Halogen conversion to LED

Brer

If I change 5 halogen GU5.3 220volt 50watt globes to GU5.3 220volt 5.5watt globes can I just push pins into the tiny socket that connects to globe and that’s it the lights work? Nothing else to do?

Hah, I’ve recently been doing this. In my condo above my desk were three of the small halogen lights tied to a transformer. One by one they’ve been going out. No one appears to be stocking the bulbs anymore. I was teaching at home due to Covid, and I was getting darker on cam. So I just grabbed a Panasonic LED tube at Big C, then pulled the whole old set off. It was an IKEA, with a date of 2009 inside. Consumption was 50 watts. The LED tube is now 9 watts. Next up will be the similar halogen lights above the kitchen sink.

Make sure you get the correct voltage LEDs, those tiny sockets seem to come in 12V and 220V flavours.

Those with 12V "electronic transformers" may find the LEDs don't provide enough load so a new transformer may be needed too.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Make sure you get the correct voltage LEDs, those tiny sockets seem to come in 12V and 220V flavours.

Those with 12V "electronic transformers" may find the LEDs don't provide enough load so a new transformer may be needed too.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Can you take out the transformer completely and join the circuit wires to the wires from the 2 hole connector thing with a connector block and then use the 220V bulbs - or is there a safety issue?

2 hours ago, topt said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Can you take out the transformer completely and join the circuit wires to the wires from the 2 hole connector thing with a connector block and then use the 220V bulbs - or is there a safety issue?

Good question that is what I really want to know.

8 hours ago, topt said:

- or is there a safety issue?

In reality, probably not, the amount of insulation needed to provide mechanical strength is much larger than is needed for actual insulation.

Have a look at the holder and wire, if they're marked "220V" or something similar they're definitely OK, obviously if it's "12V" then definitely not OK.

Personally, I'd go with the 12V LEDs and retain the transformer.

• Thanks 1