Police seize $60 million of bitcoin! Now, where's the password?

webfact

11 minutes ago, topt said:

No. Definitely Passw0rd as has to have one upper/lower and one number and minimum 8..........

i think i might start using that. no one would ever think i could possibly be that dumb. oh wait. 

• Haha 2

There has been a number of such stories in recent weeks - how bitcoiners who have lost their password cannot access their assets, which are usually of a fabulous size.

Does anyone else suspect they are PR stories generated to promote the 'safety' of this system at a time when it is being questioned by the traditional channels?

• Like 1

As already somewhat referenced to above, they have confiscated nothing, that's not how Bitcoin works.

Your wallet is not a bag of virtual money.

Remember that thing called 'blockchain'? right, that's where your money lives

Only thing you need is the key to access it.

Your wallet is a (password protected) way of keeping those keys, either as a collection of those keys (older system) or a way to generate those keys from a starting point (12 / 24 words)

In both cases though, you have a backup - and know the password or remember the words, you control the outputs on the blockchain (UTXO)

So I guess the police in this case have.. eh.. an encrypted file.

Edited by Jan Dietz

On 2/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

That guy is living dangerously! Electric torture, fingernail pulling, sledge hammer to knee caps and waterboarding comes to mind. We are talking about a chance for the plod to get 60 million dollar.

Forget it. Its in Germany.

The country where a police chief was prosecuted for giving a kidnapper of a young boy a few good smacks hoping he will tell the whereabouts. Big "torture" story. The boy died from suffocation.

Maybe they will throw some cotton balls.

• Haha 1