New Air Blade.......

Late this afternoon picked up an Air Blade. Blue, black mags and combi-brake.

I have roughly 1 hour "seat time" on a motorcycle in the last 30 years. Recently I rode around on a Honda scooter; I'd forgotten how much fun it was so I decided to get one.

I only drove it home because it was getting dark (I don't see for <deleted> at night). Anyway it's a dream to drive; so easy. Can't believe how quiet it is.

Can't wait for the sun to come up so I can get a better feel for it.

I'm 50 going on 14. :o

I'll post again after putting some K's on it; so far I don't find any negs.

LDB

I'm curious to know why you chose the new Honda Air Blade over the tried and tested Yamaha Nouvo?

I've never had a bad Honda product. 2 cars, 1 generator, 1 self-propelled lawnmower, 1 water pump. Everything Honda makes WORKS and LASTS. Also, Honda stands behind their products should you have a problem.

I like the looks of the Honda better. Also, I wanted a water-cooled engine. I believe it's better for the hot climes here. I'm not worried about the fact that this is a new bike for Honda. If I'm not mistaken the Air Blade comes standard with a "fatter" set of tires than the Nouvo......a plus in my book but as I said I might be wrong about this.

And......I heard the Nouvo gets really shitty gas mileage.....although that's really not a major concern for me...............heck I've got a Fortuner automatic....only 11 kpl........lol.

LDB

• 2 weeks later...
Late this afternoon picked up an Air Blade. Blue, black mags and combi-brake.

I have roughly 1 hour "seat time" on a motorcycle in the last 30 years. Recently I rode around on a Honda scooter; I'd forgotten how much fun it was so I decided to get one.

I only drove it home because it was getting dark (I don't see for <deleted> at night). Anyway it's a dream to drive; so easy. Can't believe how quiet it is.

Can't wait for the sun to come up so I can get a better feel for it.

I'm 50 going on 14. :o

I'll post again after putting some K's on it; so far I don't find any negs.

LDB

I picked up an Air Blade this afternoon.

Very Nice! And decent acceleration for a small bike.

Those fat (phat?) tyres are excellent.

I am having problems with the electric ignition though.

I've got to say it: if a smaller scooter makes you feel like you're going on 14 (when we thought 5 horsepower was a lot), then a CBR150 would make you feel 18 and legal to drive a big motorcycle.

Enjoy the AirBlade.

C'mon Peace, you're having a laugh aren't you?

ive just rented an air blade to try out. Had it 3 days, and for me ive been out of the saddle for about 25 years. I did find the riding position odd at first but by hthe end of day 3 I was quite impressed with it.

Its a doddle to drive being an auto, the acceleration is impressive and I like the dual hand brakes which are good. Feels a solid bike but the flip is its a bit heavy.

All in all quite impressed...next up the smaller click.

I've got to say it: if a smaller scooter makes you feel like you're going on 14 (when we thought 5 horsepower was a lot), then a CBR150 would make you feel 18 and legal to drive a big motorcycle.Enjoy the AirBlade.

Yes and no. We're joking about how young two wheels feels with a motor. I didn't say the 150 was a big motorcycle (although it is a sportbike in Thailand). The CBR would make a man feel younger than a scooter, unless scooters just bring us back to the days of pimples and first dates.

Whats with the combi-brake ? are we talking a single lever operating both brakes here ?

yes, i think there was a post somewhere stating that the split was 70/30 back/front respectively ..I think!

Anyway in reality they felt good. I was impressed.

Are they fitted on any other bikes / makes?

I've just rented an Air Blade, too. And my electronic ignition takes a while to start. I love it around town but it only goes 90kph on the open road. Is anyone else getting a higher top speed out of their Air Blade?

PeaceBlondie, I just read the CBR thread and your bike looks like a lot of fun. Just two questions: Is it comfortable enough for a six footer (183cm)? Also, it looks pretty uncomfortable for a second person riding on the back. What's your experience with that? tia

Steve

I've got to say it: if a smaller scooter makes you feel like you're going on 14 (when we thought 5 horsepower was a lot), then a CBR150 would make you feel 18 and legal to drive a big motorcycle.Enjoy the AirBlade.

Yes and no. We're joking about how young two wheels feels with a motor. I didn't say the 150 was a big motorcycle (although it is a sportbike in Thailand). The CBR would make a man feel younger than a scooter, unless scooters just bring us back to the days of pimples and first dates.

35 years ago I bought a 'Vespa' for 50 bucks. The improvements in scooters is amazing. I also later graduated to a Harley Sportster (piece of junk).

Anyway this bike fits the way I drive. Mostly exploring back country roads and villages. Can't drive much over 40kpm thru a village; nor do I want to.

I paid 200K baht extra to get the automatic in my Fortuner. Don't like shifting anymore; just more fun for me to twist and go. The joy I get is not in the manipulation of the controls but in the things I see and the places I go. The experience of riding in the open; instead of being surrounded by a car. LOL I can sit in my chair at the keyboard and move my feet up and down.

I guess we're all after different things when we ride a motorcycle. For me it's not shifting.....too much work.

Anyway the bottom line is: IT'S FUN!!!!!!!!!!! :D

edit: BTW, I've got a one-off Air Blade. Blue, combi-brake, black mags.....try finding a Dealer with that combo or ordering from the factory...... :o

(I didn't like the other color options offered with the combi-brake & mag package)

Edited by LoveDaBlues

Can you store a full-face crash helmet under the seat? You can on my Nouvo, but I like the look of the Air Blade (like a Fireblade, but not as hot!).

What's this people say about slow starting? The Nouvo fires up instantly and can be ridden within a second of starting. Great for saving the environment/petrol at traffic lights, but still getting to the other side quickly.

PeaceBlondie, I just read the CBR thread and your bike looks like a lot of fun. Just two questions: Is it comfortable enough for a six footer (183cm)? Also, it looks pretty uncomfortable for a second person riding on the back. What's your experience with that? tia

Steve

I apoogize for hijacking this AirBlade thread, and will answer your question on the CBR150 thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117958

I'm curious to know why you chose the new Honda Air Blade over the tried and tested Yamaha Nouvo?

I haven't ridden a Yamaha Nuovo. Could you Nuovo riders please tell me what you like aobut it? Particularly, I'd like to know what it's top speed is. tia

130km/h off Pinklao bridge, 120 on the flat. 110 in no time. Gets off the lights quicker than most bikes, until the bigger ones get into third gear, but by then you're normally in traffic again. Slightly smaller (16") wheels improve manouvreabilty (but don't improve my spelling), but aren't too small (Click, Mio, Airblade) which would decrease stability. The hole under the seat is huge and takes a full-face helmet or 6 big Heinekens. You can ope up the seat while keeping the key in the ignition slot (just turn it the other way). I love mine and would only be interested in an Airblade if there were no compromises. !20baht's worth of fuel lasts me a week or more, but I have no idea what that is in distance. They really are a great bike and I've had all sorts, from 50cc-1000cc, on and off road, Bangkok and Europe.

The thing thats great about a small capacity bike is it is fun to find a long straight quiet road and just wind it and see how fast you can get out of it, always looking for that one extra mph, try doing that on a big bike and your dead !

130km/h off Pinklao bridge, 120 on the flat. 110 in no time. Gets off the lights quicker than most bikes, until the bigger ones get into third gear, but by then you're normally in traffic again. Slightly smaller (16") wheels improve manouvreabilty (but don't improve my spelling), but aren't too small (Click, Mio, Airblade) which would decrease stability. The hole under the seat is huge and takes a full-face helmet or 6 big Heinekens. You can ope up the seat while keeping the key in the ignition slot (just turn it the other way). I love mine and would only be interested in an Airblade if there were no compromises. !20baht's worth of fuel lasts me a week or more, but I have no idea what that is in distance. They really are a great bike and I've had all sorts, from 50cc-1000cc, on and off road, Bangkok and Europe.

Yeah, now that you mention it, although my rental Air Blade feels stable and helps me take corners better than on other bikes, at 90 moderate bumps make me fear for my life. Thanks for the confirmation on that, and for the speed info, too. 110 is actually all this camper needs. Now to rent a Nuovo and try it out.

The thing thats great about a small capacity bike is it is fun to find a long straight quiet road and just wind it and see how fast you can get out of it, always looking for that one extra mph, try doing that on a big bike and your dead !

haha, exactly. When I was renting a spark and got it up to 120kph I slowed down because I was afraid. But with a Nuovo that goes "only" 120, I can brag about maxing it out at the same speed. Much more macho. lol

In comparing the automatic bikes, a deal-breaker for me would be (I'm still on the fence about buying...) that the Yamaha bikes (Nuovo & Mio) are more "shopping friendly" -- they have basket mounts on the front, a hook to hang a bag near your legs, and the Nuovo has a large cavity under the seat.

The Hondas, sadly, have none of those storage options.

Since my main use would be to go shopping at Tesco, Carrefour, Foodland, etc, that's a significant point.

I haven't ridden a Yamaha Nuovo. Could you Nuovo riders please tell me what you like aobut it? Particularly, I'd like to know what it's top speed is. tia

Indicated 120 kmh. two up, proberly 110 true, it is much faster than the honda air blade for some reason, maby the gearing? ours is new with 1500 km on the clock.

I do like the fatter tires on the Honda air blade though.

Kind regards :o

In comparing the automatic bikes, a deal-breaker for me would be (I'm still on the fence about buying...) that the Yamaha bikes (Nuovo & Mio) are more "shopping friendly" -- they have basket mounts on the front, a hook to hang a bag near your legs, and the Nuovo has a large cavity under the seat.

The Hondas, sadly, have none of those storage options.

Since my main use would be to go shopping at Tesco, Carrefour, Foodland, etc, that's a significant point.

I've been told by a pretty reliable source that you can order one of those lockable storage mounts in the same color as the bikes (Air Blade, etc.). It would mount where the back handle (4 bolts) currently is.

I won't be looking at that option as I don't need storage space.

edit: my Air Blade does have pretty decent storage under the seat. I can fit my helmet plus other stuff.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

I'd be a bit iffy about buying a yamaha after my experience with their air-cooled kart engines.

I had to have two of them and they were always getting rebuilt with original parts and settings and fuel mixtures. The piston material, it seems, was weak in the heat here and they turned green before completely breaking down.

It didn't matter what time of the year either. They were as unreliable in the colder months as they were during the summer.

I'm not saying that the Nouvo sucks but just that it just conjures images of frustration.

:o

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be a bit iffy about buying a yamaha after my experience with their air-cooled kart engines.

I had to have two of them and they were always getting rebuilt with original parts and settings and fuel mixtures. The piston material, it seems, was weak in the heat here and they turned green before completely breaking down.

It didn't matter what time of the year either. They were as unreliable in the colder months as they were during the summer.

I'm not saying that the Nouvo sucks but just that it just conjures images of frustration.

:o

I wouldn't worry too much about the aircooled Yamaha Nouvo. I've been caning one around Thailand and the Philippines 2-up for 18 months and never had a problem. My 2up weight is around 150kg. Before that I did over 5 years on an air-cooled Honda Wave. I've never had a mechanical breakdown in 10's of thousands of kilometers in tropical conditions.

If you look around Pattaya, you'll see maybe 50 thousand or more air cooled Hondas and Yamahas. All the bike rentals are air cooled.

I'm amazed that anyone could make a comment that they are anything buy extremely reliable. Of course racing karts is a different proposition entirely.