How clean can your personal air be and how much does it cost?

sidjameson

I'm in the UK and mulling over a permanent move to Bangkok.

The air quality is a big issue for me.

I really don't know much, but have the idea air purifiers work for ones apartment and N95 masks work outside.

Absurd proposition for living I know!

So how much would keeping a 30m2 apartment cost upfront and running?

Are there reusable masks and what do they end up costing in the long run?

I don't need perfection but want to feel I'm not inviting an old age needing a ventilator.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

problem is winter months, november-march, when north-eater monsoon blows poisons from china and when farmers burn fields and jungle.

get an apartment as high floor as possible. Also away from the town centre, preferably west suburbs (the majority of winds are from the west, from birma direction - cleaner than those from elsewhere).

Very decent air cleaner is around 4k baht, filter every 6 month 800b and electricity 30w. I got mine recently for 600b.

If you are going use air-con (probably yes), so it filters pollutants and has closed air intake setting. You can put en extra HEPA filter for 22b a sheet and change once a month.

If you are not going to use air con you can use those filters behind fans and change every week.

Masks are cheap N95 some 25b.

Or builder masks with activated carbon 70-120b, filter 30b every 30h of use.

Also sports masks with activated carbon, 200b. those look better on the street.

All masks can be washed and used for months.

But at the worst times doing health holidays south to huan chin/cha am or east pattaya, rayong, and beyond those provinces

Edited by internationalism

13 hours ago, internationalism said:

problem is winter months, november-march, when north-eater monsoon blows poisons from china and when farmers burn fields and jungle.

get an apartment as high floor as possible. Also away from the town centre, preferably west suburbs (the majority of winds are from the west, from birma direction - cleaner than those from elsewhere).

Very decent air cleaner is around 4k baht, filter every 6 month 800b and electricity 30w. I got mine recently for 600b.

If you are going use air-con (probably yes), so it filters pollutants and has closed air intake setting. You can put en extra HEPA filter for 22b a sheet and change once a month.

If you are not going to use air con you can use those filters behind fans and change every week.

Masks are cheap N95 some 25b.

Or builder masks with activated carbon 70-120b, filter 30b every 30h of use.

Also sports masks with activated carbon, 200b. those look better on the street.

All masks can be washed and used for months.

But at the worst times doing health holidays south to huan chin/cha am or east pattaya, rayong, and beyond those provinces

The air is not much better in these places either, Bangkok is toxic, why would anyone live there?

No idea because I don't live in  Bangkok, however I'd be more concerned about my mental health being cooped up in 30 sq metres.

Try expanding your options a little. Further out of Bangkok means less pollution, good sky train connection and more space for your money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, internationalism said:

You can put en extra HEPA filter for 22b a sheet and change once a month.

Please tell where I can get for Bht 22. Only seen Chinese stuff on Lazada for Bht55 enough for an aircon, and 3M Filtrete is a crazy price. Thanks.

as to why to live in bangkok, and not somewhere else, there are many reasons - work with high wages, business opportunities, higher standard of life, domestic and international travel (as bangkok is transport hub).

there are 4 major contributors to pollution:

- cars, other transport

- construction sites

- seasonal burning

- industrial pollution coming from china during north-east monsoon

- local industry

each one is responsible for some 20% of pollution.

outside city centre there are less cars and construction, also no high rise buildings (which trap pollution).

as of today, now, bangkok is not on the 10 most polluted cities on thailand, AQI reading is now 135.

in comparison to

1Si Samrong, Sukhothai 200

2Lampang, Lampang 193

3Phra Samut Chedi, Samut Prakan 193

4Rayong, Rayong 180

5Photharam, Ratchaburi 178

6Kamphaeng Phet, Kamphaeng Phet 176

7Sukhothai, Sukhothai 176

8Bang Khon Thi, Samut Songkhram 172

9Chon Buri, Chon Buri 172

10Nakhon Pathom, Nakhon Pathom 172

from those 6 provinces are close to bangkok.

I think chiang mai is the most polluted city, because of burning and being positioned in the valley. Sensitive people do have to relocate to the south for several months.

the further to south the cleaner air, but also longer and stronger rainy season (rain brings down pollutants)  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please tell where I can get for Bht 22. Only seen Chinese stuff on Lazada for Bht55 enough for an aircon, and 3M Filtrete is a crazy price. Thanks.

I have 30 pieces of those for 20b, works 21b per piece (including delivery). They are only 30x70cm, the cheapest possible, probably scrap from some production line. But they are good enough. That some 85b/m2. There are larger pieces available, but over 150b/m2. 

I have put them on the window nets, behind wall and floor fans and even inside air purifies (to save for longer the proper filters, with multiple layers, including activated carbon).

On the fans they considerably slow airflow, so need to use higher speeds, but it's ok, the faster cleaning process. 

I will try to wash them and see, if they can be reused. Although the seller says one time use.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1217882817-s2895638577.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

looks the same filters (just 2cm shorter) can be shipped from abroad for 11.5b per piece and 22b p&p.

so I have ordered 40 and will compare with what I already have (which are very good).

they can differ in quality, thickness 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10pcs-68x30cm-electrostatic-cotton-for-xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-pro-1-2-universal-brand-air-purifier-filter-hepa-filter-i780526212-s1548076227.html?

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

Try expanding your options a little. Further out of Bangkok means less pollution, good sky train connection and more space for your money.

Many areas with a sky train connection and on the outskirts regularly have air pollution as bad or even worse than central Bangkok.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, internationalism said:

looks the same filters (just 2cm shorter) can be shipped from abroad for 11.5b per piece and 22b p&p.

so I have ordered 40 and will compare with what I already have (which are very good).

they can differ in quality, thickness 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10pcs-68x30cm-electrostatic-cotton-for-xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-pro-1-2-universal-brand-air-purifier-filter-hepa-filter-i780526212-s1548076227.html?

Thanks for the info. I shall try this one. 

And any off-cuts, use in the car inlets.

Edited by KannikaP

• 2 weeks later...

it looks like in bangkok the highest concentration is from midnight to morning. Something to do with air stagnation, no wind and no thermal uplift. So from noon to evening are the cleanest, even despite car fumes.

However, in the green outskirts there are industries.

Still, living in the suburbs gives space, cooler (and less moist) air, because of the vegetation and water (canals, ponds, wetlands etc).

as to cheap filters - they are cotton made, can be soaked and washed by hand probably many times (so sellers say can't be washed or washed 1-2 times), but they would never be white and change shape, are wrinkled. So good to reuse behind fans, inside air purifies, but not on the window's nets.