What's wrong with Surin Immigration?

teacherclaire

On 2/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, KhaoYai said:

I spoke to my wife about your post because it sounded very similar to what happened to a friend of ours.  Her immediate reaction was '"see a lawyer, they want money and if he pays now, he will pay forever".

Our friend had to bow down to the ridiculous things that an I.O. was wanting and eventually got his extension. The next year he reverted to the original basis for requesting an extension (that was previously refused) but used a lawyer to submit it - visa granted.

Of course he had to pay but in my book, paying a lawyer is far better than paying a corrupt official.

imo most land sharks are corrupt in their own way but you're correct. if things ever go sideways he would avoid bribery charges..

On 2/4/2021 at 9:45 AM, yosib157 said:

Maybe he didn't have all the necessary paperwork at the time even though he thought he had. Many years ago I was advised that prior to my extension application, I should visit the Immigration Office to get a complete list of requirements. They are (allegedly) there to help foreigners, but there are a few who are jealous of our earnings and do occasionally take a dislike to certain applicants. I would return with all the documents on their list and politely challenge them if they wanted more. Sometimes I missed something and no problem for me to return home in 5 minutes to get it.

I had a similar problem with a certain member of staff. She was the oldest in the office, lowest in rank and totally bitter to anyone she thought she thought she could bully. This went on for years and I eventually went over to Laos and got the multiple entry, married to a Thai National type Visa. This worked OK but obviously more expensive having to pay for a Laos Visa every 90 days.

So, maybe 8 years ago when this visa expired, I returned to the local office where I wrote down all the contact details for the top dogs from the posted list.

I then emailed the Area 4 Commander with copies to the local office and Bangkok. I outlined that (not only in my case) but our office was a hostile environment where staff wouldn't help and people were having to revisit 3 or 4 times because they were either given the wrong information or not enough. But, I didn't name the offending IO and just made it a general complaint.

Within a week they sent a car to the house as the Area Commander was indeed visiting and wanted to see me.

I went along on my bike and the interview was calm and relaxed. The boss had an interpreter as his English was poor. However, I could understand enough that his batman would nod in the direction of the awkward IO and I'm guessing they already had received complaints about her.

Anyway, after a photocall and much back-slapping I left feeling a lot better. Next time I visited, the offensive woman had been moved to the back office, I got my extension within 20 minutes and the whole office coincidentally was demolished and rebuilt within 18 months. The old woman has since retired and the new staff are firm but helpful and fair.

Finally, and IMHO, personally I would never use an agent, lawyer or any third party to secure an extension which is our entitlement. I suggest using their own system to beat them. Keep your cool, take down all the details of the Area Commander, write to them lodging your serious complaint. Naming the IO may work against you but how could your system get any worse?.

Good luck and I hope TC posts any progress you make.

while I agree on many of your points I disagree that IO's are there to help foreigners. It is part of their job to facilitate the applications and ensure their veracity but I believe their primary job is to protect Thailand just as my homeland IO's do. As far as the 'jealousness' is concerned, I don't see it that way. IMO it's sometimes the fact when some folks put on a uniform they power trip, which I've encountered all over the world. The rest of your post is the way I would deal with this problem for it has the least chance of later repercussions.. 

2 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Paying a lawyer for minor services such as these in Thailand is a waste of time IMO.

That depends on the lawyer. Fortunately the lawyer my friend used, and the one I would use in similar circumstances, is not afaid of taking on Immigration.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 12:56 PM, teacherclaire said:

Two "officers" were at the house just recently, he had to pay 1,900 baht for the few days until the end of this months, which must be an under consideration one. Is that normal to pay for it? If yes, no probs.

I believe that would depend on when his extension of stay actually expires.  As far as I know, you make the application towards the end of your stay, pay the 1900 baht which is a standard fee for any extension and you then begin the 'under consideration period'.  There would not normally be any further fees.  If his extension has expired due to all this mucking around, they may have given him some sort of 'special' short term extension and charged him for it but I haven't heard of that before.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

My reading is that he has paid his 1900 Baht fee for extension and has an 'under consideration' stamp. He will get his extension stamp when he next goes in towards the end of the 'under consideration' period. I have never heard of anyone being knocked back once their application has been accepted the the fee paid.

So he is right for another year.

AS others have suggested, he should look around for an agent for his next extension.

I am not in a position to comment about his marriage. But if the worse comes to the worse he might want to see if he can qualify for a retirement extension the next time around. I would just worry a little bit that his wife might refuse to come with him (unless he pays her big time) to a future marriage extension.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 10:12 PM, teacherclaire said:

Thank you very much. No, unfortunately, it's not the end. They also told him to "give them a ring a few days before the extension ends to find out "if everything is "in order"

He had to get new bank statements and embassy letter, then another copy wasn't the way they wanted it ( but they'd made it@!!!) 

i think that there'll be a big breaking news article if they don't give him what i believe is his right.

His wife's a gambler and a d- addict, who made around 20 million baht disappear so far. That he had a stroke and riding his bike is more complicated can only be seen an additional problem.

Humans are not made to get so much sh_t at once. I'll page you the details and hope that you have an idea. Thanks a lot for now. 

I wonder what would happen if he calls his embassy for help? Don't answer I know their answer already ????

Just ask the officer to arrest him on the spot. I would ask for his superior and explain.

4 hours ago, Mike Rodik said:

When I had troubles, I called my lawyer, they talked down to the lawyer as they know everyting, result... more to pay the lawyer, result ZERO

You need to find a new lawyer - one that doesn't kowtow.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J Town said:

Move to Jomtien/Pattaya. Done and dusted.

The family friendly place without prostitutes/ I'm certain he'd like that, but his wife maybe not. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I had to pay 500 baht to them when I made my driver's license 20 years ago. 

I had no idea that it was somehow illegal to use my hotel address as my residence.

11 hours ago, soalbundy said:

This surprises me, I am on a retirement visa based on income. I have been doing my visa for 16 years now at Surin IO. Never any trouble, just the opposite, I have found them very helpful and friendly, it is only a small office set in lovely grounds. They are quick and efficient.

Twice in 16 years I have had them at our house, once after 3 years of being here where the neighbours were questioned on the patio of my house about me, my character etc, even about their jobs and income but all done in a good natured manner, it helped that I speak Thai. The second time was about 4 years ago, they turned up a week after I had already received my new visa, this time it was just for photos, my stepdaughter, always one for accuracy, took their photos in turn but again this was received with good humour, they complained that they didn't like doing this but it was bosses orders for different batches now and again. 

My missus always comes to the office with me regarding a new visa (we are only a 20 minute drive away) because she and my son are the house owners, never seen money change hands apart from giving 2,000 Baht instead of 1,900 visa fee but that's just expected although they do offer change. 90 day stamp I go alone, it only takes 5 minutes.

I've never seen an altercation there between falang and officers.

Thank you very much for your post. I have no idea why this gentleman gets such special treatment. 

So far, there's only one member who knew of a similar situation, the mind boggles. 

Regarding the officers coming to your house, that happened last year, and I've never heard that they'd do that annually. 

I was on such an extension myself many moons ago and one visit, precisely as you described it, was all that I experienced.

I do not know why they behave the way they do, but I'd have thought that there must be something they don't like. 

I have the strange feeling that his wife has got  something to do with it. But that's not my business and it's time to stop here. 

Dear Moderators, please close this thread. It's not in my interest to cause this poor guy more troubles, should this get into the wrong hands.

Thanks to all who have contributed, and special thanks for the private messages. 

Edited by teacherclaire

On 2/4/2021 at 9:45 AM, yosib157 said:

Maybe he didn't have all the necessary paperwork at the time even though he thought he had. Many years ago I was advised that prior to my extension application, I should visit the Immigration Office to get a complete list of requirements. They are (allegedly) there to help foreigners, but there are a few who are jealous of our earnings and do occasionally take a dislike to certain applicants. I would return with all the documents on their list and politely challenge them if they wanted more. Sometimes I missed something and no problem for me to return home in 5 minutes to get it.

I had a similar problem with a certain member of staff. She was the oldest in the office, lowest in rank and totally bitter to anyone she thought she thought she could bully. This went on for years and I eventually went over to Laos and got the multiple entry, married to a Thai National type Visa. This worked OK but obviously more expensive having to pay for a Laos Visa every 90 days.

So, maybe 8 years ago when this visa expired, I returned to the local office where I wrote down all the contact details for the top dogs from the posted list.

I then emailed the Area 4 Commander with copies to the local office and Bangkok. I outlined that (not only in my case) but our office was a hostile environment where staff wouldn't help and people were having to revisit 3 or 4 times because they were either given the wrong information or not enough. But, I didn't name the offending IO and just made it a general complaint.

Within a week they sent a car to the house as the Area Commander was indeed visiting and wanted to see me.

I went along on my bike and the interview was calm and relaxed. The boss had an interpreter as his English was poor. However, I could understand enough that his batman would nod in the direction of the awkward IO and I'm guessing they already had received complaints about her.

Anyway, after a photocall and much back-slapping I left feeling a lot better. Next time I visited, the offensive woman had been moved to the back office, I got my extension within 20 minutes and the whole office coincidentally was demolished and rebuilt within 18 months. The old woman has since retired and the new staff are firm but helpful and fair.

Finally, and IMHO, personally I would never use an agent, lawyer or any third party to secure an extension which is our entitlement. I suggest using their own system to beat them. Keep your cool, take down all the details of the Area Commander, write to them lodging your serious complaint. Naming the IO may work against you but how could your system get any worse?.

Good luck and I hope TC posts any progress you make.

I have on two occasions stood up to hostile IOs raising my voice and telling them "I am not doing that" the bosses overruled the IOs on both occasions. Don't be afraid to stand up to these little Hitlers.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

while I agree on many of your points I disagree that IO's are there to help foreigners. It is part of their job to facilitate the applications and ensure their veracity but I believe their primary job is to protect Thailand just as my homeland IO's do. As far as the 'jealousness' is concerned, I don't see it that way. IMO it's sometimes the fact when some folks put on a uniform they power trip, which I've encountered all over the world. The rest of your post is the way I would deal with this problem for it has the least chance of later repercussions.. 

I have to admit that all my adult life, anyone in a uniform who tried to show any authority over me, would need to be very careful with their attitude even if they were in the right, and that included the police also, but again, being someone who never looks for trouble, I have never had a problem with the Thai police even though I have been here 15 years and constantly drove cars and rode motorbikes.

Only ever had problems with the two IOs I have already mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I have on two occasions stood up to hostile IOs raising my voice and telling them "I am not doing that" the bosses overruled the IOs on both occasions. Don't be afraid to stand up to these little Hitlers.

There's a better way for ra_ists, or those who dislike foreigners and give them a tough and nasty time.

If 50 people write a report about the same IO, there has to be something wrong. It happened before.  

Many years ago, there's a female IO in Phiboon Mangsahan where all Ubon people had to go.

Very similar to here,. A Scandinavian guy who'd been on an extension for the last 15 years was sent back (250 km one way) to get his kids. ????

When he came back with the kids, they didn't want to see them!!!

( A different IO officer) ???? 

Then a oink document was missing and he had to drive back once more. 

Then they found a misspelled word in his house book, that a "translator" had done; in his house book, his middle name had a j instead of an i.

No, I cannot do. But it worked the 15 years before, without a problem. 

You have to go to the Amphur were the IO's words.

I've seen that with my own eyes, and after many foreigners wrote E-mails and called the central Immigration in Bangkok, the female officer got sent to the wilderness.

Perhaps the best way to deal with the guy to send something to Bangkok and see.

But I have an excellent feeling that he'll get it this time and give my name for him, working voluntarily for an organization. That's how I met the gentleman. 

Let's see it as it is. Others in frigid countries have lockdowns, and people must be at home at 9 pm, lose their businesses, and many other strange things.

I can ride my bike thru the year, sot outside, and let god be god and pray to a beer bottle that its never empty. 

And who knows, perhaps soon I'll be able to make a beach holiday again. The next beach is only 600 km away. 

Thanks for the posts, hombres and senoritas. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Very similar to here,. A Scandinavian guy who'd been on an extension for the last 15 years was sent back (250 km one way) to get his kids. ????

What kind of extension had he been on for the last 15 years and what was the reason for his current application.

If he was changing the reason to Thai family, he should have known he needed the kids.

22 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

When he came back with the kids, they didn't want to see them!!!

( A different IO officer) ???? 

Then a oink document was missing and he had to drive back once more. 

I have no idea what an 'oink' document is, but if you meant a 'bank' document, he could have obtained that from any branch of his bank.

23 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Then they found a misspelled word in his house book, that a "translator" had done; in his house book, his middle name had a j instead of an i.

Absolutely no requirement to submit his (Yellow) house book, or have it translated.

You sound a little gullible believing every sad story you hear from anyone trying to find a sympathetic ear.

In the majority of cases the applicant is at fault because he didn't know the requirements, but it's always somebody else's fault.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

But I have an excellent feeling that he'll get it this time and give my name for him, working voluntarily for an organization. That's how I met the gentleman. 

I'd like to know which voluntary organisation your working for.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:44 PM, possum1931 said:

I have to admit that all my adult life, anyone in a uniform who tried to show any authority over me, would need to be very careful with their attitude even if they were in the right, and that included the police also, but again, being someone who never looks for trouble, I have never had a problem with the Thai police even though I have been here 15 years and constantly drove cars and rode motorbikes.

Only ever had problems with the two IOs I have already mentioned.

I am not speaking of  you particularly, but that attitude of feeling that others  'being very careful of their attitude  even if they were in the right' is not uncommon. Imo it is one of the main causes of foreigners running into problems in Thailand concerning immigration procedures. If you give an IO - anywhere in the world - an attitude that they must be very careful when they show authority, then you're going to be on the losing end every time. You're the author of your own sad story..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

I am not speaking of  you particularly, but that attitude of feeling that others  'being very careful of their attitude  even if they were in the right' is not uncommon. Imo it is one of the main causes of foreigners running into problems in Thailand concerning immigration procedures. If you give an IO - anywhere in the world - an attitude that they must be very careful when they show authority, then you're going to be on the losing end every time. You're the author of your own sad story..

There is nothing wrong with showing authority, it is how it is done, if a IO checks your passport when you do a 90 day report and he accuses you of being on a 25 day overstay in a hostile manner, are you going to be nice to him?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

It's called DHV in Bangkok. I don't understand why that could be of interest to you?

Perhaps I'd be interested in doing some voluntary work.

The DHV takes care of persons of predominantly German nationality who are in need in Thailand through no fault of their own.

Excluded are persons who have caused your emergency through gross self-debt or have violated valid laws of the country in any way.

Sounds interesting.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 9:22 AM, teacherclaire said:

If 50 people write a report about the same IO, there has to be something wrong. It happened before

Only one problem with that.

You only have one complaint, not 50.

You also have one poster saying he has never had a problem at the same office.

I too used Surin immigration, Kap Cheong as it was then, for many years and never had a problem. In fact I found them helpful and they even went beyond the line of duty a couple of times to help me.

I can't help thinking there is more to this story. Or even less????

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it... when someone reports an issue, a relatively common issue, there is always someone who steps in and suggests... there has to be more to the story when there obviously isn’t.

Thats like someone saying riding a motorcycle in Thailand is perfectly safe because they’ve never had an accident. 

As with all of these issues.... everyone is one step away from an issue because there are no clear cut standard guidelines - those submitting their applications for extensions are completely at the whimsical mercy of an front desk immigration officer who may themselves have misinterpreted or worse not clearly know the rules - these same people may chose to act with authority when their experience and knowledge could otherwise be readily undermined by common sense - the problem is they either lack the common sense, general decency or can act with obvious disregard to the foreigner / applicant. 

I too have never had an issue at immigration, they have always been ‘indifferent’ - thats not to say they were polite, but they were not rude.

Recently, on my first ever extensions I was processed easily without issue - I didn’t need photos of our Bedroom and I would object to providing personal photos such as that - I provided a photo of our house from the outside and a photo of my Wife, Son and I - that was it....

....But, next year Immigration could decide they want 5 photos not two, or they want the local Amphur to verify the map to our address, or the manager of the juristic committee to sign something to say we live there  etc etc... Anything is possible especially when each office is run differently by someone who doesn’t really know the regulations but is supervising non-commissioned senior staffers who sometimes make up their own requirements. 

-------

A friend of mine lost his TM6 card - he went to immigration who told him he had to go to the airport and get a new one. He drove out to the airport and was told to go back to immigration. He drove back to immigration and was told to go back to the airport at which time he got annoyed and demanded a senior Immigration officer who called up the airport... Immigration at the airport confirmed my friends arrival date and they gave him a new TM6.... simple, but not when two lazy idiots can’t be bothered to help because they don’t know what to do. 

As someone who, and has many friends who, used Surin/Kap Cheong innigration for over 16 years, I can tell you that I have never heard such stories as this, unless there is an underlying issue.

Your example speaks volumes of people simply not knowing what to do. I once lost my TM6. I followed the guidelines,  went to file a lost property form with police and took a copy to immigration, and got my TM6 replaced.

The OP has already hinted that a malfunctioning marriage could be part of the problem. I think that is more likely where the finger should be pointing.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it... when someone reports an issue, a relatively common issue, there is always someone who steps in and suggests... there has to be more to the story when there obviously isn’t.

Thats like someone saying riding a motorcycle in Thailand is perfectly safe because they’ve never had an accident. 

As with all of these issues.... everyone is one step away from an issue because there are no clear cut standard guidelines - those submitting their applications for extensions are completely at the whimsical mercy of an front desk immigration officer who may themselves have misinterpreted or worse not clearly know the rules - these same people may chose to act with authority when their experience and knowledge could otherwise be readily undermined by common sense - the problem is they either lack the common sense, general decency or can act with obvious disregard to the foreigner / applicant. 

I too have never had an issue at immigration, they have always been ‘indifferent’ - thats not to say they were polite, but they were not rude.

Recently, on my first ever extensions I was processed easily without issue - I didn’t need photos of our Bedroom and I would object to providing personal photos such as that - I provided a photo of our house from the outside and a photo of my Wife, Son and I - that was it....

....But, next year Immigration could decide they want 5 photos not two, or they want the local Amphur to verify the map to our address, or the manager of the juristic committee to sign something to say we live there  etc etc... Anything is possible especially when each office is run differently by someone who doesn’t really know the regulations but is supervising non-commissioned senior staffers who sometimes make up their own requirements. 

-------

A friend of mine lost his TM6 card - he went to immigration who told him he had to go to the airport and get a new one. He drove out to the airport and was told to go back to immigration. He drove back to immigration and was told to go back to the airport at which time he got annoyed and demanded a senior Immigration officer who called up the airport... Immigration at the airport confirmed my friends arrival date and they gave him a new TM6.... simple, but not when two lazy idiots can’t be bothered to help because they don’t know what to do. 

Agree with you 100% They seem to go out of their way to not help people as often as possible. There are some good IOs but they are rare and soon become infected with the same culture that is prevalent in their office.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The OP has already hinted that a malfunctioning marriage could be part of the problem. I think that is more likely where the finger should be pointing.

Quite possibly... (as the Op mentions below - also earlier on where the Op mentioned the subjects wife is a d-addict and gambler having gambled away 20MB).... 

But, the Ops friend is still legally married - Why would the immigration officers be so hard on him when previous years they were not?

If the Op’s friend’s marriage is breaking down, perhaps he could go for a retirement visa (if he has the 800,000) - assuming he’s doing the 400k route with the marriage visa, if the Income route surely thats also an easy switch ?

On 2/8/2021 at 4:01 AM, teacherclaire said:

I have the strange feeling that his wife has got  something to do with it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Agree with you 100% They seem to go out of their way to not help people as often as possible. There are some good IOs but they are rare and soon become infected with the same culture that is prevalent in their office.

Takes a bit of understanding is all

One of my good friends became the local bank manager, I tongue in cheek when we were sharing a beer, asked how I would be set for a loan

Well he said first you are my friend, and I would certainly like to help you, so would undoubtedly promote the fact you are honest and trustworthy to support your application. However, I do not make the final decision to approve your loan, with information provided I must make a case to prove repayment will okay, supported by your history, and other documentation. If your loan was rejected, it would be me delivering the decision from above.

Since he improved my understanding, when dealing with 'people in authority', I have always made effort carefully evaluate the reasoning behind some decisions I felt were unnecessary, perhaps to me, and the person I am dealing with too, for sure they have no choice to follow instruction at times, who knows? maybe the guy had a couple of 'incomplete' applications thrown back demanding more paperwork and needed to get things absolutely correct to protect his position. Painful as it might be for the applicant

Did I read the applicant turned up in the first instance without his wife, would this not have been a huge mistake?

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1