Sattahip to Songkhla car ferry service set to begin by March, Prachuap Khiri Khan misses out - for now

webfact

5 minutes ago, TSF said:

Maybe trucks from Mataphut and Eastern Seaboard will be interested but can't see many tourists/travelers going to be using it. They're tried many such ferry routes before in the past and apart from a couple of absolutely necessary services, they haven't got off the ground or ceased operation fairly quickly.  

Right, for private persons the price must beat a flight + transportation in the south plus the time benefit.

Even with the higher domestic flight prices atm due to covid, a low-cost flight return plus rental car is probably cheaper.

We'll see when they announce prices.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, steve187 said:

would be good to use to Songkhla and then drive back, stopping along the route for a 4 or 5 day touring holiday, or longer. but depends on price, on my trips down south with driving both ways i have only made it as far as surat thani

Nothing to see on the way back 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, arick said:

Who the hell would want to go to either destinations... 

That's what I was thinking. From a tourism perspective, both places are backwaters. But if lots of trucks are carrying goods from Eastern Thailand to Malaysia, then there could be some use for the ferry.

Pre covid we'd make a motoring trip down to the Deep South once a year, I really enjoyed the journey, taking 3-4 days from BKK - Songkhla, stopping a night in HH, Surat, Nakorn Sri Thammarat, stopping along the way to check out tourist attractions.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

In my wild and hedonistic youth, me and my mates did the Pattaya-Phuket trip by road twice. The fun and excitement on the outward trip had somewhat diminished after 10 days of beer and skittles and the return drive. For me, this ferry is on a winner with a one-way trip to the south and a more sedate drive back north with stopovers, or vice versa.

Well said.

4 hours ago, CLW said:

Right, for private persons the price must beat a flight + transportation in the south plus the time benefit.

Even with the higher domestic flight prices atm due to covid, a low-cost flight return plus rental car is probably cheaper.

We'll see when they announce prices.

It will be difficult for them to make it cheaper and easier than the train. I have done Bangkok to Hat Yai several times and fairly comfortable with the new rolling stock.

They may get some travelers from U-Tapao but the bulk will pass through Bangkok and Sattahip is a bit out of the way. With Bang Sue coming on stream shortly, to me it would be a no brainer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It will be difficult for them to make it cheaper and easier than the train. I have done Bangkok to Hat Yai several times and fairly comfortable with the new rolling stock.

They may get some travelers from U-Tapao but the bulk will pass through Bangkok and Sattahip is a bit out of the way. With Bang Sue coming on stream shortly, to me it would be a no brainer.

Even sleeper train has hard time to compete with flight prices. The problem for travelers are weekends or public holidays when the sleeper train is fully booked long in advance and also the airlines charge higher ticket prices

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've done the drive down to just past Surat Thani, and down to Koh Lanta and Phuket several times.  It's no fun. 

Completely agree, I drove from Bangkok to Phuket once - never again.  I hope this route is successful - for those who like to drive and visit several destinations, it opens up the south without the hideous drive down there.

Not the best time to start though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CLW said:

Even sleeper train has hard time to compete with flight prices. The problem for travelers are weekends or public holidays when the sleeper train is fully booked long in advance and also the airlines charge higher ticket prices

I always use the sleepers. It will be a year on Friday since the last time when I did a border run to PB. We usually use first class and yes they are normally booked up but I have never known the second class to be fully booked. I was on my own last time so went second class, I think about 900 baht each way, the ferry will struggle to compete with that.

I have only done a few domestic flights, rather take the train. We flew up to CM in December as my wife's uncle is a bit disabled and a reminder of the hassle. Much easier to get the minibus to the station, on the train and go to sleep, arrive quite fresh next morning.

49 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Samui would be fantastic. Krabi and Phuket are in a different sea. A very long voyage.

Reminds me one time back in 1980s it was reported some Andaman sea-gypsies rolled up at Samui. Lot of people were thinking how the bloody hell did they get there? ????

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

That is "one journey per day" meaning departures every other day from Sattahip and Songkhla using one ship for the 20 hours voyage.

Two ferryboats a day. Each port boat leaving port at 2pm and arrival at 10am, daily.

Edited by cheapcanuck