What's wrong with Surin Immigration?

teacherclaire

Well Richard here is how I see it

Is there there potential of an easier passage if my wife is sitting alongside?

Is there less risk of any misunderstanding if my wife is sitting alongside?

Is it more convincing if my wife is there fully backing my application based on marriage?

I think in this situation I will go with my wife sitting alongside, then hopefully there is good possibilty of not even having to sort the smelly stuff

Shortly if plans fall into place I will be doing exactly this, will let you know how I get on ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Well Richard here is how I see it

Is there there potential of an easier passage if my wife is sitting alongside?

Is there less risk of any misunderstanding if my wife is sitting alongside?

Is it more convincing if my wife is there fully backing my application based on marriage?

I think in this situation I will go with my wife sitting alongside, then hopefully there is good possibilty of not even having to sort the smelly stuff

Shortly if plans fall into place I will be doing exactly this, will let you know how I get on ????

Just to be clear - I’m not suggesting to anyone ‘don’t take your wife’ (for subsequent extensions), just that I was of the understanding that having your wife present was not a requirement for subsequent extensions after the first time. 

The idea that we need to ‘convince’ the immigration officers that we are married when we hold hold a marriage certificate and an updated Kor Ror 2 document from the Amphur is somewhat strange, as if we are ‘trying to convince a judge’ !!!  it just a very strange requirement !!!

Even more strange when viewing such a requirement from the perspective that a lot of ThaiVisa members spend half their time convincing ‘others’ they are not married !!!! (if a recent ‘extra curricular activities’ thread is anything to go by !!!!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought your Wife only needed to be present on the very first extension and subsequent extensions do not require the spousal presence ????

Your wife has to be with you for every extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. She has to complete a statement and sign it along with you in front of the officer doing the interview.

Thanks for the clarification....  

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

Takes a bit of understanding is all

One of my good friends became the local bank manager, I tongue in cheek when we were sharing a beer, asked how I would be set for a loan

Well he said first you are my friend, and I would certainly like to help you, so would undoubtedly promote the fact you are honest and trustworthy to support your application. However, I do not make the final decision to approve your loan, with information provided I must make a case to prove repayment will okay, supported by your history, and other documentation. If your loan was rejected, it would be me delivering the decision from above.

Since he improved my understanding, when dealing with 'people in authority', I have always made effort carefully evaluate the reasoning behind some decisions I felt were unnecessary, perhaps to me, and the person I am dealing with too, for sure they have no choice to follow instruction at times, who knows? maybe the guy had a couple of 'incomplete' applications thrown back demanding more paperwork and needed to get things absolutely correct to protect his position. Painful as it might be for the applicant

Did I read the applicant turned up in the first instance without his wife, would this not have been a huge mistake?

Maybe the guy had incomplete applications? He did that for more than 20 years and he's not retarded. 

His wife never had to be with him, because they visited them at home and all was fine. Until this year.

This guy has always more documents with copies as needed with him. But this time, he came to the wrong IO who seems to show his power over us.

Other officers had already stamped all until this guy decided that he must come back and that became a nightmare. What would you think if you'd have to come back seven times?

Okay. let's say six times, because he came without his wife the first time.

Wouldn't you try to find out what could be wrong with mentioned office? 

I understand that we all have to follow their laws and regulations. But if you do and it's still not enough, there must be something wrong. Just saying. 

Is that really so hard to understand that not the foreigner is causing the problems? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

HI @teacherclaire > Nice of you doing such Volunteer work.

FYI > When you come across guys that are in trouble because of immigration/Visa-related issues and would be helped with clarity/advice on the options they have, feel free to mention that they can contact me @Peter Denis

As a Belgian citizen, my mother tongue is dutch, but - on top of English - I also read and understand French and German, in case the guy in trouble is not fluent in English.

Thank you very much!!!! I've met this guy when he had an emergency, and that's how I got to know him when I had to see him sort some issues out. 

I'm not trying to help him find a solution for his extension because of DHV.

They have nothing to do with it, and I doubt it, DHV would do much in this situation.

And there's not much what they could do. 

He phoned me and needed advice, and it got worse and worse what they did to him.

He's an educated guy, not a bull<deleted>_er. Thanks once more, and I sincerely appreciate your post. 

I wish you only the best, hope to hear from you again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hidden costs ... we all know it's a possibility.  

put a HARD number in your head.   maybe it's 20,000 or 100,000....be prepared to spend it every year.  and be prepared to leave.  and don't try to change the system, you will lose.  

this is a good lesson....figure out what places never ask for extra money.  and then consider living in those places.

even if it's 12,000, or 1,000 a month, it's really no money.  if you want to say it's the principle, then be prepared for endless headaches.  up to you

• Like 1

18 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Maybe the guy had incomplete applications? He did that for more than 20 years and he's not retarded. 

His wife never had to be with him, because they visited them at home and all was fine. Until this year.

This guy has always more documents with copies as needed with him. But this time, he came to the wrong IO who seems to show his power over us.

Other officers had already stamped all until this guy decided that he must come back and that became a nightmare. What would you think if you'd have to come back seven times?

Okay. let's say six times, because he came without his wife the first time.

Wouldn't you try to find out what could be wrong with mentioned office? 

I understand that we all have to follow their laws and regulations. But if you do and it's still not enough, there must be something wrong. Just saying. 

Is that really so hard to understand that not the foreigner is causing the problems? 

Once in 20 years he gets a hard time, now he is crying

When he turned up without his wife did he just apologise thank the IO for his time, smile and leave? Not even a <deleted>ty look to the IO? No comment at all? Didn't raise his voice?

I wonder if those who put a young IO in a spot by refusing to pay 'home visit' expenses realise a few years later he could be influencing the stamp of approval

Edited by 473geo
  • Sad 1

He phoned me and needed advice, and it got worse and worse what they did to him.

What advice did you give him?

He's an educated guy, not a bull<deleted>_er.

But after 20 years he didn't know it was a requirement that his wife attend as well?

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Once in 20 years he gets a hard time, now he is crying

When he turned up without his wife did he just apologise thank the IO for his time, smile and leave? Not even a <deleted>ty look to the IO? No comment at all? Didn't raise his voice?

I wonder if those who put a young IO in a spot by refusing to pay 'home visit' expenses realise a few years later he could be influencing the stamp of approval

The guy is educated and well mannered. I hope that answers your question. 

• Like 1

Answer:  Consistently Inconsistent.  

Welcome to LOS, enjoy your stay here...I don't like it but it's the law (nature) of the beast...take it or leave it but we cannot Gofund it to change it.  Junta holds the power.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:04 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The idea that we need to ‘convince’ the immigration officers that we are married when we hold hold a marriage certificate and an updated Kor Ror 2 document from the Amphur is somewhat strange, as if we are ‘trying to convince a judge’ !!!  it just a very strange requirement !!!

You live in a bit of a fantasy world if you believe that a piece of paper is absolute proof of a genuine and continuing marriage.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:45 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

I don't really see any much difference from what I'm going through every year. No matter if I want new visa, driving ID, updating my information in Thai bank... .  You just described standard working thai system.

ANDY is bloody dead right!  I wish he, me, and many others were incorrect, but this sadly is NO BS.  It's like walking a mile in Brocken glass. 

23 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

What advice did you give him?

But after 20 years he didn't know it was a requirement that his wife attend as well?

Something not right.

The guy has had a stroke and is on the wrong medication. He is a man who is not well and struggling with his health.

However, he decides to drive over 200kms, alone, to immigration.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, mike787 said:

ANDY is bloody dead right!  I wish he, me, and many others were incorrect, but this sadly is NO BS.  It's like walking a mile in Brocken glass. 

Thai people are raised with this type of system, part of the fact why appointments to do jobs on a rolling basis are acceptable. Not easy to let go of the less relaxed western approach for those not raised here.

When the op gave advice there were two options that stand out, if the wife is soaking him for money, might as well spend it on an no hassle elite visa, the other being move to a less hassle retirement visa, which is possibly where the IO was trying to move him, for his own benefit perhaps

So what was the advice from the OP take on immigration or use one of the suitable alternatives I suggest above?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Thai people are raised with this type of system, part of the fact why appointments to do jobs on a rolling basis are acceptable. Not easy to let go of the less relaxed western approach for those not raised here.

When the op gave advice there were two options that stand out, if the wife is soaking him for money, might as well spend it on an no hassle elite visa, the other being move to a less hassle retirement visa, which is possibly where the IO was trying to move him, for his own benefit perhaps

So what was the advice from the OP take on immigration or use one of the suitable alternatives I suggest above?

The gentleman in question is using income method.

My guess, bearing in mind his wife has allegedly gone through 20m already, would be that he does not have the funds or the income to switch to either elite visa or extension based on retirement.