rent or buys a chithouse in a low so area shouldn't 'be surprised by who is living around ?

sorry but you're barking up the wrong street !  My Moo Baan is quite upmarket ,clean and tidy .  Only problem is this farangs Thai partner whom thinks she owns the place and can do as she likes including letting her dogs roam and bark at everything and everyone !!   

• Haha 1