Do Tokays eat rat poison

Susco

Since I live in an agricultor area, I sometimes have rats. I always have rodenticide in my loft and some places outside.

I use this flocoumafen block bait, which seems pretty effective.

Image result for block bait rodenticide

So I have 5 "tablets" laying in one area for several weeks, and they don't get touched.

Yesterday, 1 disappears, and this morning all 5 are gone.

I put 6 more in the same location, and 6 on the other side of the house.

This evening at 11pm, the 6 that I put back in the same location are gone already, those at the other side of the house are untouched.

I know I have a few of those large Tokays who are housing in the garden shed at the far end of the property.

Now I worry, is the poison eaten by rats, and should I put more, or is it eaten by those Tokays, so I should stop putting it there?

Edited by Susco

Get yourself down to Home Pro and buy a couple of ultra sound gadgets that plug in to the electric, before anybody says they dont work let me tell you the ones I bought DO work, we used to get rats not no more and it must work on Tokays and Gecko's because there is none in or around the house and I always say every house in Phuket has them.

Right now I cant tell you the brand I bought coz Im not there, later today about 5 pm I will take a photo then you can see if that make is still available it's been about 3 years I bought it.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Got a spare phone? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remoteguard.phototrap&hl=en_IN

I had to use it to get a photo of the cat which has adopted us.

I don't think tokays will go for non-moving food.

There maybe a cat jump over the wall now and then, as I have noticed one on occasion, but I don't suspect cats picking up poison.

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

There maybe a cat jump over the wall now and then, as I have noticed one on occasion, but I don't suspect cats picking up poison.

I was suggesting the camera trap to see what's eating the bait ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just checked, and the poison I dropped at the other side of the house is still untouched.

I would suspect that any rodent or animal roams around the whole place, and find it in every location, especially because it was not just 1 of the blocks that disappeared in just a few hours.

Makes it even stranger

I don't have any at our current house, would like to as I enjoy them and their call,, sounds a lot like yuck fou... when we first got to Thailand 73...at Camp Friendship we swore there was some guy hiding in the bushes and messing with us..  we were very green and didn't know.. There was another lizard who's call sounded like Re-up, thought it was hysterical when they were both calling...and nope did not re-up..listen to the Tokay...he's right.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:22 AM, yankyoakum said:

I don't have any at our current house, would like to as I enjoy them and their call,, sounds a lot like yuck fou... when we first got to Thailand 73...at Camp Friendship we swore there was some guy hiding in the bushes and messing with us..  we were very green and didn't know.. There was another lizard who's call sounded like Re-up, thought it was hysterical when they were both calling...and nope did not re-up..listen to the Tokay...he's right.

Sometimes when I sit outside at night the tokay over the road says something a bit like yuck fou , so I say and f............. you too. Such a mean looking lizard but they sound so cute.

IMGP1252 (2).JPG

IMGP1926 (2).JPG

15 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Such a mean looking lizard but they sound so cute.

Yeah they look mean, and they are mean. When we bought our farm house it had been empty of human inhabitants for a couple of years and it was over-run by Tokays. It was a hell of a job getting them to leave, a big one actually chased my girlfriends sister out of the house which was pretty funny to watch, although she didn't see the amusing side.

They even stand their ground against our Pitbull, which never ends well for the Tokay.

I don't like the things, they make a load of noise (usually in the middle of the night) and can attract snakes to the property.