UK asks EU for Brexit grace period extension to 2023, BBC reports

snoop1130

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Right on and if your leaders can,t cut the mustard by achieving something as simple as ordering a consignment of drugs,vote them out,oh i forgot,the eu dosen,t believe in peoples elections.

European MP's are elected, unlike your House of Weird Lords.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Wrong.

Imports into the UK of the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine from Belgium were never in danger.

I'm not excusing her, but what von der Leyen tried to do was stop extra vaccine being taken from EU counties to the UK via the RoI as the manufacturer was not meeting their commitment to the EU.

Neither, come to that, are UK company AstraZeneca with their Oxford vaccine.

As said, her actions were inexcusable; but there are always two sides to every story. Sometimes the EU are in the wrong, sometimes we are. 

Not that I expect many Brexiteers will accept that. Their knee jerk reaction has always been to ignore the facts and blame the EU for regardless!

By your own admission the eu were wrong in this instance,so whats there to accept about that?

On 2/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, candide said:

Not granting diplomatic status to the EU representative is surely the best way to get a positive reply! ????

Since you frequently point out the EU is a "club", why should they?

Diplomatic status is reserved for Country representatives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Perhaps they are,it seems a lot of the brussels government aren,t, "wierd lords" thats up to the uk,not you.

I admit that the Weird Lords are up to the UK, not me.

Will you admit that the European parlement and government  is up to the Europeans, not you?

You're out of the club, so stop medling in the club's rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Then you have no problem with the 2.5 million or so  EU nationals living in the UK.

Nor the approximately 1.8 million UK nationals doing the same in the EU.

I know facts are anathema to the average Brexiteer, but read it if you dare; you'll find that the FoM directive has never allowed anyone to move to another EU member state in order to ponce.

Fine in theory,abused in practise,aided and abetted by previous government's too apathetic and possibly frightened ( after all they didn't want to jeopardise their financial futures when the punters realise what j,arthurs they were and voted them out) and could waltz into a lucrative appointment in brussels.no wonder we had a parliament of remainers,how bitter they were when the peasants actually revolted,not just once with the peoples vote on leave but also when boris got elected in a landslide victory in a two horse election.

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Not good or bad...  just when you deal with countries or trading blocks for that matter....  they will always act in their own interests... if you have common interests... that is great... if you want to deal... you go to the negotiating table say what you want, what you can offer... the other side does the same... if you can find through negotiations an agreement acceptable to both and both have determined that overall it is in their own interests overall... then you can come up with an agreement... if not... that is fine too...  Just don't expect the EU to represent or care about the interests of the UK...   All this whinging about the EU not treating the UK like they are special... well, I am sorry to say the UK is not special.

If you sleep with dogs,expect to get fleas.

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I admit that the Weird Lords are up to the UK, not me.

Will you admit that the European parlement and government  is up to the Europeans, not you?

You're out of the club, so stop medling in the club's rules.

Tell our elected government then,was thinking of going into politics but couldn,t afford the drop in money.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

European MP's are elected, unlike your House of Weird Lords.

So if your country's citizens are unhappy about the EU's laughable handling of the vaccine rollout, how exactly will they get rid of the people who screwed up? 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 9:34 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

The UK sets off on a self harming Brexit and when the harm starts hurting we get the inevitable blaming the very people who

warned of the consequences.

It’s always somebody else’s fault!

I think it will be the EU countries citizens who are harmed, without timely access to the vaccines.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I have some sympathy for Johnson ( and by extension our Brexiteer brethren), it can’t be easy being caught between a rock and a hard place; on the one hand driven to begging the EU for an extension of ‘grace’ while on the other being directed by Washington on the limits of a our options when dealing with Ireland.

What a very strange ‘sovereignty’ this is?!

What an utterly humiliating Brexit mess?!

A by product of previous apathetic weak governments,nigel farage has shown the nation what can be achieved when he bought down cameron..

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, placeholder said:

What exactly did they actually do with regards to the vaccine.

Not very much, it would appear!!

On 2/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, placeholder said:

So corrupt of them to accept valid criticism.

The problems lies in the fact they didn't accept any criticism, just tried to bluster and bully their way out of their embarrassment. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I think it will be the EU countries citizens who are harmed, without timely access to the vaccines.

True and thats a fact respective members citizens should take up with their respective governments,and if they,re mugged off with the old chestnut " we can,t do anything,we,re bound by eu rules " demand a peoples election.britain did it and proved the benefits of decisive independant leadership in procuring vaccine for its citizens.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Yeah the previous apathetic weak governments,i just said that.

OK explain what part anybody outside of Johnson’s Government played  in signing the deal Johnson signed and what part did anyone outside of Johnson’s Government play in begging the EU for an extension of ‘grace’?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Yup, begging.

What an utterly humiliating Brexit this is.

On the upside, comedy gold.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yup, begging.

What an utterly humiliating Brexit this is.

On the upside, comedy gold.

On your second point,totally agree when one observes the number of  eu residents not recieving their vaccine,but spot of decorum old boy we,re talking about peoples lives.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1