Bank staffer arrested after siphoning tens of millions of baht from Pattaya expats

Jonathan Fairfield

Bank staffer arrested after siphoning tens of millions of baht from Pattaya expats

564000001087501.jpeg

Image: Manager

Police have arrested the assistant manager of a branch of a bank in Pattaya who allegedly stole large sums of money from a group of expats and their Thai wives.

Police made the arrest after receiving complaints from customers of the branch that money had been going missing from their accounts.

Some of the victims also claimed the suspect duped them into investing in financial products, promising  high interest returns that instead, caused them to lose millions of baht.

Others said they had deposited their retirement money, which they had transferred from their home countries, into bank accounts set up by the suspect who also facilitated withdrawals, deposits and updating their bank books over several years.

The victims discovered that money had been taken from their accounts when their balances failed to match what was listed in their bank books.

Colonel Pisit Poonsap from Pattaya police said he expects more victims to come forward.

The branch of the bank in question where the fraud is alleged to have taken place was not named in the Manager report. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-02

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ctxa said:

FaceID or TouchID.... 

But that's not where I was coming from, will 2FA matter when someone clones your session after having completed 2FA (cookies hijacking, IP spoofing, among many others)?... much harder to do on a smartphone than on a PC. 

actually I believe it's the opposite, getting full control on a phone is much easier than getting full control of a computer.  well, maybe make that of MY computer.

IP spoofing is a 20 year old thing, doesn't do much nowadays. cookies hijacking neither...
one possible vector today is an elaborate man in the middle attack by hijacking the router and cloning certificates, rerouting traffic, or a bona fide "full control" hack of the target. not easy at all to do, except if you get the user to execute a doctored executable, and even then it would have to be a specially made one that is not recognized by Windows defender.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

More like weak minds thinking that a monthly return of 3.5% was a low risk 'investment'.

On this forum (I recomand you to read the part about bank and investissements)

there are a lot of people bragging they are able to cash 5% oreven more with their

investissements including in their bank accounts.

Personaly i am ''happy'' when i find something around 1%, usually it seems the ''normal'' interest

rate at the moment is ''0 , something''.

I am maybe unlucky with my interests, but so far the money invested is safe.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The branch of the bank in question when the  fraud is alleged to have taken place was not named in the Manager report. 

Yes, the most important thing here is that the person who did it and the bank are never named.

How else are they supposed to find the other victims?

• Like 2

This is Kasikorn in Pattaya Klang, my main branch, generally very good but they got a rogue employee. The bank should cover the losses, they can't riggle out of this surely. 

I doubt it's just this branch, as we know ideas get copied

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, nightfox said:

No surprised to here its Kasikorn bank. I'm so glad I closed my account with those clowns. Worst most unprofessional bank I have ever dealt with.

11 years not One problem is my expieriance with them ....but i also would never ever believe  3.5 % a month ...

As i also never believed all those millions from  Nig...n.  emails ????

Edited by david555
  • Like 2