Sattahip to Songkhla car ferry service set to begin by March, Prachuap Khiri Khan misses out - for now

webfact

On 4/8/2021 at 7:13 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Gulf of Thailand isn't the North Sea.  I'm sure they'll deal with the trucks properly.  It's a big ship and has been in business doing this for years.

Oh no i'm sure these posts are all warranted and this ship will capsize and sink like the dozen each month that always happen in Thailand, killing hundreds, that are never in the news..../SARC

Ridiculous thread at times.

Called today for pricing/schedules but nothing yet available. I do not care about licqour or smokes, would like to know if bus style reclining chairs are available, reserved or first come first serve, and if there is planned to be a call in Prachuap Khiri Khan?

In my 18 years of Thailand island ferries i have yet to die once so i am again willing to put that record on the line....but will not travel if there are "virus" testing requirements or jabs needed and cannot go if quarantine is required at destination so perhaps even 2021 is going to be a write off?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 11:34 PM, Leaver said:

But will they be regularly maintained?  

Perhaps the Navy will use the doors as targets for small weapons training when the ship is in port, and then patch holes with silicone prior to each sailing. I mean, how much of this do we have to read on this thread while trying to get real information. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

A quick look at their booking page shows the following options:

image.png.d8f3b6024f40873663f2f8ff98d6b911.png

Thanks. I did not have time to revisit the site today so asked wife to call. Service on the call could not confirm any prices or dates at this time so I have just shelved it for now, will look again next month. Nice to see all those options thou. We like going to Hokkaido for holiday so may have been on this boat in its previous life, but not sure.

Cheers

Chanced across a Thai article about the ferry, dated a couple days ago. Has some nice pics and one detail not noted previously. 
In addition to the planned addition of Prachuap to the route (eventually), the article claims they have future plans to travel to/from Koh Chang as well.

There are photos that show what some of the accommodations look like and there are two that show a different type of chair.

https://www.facebook.com/TransportDailynews/posts/2883026005252232

Note that the article is Thai language only, but you can still look at the pics if you don't want to translate it all.

From the way Hammerman described the "VIP" and "Regular" chairs above, these are something different.
h8.jpg.bccee2f3141cf6f3f4127b4d8fc517da.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Chanced across a Thai article about the ferry, dated a couple days ago. Has some nice pics and one detail not noted previously. 
In addition to the planned addition of Prachuap to the route (eventually), the article claims they have future plans to travel to/from Koh Chang as well.

There are photos that show what some of the accommodations look like and there are two that show a different type of chair.

https://www.facebook.com/TransportDailynews/posts/2883026005252232

Note that the article is Thai language only, but you can still look at the pics if you don't want to translate it all.

From the way Hammerman described the "VIP" and "Regular" chairs above, these are something different.
h8.jpg.bccee2f3141cf6f3f4127b4d8fc517da.jpg

Thanks for the info, above is in the reception area only.. the seats I refer to are in another area and are "aircraft" style seats, but relatively basic. The above seating is in the process of being recovered to meet with Covid-19 regulations.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:33 PM, HammerMan said:

The latest information is that the vessel is still waiting permission to operate as the Songkhla health officials are still concerned over Covid-19 restrictions.  It seems the vessel may have to wait until end April as the earliest potential start date.   The all important question of pricing has been held back purely because we need to see what, if any, additional steps/processes or precautions may be required..  we are truly hoping we'll get some answers in the coming days.... 

jZ6IoaxA.jpeg

Hammer

Thanka for that update and the photos of the available seats...are those VIP and are they reserved or first come first serve....I run into thst frequently on ferries, but not such comfortable seating.

I get my updated visa first week of may, after that i like to take a solo journey around for a week or two, give the wife cat and dogs a break from me lol and this time yea the ferry south would be a great option. Hope they can work past this "covid" madness.

Cheers

On 4/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, HammerMan said:

These are the VIP..  the normal seats are similar although obviously smaller and on a different deck.

Ok see they are VIP, disregard earlier Q

On 4/19/2021 at 11:59 AM, HammerMan said:

Unfortunately no, we investigated this option but were told as we sail to/from Thai Ports as a domestic class vessel we therefore cannot.

Where is the ship registered? 

What's the benefit of having it classed a "domestic class vessel?"

Interesting comments, Thank you. Unfortunately the classification as "Domestic" follows Thai regulations and I agree it sort of restricts/belittles the vessel/operation. There are traditionally 3 basic levels of defining shipping: Domestic, Near Coastal and Ocean Going.  The higher levels require higher qualified staff/regulations, but also higher costs. But, having said this, we are planning to upgrade the status to 'Near Coastal' to attract better quality crew and set ourselves above the norm. Obviously, with the intention to only operate within Thailand at this stage, Ocean Going would be totally unnecessary. 

• Like 1

Was just there a couple days ago. Stopped by to take some photos on a day trip.
 Had places to go and things to do so I didn't stick around long. Got a few more pics on the other camera I'll upload later.
175641488_10159115875654220_1170385472276047869_n.jpg.009e4a3016b6af88094ba20e6302129c.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HammerMan said:

Actually I saw you riding in as I was visiting the Seahorse office inside the ferry terminal..  Please post some of the photos and your thoughts on the Seahorse Ferries Facebook page.

FYG yesterday we had another visit from the Health Department who again confirmed the vessel met all Covid-19 regulations. We are now awaiting Songkhla Health officials comments which have been partially complicated now by Chonburi province being declared a Deep Red Zone..

So sorry to hear your business has been hijacked by this "event", leave it at that. I hope it does not fatally impact the business.

I am ready to hit the road as of 08/05, but have full flexibility qjen and where. I really want to do this tour so hope things turn around for Seahorse. 

Never ending projects here to do so can cool.it a bit and see what happens.

Hoping for the best. Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the visit I made to the Sattahip Ferry Terminal on 26 Feb.

A lot easier to get there than I first thought (but back then I wasn't sure where the terminal actually was). The only issue is the work being done at the Highway 3 intersection (where it intersects with the end of highway 331).

DSC02167.thumb.JPG.26d3250fb9dd9d3ced95eb1f165ec9aa.JPG   DSC02169.thumb.JPG.a0e779abe14282470982766b0f5a6ccf.JPG

DSC02170.thumb.JPG.6ac3aee9e334b3b5eb72e7ac43a8b49d.JPG    DSC02168.thumb.JPG.29457727aa7181d62abe62830edaadff.JPG

DSC02172.thumb.JPG.87d276bb87b32bd3e5b8e57bb833a618.JPG

(The last photo of my motorcycle in pristine condition.)

Edited by Kerryd
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, HammerMan said:

The vessel has today (18th May 10am) departed from the Sattahip Anchorage and is currently heading towards Songkhla. The vessel is currently not carrying any vehicles as upon arrival it will conduct a 'safe berthing' exercise and be once again subjected to a 'Health Inspection' to ensure all Covid-19 regulations are being enforced etc..  

Assuming all goes well, the vessel with then anchor  just outside of Songkhla whilst all official procedures are completed and return to the berth on the 21st May to commence her first commercial operations, which sadly at this stage is restricted to trucks only with single driver per truck..  but, hopefully it will be followed in the coming weeks by cars and ultimately passengers..  fingers crossed. 

Great news, thanks for the update. So because tit, would trucks with a single driver only be applied to someone with a pickup truck and driving alone? The plates are green letter meaning commercial so wondering if that would pass the test...the driver being foreign. I have a cap on the back and can toss some lengths of pvc in there with my gear to make it look more work worthy....lol

Cheers

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, kuma said:

So because tit, would trucks with a single driver only be applied to someone with a pickup truck and driving alone?

Pick-ups have their own entry on the booking page separate from various sizes of trucks, so my guess would be no.

• Thanks 1

Short update..  vessel berthed at Songkhla and on the face of it everything went perfectly to plan. Authorities from various Government and Military agencies all boarded and were more than satisfied with everything and the vessel received a seal of approval in all aspects....  But, this is Thailand and we always have to expect the unexpected and we definitely didn't see what happened next coming....

The operator of the berth suddenly announced that we couldn't use the berth going forward as they had already signed an agreement with a major oil company for their offshore supply vessels to berth there.  This means we're back to square one to find a suitable/safe berth or scrap Songkhla and go back to Prachuap..  After almost 5 years of talking, planning and being "encouraged" to operate out of Songkhla with all sorts of promises, it is unbelievably frustrating to now be in this position..  Anyway, hopefully an urgent solution will be found soon..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HammerMan said:

Short update..  vessel berthed at Songkhla and on the face of it everything went perfectly to plan. Authorities from various Government and Military agencies all boarded and were more than satisfied with everything and the vessel received a seal of approval in all aspects....  But, this is Thailand and we always have to expect the unexpected and we definitely didn't see what happened next coming....

The operator of the berth suddenly announced that we couldn't use the berth going forward as they had already signed an agreement with a major oil company for their offshore supply vessels to berth there.  This means we're back to square one to find a suitable/safe berth or scrap Songkhla and go back to Prachuap..  After almost 5 years of talking, planning and being "encouraged" to operate out of Songkhla with all sorts of promises, it is unbelievably frustrating to now be in this position..  Anyway, hopefully an urgent solution will be found soon..

so sorry to hear that. shoe on the other foot...i suppose that operator also has business to run and saw all the hassles you were having w this event and in the end felt they needed to take a paying customer that had permission to operate...so can understand their position ....but how did they not inform you....a case of not wantting to deliver bad news so they waitrd thinking the government woukd delay you further and release them from having to.say anything??

Anyway PKK is a nice spot so docking there is fine too...should shorten the travel time i imagine.

Good luck

14 hours ago, HammerMan said:

Why continue to be scammed in Thailand?

Take the ship, and the service it can provide, to another country that will be more obliging, in fact, welcoming.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/21/2021 at 9:26 AM, HammerMan said:

No contract with the berth operator in Songkla? Hope you can find a solution. Fingers crossed

8 hours ago, CLW said:

No contract with the berth operator in Songkla? Hope you can find a solution. Fingers crossed

Like a lot of things here, money is the solution, however, it's usually at the expense of profits, sometimes making the venture unviable.