Bank staffer arrested after siphoning tens of millions of baht from Pattaya expats

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, polpott said:

I got that impression.

I would expect that any punters that took up the 'investment opportunity of a lifetime' would be rather unhappy with the lady. Especially if the commission aspect turns out to be correct as that will likely come out in the wash at some stage. Never mind that the punters were obviously stupid to sign up to such a scheme. The opportunity to blame someone else for their own stupidity would be too good to miss.

My missus was cheesed off this morning because the local market pork seller did her out of 5 baht. I managed to persuade her that heading back out to confront the seller would cost her more than the fuel she would use. However, I would expect her to have 'words' on her next visit to the market. If she had been advised to go for this deal by a neighbour and heard the neighbour had been given a bung for it...........ooohhh!!

Edited by dabhand
  • Haha 2

Ah, yes yes, all very nice ....... But has anyone finally twigged onto the fact that all these Thai banks are playing poker with many peoples 800,000 bht visa deposits and are probably making a tidy sum off them ?   I can't believe that if someone's worked hard for their money they give/lend it out to others so easily......especially in the light of multiple cases of bank wrongdoings in Thailand....   As we all know, if you have to go to the Thai legal system you're in for a heavy financial spanking.......

20 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

But has anyone finally twigged onto the fact that all these Thai banks are playing poker with many peoples 800,000 bht visa deposits and are probably making a tidy sum off them ? 

Afaik this is the exact purpose of this visa requirment, as never a logic and

sense explanation from the Thai authorities has been given about the utility of this ''deposit''

Of course you can use the agent option to avoid putting your money in a thai bank but still there are some risks linked to it

In fact it's more a dilemma than a choice for most of the retired expats en Thailand

(Except for the lucky ones able to use the 65000\month income option)

Edited by kingofthemountain

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This story has gone typically quiet, the "victims" are keeping a low profile too, no attempt to post on this forum or Facebook, maybe embarrassment is a factor

Maybe they cannot afford the net any more? Had to pawn the laptop?

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2021 at 4:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

This story has gone typically quiet, the "victims" are keeping a low profile too, no attempt to post on this forum or Facebook, maybe embarrassment is a factor

Definitely embarrassment is a big factor for many. In the cold light of day and lost money, I'm sure most are thinking -- how could I have been so gullible as to believe 3.5 percent a month was legit? BTW -- I'm not being judgmental of the victims. Con men are often quite good at their jobs and yes I've been hit by cons twice in my life (total loss about 500 USD). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

This only can happen in Thailand or? 

Read this story where an employee of a big Swiss bank obviously stole billions - not Baht. After his prison time he killed himself... ? 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cs-victims-laud-fraud-report-findings-and-demand-credit-suisse-return-client-funds-301223110.html

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

One more victim. Any updates?

I couple I know just returned to Thailand and realized they had been defrauded by this same assistant bank manager. Anyone here know how this case is progressing? Are the victims using lawyers to go after the bank? Send PM if you don't want to respond to the topic. The name of the bank, branch and assistant manager is published in other media, by the way.

Edited by rick44

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, PPGuy said:

Seems like the bank has finally agreed to settle the fraud case as noted in this 103FM report. Would be interesting to hear any details of the settlement.

Presumably that's Kasikorn on Klang, i doubt it would include the ponzy uplift they were probably expecting. Original money back is a good deal

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Presumably that's Kasikorn on Klang, i doubt it would include the ponzy uplift they were probably expecting. Original money back is a good deal

Was the fraud not centered on a branch on Buakhao?

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No, Pattaya Klang, which surprised me that they closed others and left this one open

"The branch involved is the Kasikorn Bank, Soi Bua Khao Pattaya branch in Central Pattaya Road."

Ah, the one near The Grand Bella I suspect. 

49 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

"The branch involved is the Kasikorn Bank, Soi Bua Khao Pattaya branch in Central Pattaya Road."

Ah, the one near The Grand Bella I suspect. 

Maybe a different scam? the Ponzi scam receiving 3 or 4% interest a month was reported at Klang

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe a different scam? the Ponzi scam receiving 3 or 4% interest a month was reported at Klang

No, same I believe, this branch is actually on Klang, near the junction with Buakhao......so more my error.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No, same I believe, this branch is actually on Klang, near the junction with Buakhao......so more my error.

Yeah the Klang branch is 100 metres away from Buakhao, Buakhao branch closed last year or year before

• Like 1

I went through the first page and decided to look at the posting date!

One and done and not a repeat .

Happy to hear it was resolved .

Probably not to everyone’s liking imop

What happened to the deviant bank rep?

9 hours ago, PPGuy said:

Seems like the bank has finally agreed to settle the fraud case as noted in this 103FM report. Would be interesting to hear any details of the settlement.

I'm not being prejudiced here but I hope they're providing showers for the occupants of those cells.

Odoriferous comment I'm sure.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is a connection between both branches, the fella in question used to work in Klang branch, then appeared as the manager of the smaller Buakhao one. I had regular savings accounts in both and knew him to talk to over the years. Came across as a decent chap, but of course successful scammers always do.!!!!

A bit misleading to describe the guy as a mere "staffer". He was a manager at the Klang branch, had his own office and farangs were referred to him by other staff, me included.

I was never offered any of his  "special" investments but he was nonetheless a personable and likeable chap.

I wonder what, if anything, happened to his co-worker lady friend who; it was alleged; facilitated his wrong doings in her position as branch manager.

6 minutes ago, champers said:

A bit misleading to describe the guy as a mere "staffer". He was a manager at the Klang branch, had his own office and farangs were referred to him by other staff, me included.

I was never offered any of his  "special" investments but he was nonetheless a personable and likeable chap.

I wonder what, if anything, happened to his co-worker lady friend who; it was alleged; facilitated his wrong doings in her position as branch manager.

Hire a lawyer for a civil case against her to find out, for greater compensation 

• Confused 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:52 PM, ctxa said:

Good that they rejected me when I tried to open account with them for "not having work permit"

The link doesn't open for me but the bank's name stands out in clear green in the web-address.

(... Ooops, first post is old)

Edited by thailandsgreat