UK asks EU for Brexit grace period extension to 2023, BBC reports

snoop1130

7 hours ago, kingdong said:

And i hope the uk holds its own on the vaccine issue and sells there surplus to the highest bidder.

If It's the same type of contract as with the EU, vaccines must be resold at the same price, not a higher price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, kingdong said:

Blair sucked up to bush because clinton gave blair air support during the serbian war,when bush got in bush called the favour in and demanded support for the iraqui invasion where blair told a pack of lies about weapons of mass destruction,don,tthink boris is stupid enough to put hisself in that position.

Many in the UK feel that they're are the USA's biggest Aircraft Carrier.

21 hours ago, kingdong said:

Well we,re out of it thats for sure,it was obvious the eu were going to give the uk a load of kak for daring to leave their corrupt little club,why it might give other members ideas about peoples votes,especially bearing in mind their handling of the vaccine fiasco,still its always someone elses fault.

Some countries, such as Switzerland and the EFTA countries, have certain rights with the EU via various trade agreements; but no county has what you seem to think is our right. That is all the benefits of membership with none of the responsibilities.

I know you were told by Leave five and a half years ago that we would get that, that they needed us more than we needed them; but they were wrong.

18 hours ago, smedly said:

in terms of deals I think the UK is doing very well 

have you just wakened up after a long sleep for years 

If all is as well as you say, why has Gove asked for this extension?

Not to mention the export difficulties well documented on this forum and in the media because we're now being treated by the EU the same as other non members.

19 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You seem to be forgetting that within weeks of the WA being signed, Johnson threatened to abandon the Northern Ireland protocol!

and so what 

Barnier was making all sorts of threats BJ did the right thing 100%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kingdong said:

<snip>

The uk put in an order early while france dithered don,t know wording of contract but would assume it was legally binding,

It is extremely unlikely that any contract between the UK government and the vaccine suppliers forbids those suppliers from selling to anyone else.

If it did, then it would probably be illegal under both UK and EU law.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

<snip>

I think the issue is that the EU has shown the world this week that it really doesn't care about the border in Ireland.

So what did Johnson show last year when he wanted to tear up his own Northern Irish protocol?

What are Johnson and Gove showing by their tit for tat threat to invoke Article 16?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keesters said:

With aspirations of something more sinister.

Why does a trading block require an army? 

It doesn't.

There is no EU army and neither will there ever be one without the unanimous consent of all members.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

And has done since 1942; if not earlier.

if you too are trying to get a rise out of me by posting stupid baiting nonsense like that then you're going to have to try a lot harder

The UK has left the EU get over it 

We are back to what the EU was when it all started - trade 

Who is next ?, I predicted many months ago that Germany and France would be next

Look up 2x speed EU and see what you get 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

if you too are trying to get a rise out of me by posting stupid baiting nonsense like that then you're going to have to try a lot harder

Who is next ?, I predicted many months ago that Germany and France would be next

Stupid, baiting nonsense? A reply to a post about the length of the UK/USA special relationship is in your mind "stupid baiting nonsense?"

Well, if that's the best you can do, maybe you should go away and learn some history!

Yes, we've left the EU; I know. But as the UK is a democracy I am still allowed to express my regrets at that decision and criticise the government's efforts since.

Any real, hard evidence that Germany and France will be leaving the EU; if so, when?

I looked up 2x speed EU and got lots of results on internet speeds and high speed trains in Europe; but how are they relevant?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, smedly said:

I predict the UK will become a 3rd world nation... and I can just see the replies now -- what do you have to support it.... well none... I guess it makes my prediction worthless if not outright stupid...

Now if you had a forecast based on actual facts... then maybe it would not be the same as my 'prediction'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dublin and EU reject call to scrap Northern Ireland Brexit protocol

Ireland’s foreign minister dismisses request by DUP in escalating row over trade barriers in Irish Sea

Dublin and EU reject call to scrap Northern Ireland Brexit protocol | Brexit | The Guardian

Lisa O'Carroll Brexit correspondent
Thu 4 Feb 2021 10.59 GMT

The Brexit agreement’s Northern Ireland protocol will not be scrapped, the Irish government and the EU have said in an escalating row over the new trade barriers down the Irish Sea.

The Democratic Unionist party leader, Arlene Foster, has called for the measure designed to keep the Irish land border open to be replaced, but Dublin is focused on easing problems with the post-Brexit trade deal that have caused disruption at Irish ports.

The Irish foreign minister, Simon Coveney, told BBC Ulster “there is not going to be very dramatic change”, in the face of calls by the DUP for the protocol to be urgently axed.

“We want the protocol to function in a way that works for everyone, north and south, on the island of Ireland,” he said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Wrong.

Imports into the UK of the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine from Belgium were never in danger.

I'm not excusing her, but what von der Leyen tried to do was stop extra vaccine being taken from EU counties to the UK via the RoI as the manufacturer was not meeting their commitment to the EU.

Neither, come to that, are UK company AstraZeneca with their Oxford vaccine.

As said, her actions were inexcusable; but there are always two sides to every story. Sometimes the EU are in the wrong, sometimes we are. 

Not that I expect many Brexiteers will accept that. Their knee jerk reaction has always been to ignore the facts and blame the EU for regardless!

Yeah theres always two sides to an argument,their commitment to the eu?ever heard of the argument first come first served?sometimes the eu are in the wrong,yeah and will only hold their hands up and admit when they,re caught out bang to rights.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So it's ok by you for Johnson to renege on an international treaty because the other side won't kow tow in other, separate negotiations.

Not surprised; typical Brexiteer wanting the UK handed everything on a plate without having to give anything back in return.

After five and a half years, it's time you lot entered the real world!

Eu good uk bad,eu good uk bad.