SURVEY: Gov't handouts--good idea or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Gov't handouts--good idea or not?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Thai government approved a plan to provide two cash payments of 3,500 baht to up to 31 million people.    Select the option that best expresses your views on payments.  

Feel free to leave a comment.

I find none of the answers adequate, though no. 2 is on the right path. As such I voted no. 4.

"Government handouts" conveys social inequality, ie.,

The elite showing their generosity to the population in general without accountability and transparency.

And evades an elitist government's responsibility to get adequate legislation representing the 'people' to bring permanent and fair economic relief as part of a broad economic recovery.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Because of the vast difference in living costs between country & city living some differential could be developed or is that also against human rights here as well?

Nope but a 3.500 for everyone or those that qualified as poor is easier to check and less likely to attract corruption. If you add location and stuff there are more options for corruption. 

Not that I think it will be free of corruption now but the more complicated things are the more options for corruption.

• Like 1

The big issue that is out there and open for corruption is who is and who is not.  As Saltire said there are a lot of older Thais that do not have any internet or cell phone knowledge that should be included.  The problem is how to determine who they are and how to get the money to them.

It is a great idea but anything in this country is fair game for corruption. 

Personally i think a census of each area should be carried out with the understanding that they will be verified and that the funds will be delivered by a different group.  i.e. the Province can carry out the census but the actual payment will be done by an international  NGO and any corruption will automatically mean that people will forfeit everything they and their family own as well as 10 years in jail.

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Around our town many people will pool their government money and party like there is no tomorrow (or until the money runs out). The noise levels will go up by a hundred decibels for the next few weeks.

Apparently they are not handing out cash this time. My Mrs says the payment cannot be used to buy alcohol etc.

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

Because of the vast difference in living costs between country & city living some differential could be developed or is that also against human rights here as well?

My understanding is that no country has made a differing payment scheme depending upon where one lives. Human rights does not come into it. It would be too damn difficult.

• Like 2

Answer 3 gets a lot of support but it's stupid to say that an open ended cheque can be written for many millions of people. However the current arrangement is horribly inadequate even for now, long-term jobless restaurant/massage staff to live, let alone the very, very poor. And the 'handouts' reduce the individual's final retirement lumpsum anyway. The government should be truly ashamed.