The bars and clubs might be open, but Pattaya’s famous nightlife looks dead and buried

webfact

11 hours ago, J Town said:

I've been to the PI many times. Each and every time I always felt I had to keep an eye out for an attack, be it small or large. I always kept my wallet in my front pocket and, the one time I let me guard down, I got ripped off.

There is much more a modicum of civility in LOS. I've been here 15 years and only mildly ripped off twice by foreigners.

Surprise! The whole world is suffering. Nobody's glass is even half full (except for billionaires but that's a whole other thread). The clubs are doing the best they can. We should focus on them and offer support any time we can.

So you have been to the Philippines many times and you got ripped off once but were paranoid all the time. Maybe that is why I always felt safe there on 50 different islands - I'm not paranoid.

• Like 1

Walking Street will be back again but maybe not quite like it was in its glory days.  For now, Soi B and LK Metro is about it with the odd beer bar here and there.  

For non nightlife activities I can still head over to Jomtien and spend a day at the beach.  I can ride my bicycle down to Sattahip via Bang Saray or go for an 8km run (early morning) along Jomtien.  

• Haha 1

As a young guy here now I can assure you that it is not dead. There are bars absolutely RAMMED with boomers on LK metro, soi buakhaow, lengkee, etc. I sat at Nikom court across from subway on buakhow and watched in fascination as the ladies at minibar on soi lengkee were packing the place out. 

I want to soi 6 and it’s pretty unfortunate. I had a drink with a chick I saw two years ago at toybox and there was absolutely nobody up and down the street; just dozens of girls looking bored. 

I do kind of like the quiet though, and the Gogobars have always been pretty extortionate 

12 hours ago, Rocking Robert said:

Why would you travel without insurance 

When insurance costs me $10 for a 2 week trip that cost $500, I buy insurance.

When insurance costs me $1000 for a 4 week trip that costs $2000, I don't buy insurance.

Seems entirely reasonable to me, items outrageously priced or beyond my reach I can do without.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Madeline Thompson said:

Really is heart-breaking, that such a vibrant city could simply disappear in

less than a year.  If it could happen there, it can happen anywhere.

I'd love to see Pattaya rescued - of course everything has died there,

it couldn't withstand  such severe lockdowns.  Didn't help that the

ruling government is very embarrassed by the 'sex trade' that has

been Pattaya's metier for years. During the evenings, that's what

it was, lots of people enjoying themselves; during the daytime -

gorgeous beaches, thriving businsses, lots and lots of people enjoying

themselves. Very prosperous city.

I don't agree that the Unelected "PM" and his soldiers are embarrassed by the 'sex trade' for a minute. The main thing they should be embarrassed about are the broken promises, and mind changing that would put a real politician to shame.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

I want to soi 6 and it’s pretty unfortunate. I had a drink with a chick I saw two years ago at toybox and there was absolutely nobody up and down the street; just dozens of girls looking bored. 

The soi 6 cartel made it a ripoff way before covid.

Sky high drinks prices (except Scooters) and sulky attitudes all round.

No wonder soi B and LKM are booming

21 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Looks like we have a winner of the 'Sanctimonious, here for the culture' BS Award.

Nope..my 3 reasons have always been financial...Cheap housing--healthy food options--affordable healthcare--all $$$ in the States aka Basic Human needs..

But go ahead and label me as a Sex Tourist--Im kinda used to it after a decade here.....were do I pick up my award to soothe your own projections?

18 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

You just reminded me Loy Kroh was scary before covid if you walked down to far the ladyboys were scary.

Just looking at the pics of walking St I would not venture down there, it looks scary.

Most of Thailands or probably all of Thailands  bar areas look like this now, there is some good videos on YouTube.

My Thai wife just told me that most bars are shut now in Hua Hin, and those falangs that are left are drinking at home, a stroll in the early evening or daylight might see a few expats in the odd bar, but I would not venture out at night down these ghost alleys now.

Loy Kroh after midnight pre covid was sketchy....deep voices lurking in the shadows....helll--lloooooooooooooo  bai nai?..where u goooooooo?  I go with uuuuuuuuu...??

15 hours ago, rott said:

Considering you don't know the place you have a lot to say about it. 

Of course-cos Patts is the ONLY bar in LOS that serves Oj and crappy broken english---thanks for correcting me.....I come to TV forums for the camaraderie and the bitterness! ????

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I lived there for the best part of 18 years and never came across any "Sketchy Vibes". l feel I have been ripped off. Is there a place where I can file an official complaint?

Different strokes for different folks....not everyone likes the same things as you.....Im sure the tourist police are happy to handle your complaint...as Im off to the temple to pray for you

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Nope..my 3 reasons have always been financial...Cheap housing--healthy food options--affordable healthcare--all $$$ in the States aka Basic Human needs..

But go ahead and label me as a Sex Tourist--Im kinda used to it after a decade here.....were do I pick up my award to soothe your own projections?

I've not found one foreign guy that came here that didn't end up having sex with a local.

Isn't that the definition of a sex tourist?

Or do you deny ever having sex with a Thai?

Although I do prefer the title 'Romance Traveller', as it's the feelings of love and affection I want more than the sex.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've not found one foreign guy that came here that didn't end up having sex with a local.

Although I do prefer the title 'Romance Traveller', as it's the feelings of love and affection I want more than the sex.

Thats the ONLY reason i go to thailand. There is nothing else there that remotely interests me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not denying having "romantic episodes" in LOS....My post was in my decade + of having been in LOS I finally decided to go have a look for myself and took a bus to Pattya upon landing at swampy---i got there late and remember wandering around looking for a cheap room for the night-which of course cheap rooms are in sketchy areas there, or was my exp....MY exp....

I wandered around to get some food etc and just got bad vibes of looking over my shoulder, etc, as I normally live up north in CM.....checked out and left the next day...not my scene..meh

If thats your thing great....I have lived here over a decade as its cheap and affordable..yes Ive paid for it and it sucked(not in a good way) it was a paid service and the service was bad

Its like going to get a steak and it was an awful meal---tried it a few times at diff locations and diff menu...nope.....Id rather be alone or wait for a girl that likes me, not my money..

I enjoy the challenge of working for it, i have lots of free time in LOS to invest, not pay for a quick fix, can do better with my hand for free...I have dated a few thais but prefer the chinese gals, and even scored the golden idol of a CMU Uni gal...half thai-half filipino.....dated a tour guide, village gal, silk shop gal..but prefer just hanging out with chinese gals..better company

Sex doesnt drive me...living affordably does.....if anyone wants to pay to play--then go for it--is your choice as is mine.....freedom right?...hence I spent less than 24 hrs in Patts..not for me

So yes I still have sex--I just no longer pay for it......is a mutual desire--not one sided....as was my exps prior.......(results may vary among TV members)

Very sad  state of affairs.  but the real issue right now there are no affordable flights to Thailand or anywhere for that matter.Prior  to Covid I was saying  that Pattaya was  dead  and  becoming very expensive.  Now is the time for a reality check  and for tourist operators to become serious about  pricing.For the last few years  I found it cheaper to travel to Europe and as it may be hard to believe  I can stay in Hotels  in Sweden, Norway  Finland for  around $130 a night Australian and in the Baltics  for $50-$60 a night. Eastern Europe is  around $60  a night   which include breakfast. The last few years you can find nice hotel in Pattaya  during the off season for around the $50-$60 a night which include breakfast which is catering for Indians or Chinese. These same hotels  rates increase to $100-$140   around Christmas time.It is sad to see  foreigners drinking in  slop houses as the  bars have become to expensive.

i know the big push as being for Chinese and Indian tourists  as the powers to be feel they are better value.Somehow I very much doubt it  and I stand to be corrected. They come for  a 3-4 days  on these packages  probably do a few tours and go leaving the poor house keeper cleaning up  all the rubbish that has been left behind.i have stayed in hotels which just cater for the Chinese Vietnam and Indian  tours and I have seen the disaster.Breakfast in the mornings is like a bomb and just exploded in the Restaurants. 

If that is what the Thai Tourist Department wants then  Walking Street and  many other areas in pattaya  should close the  door for good.

2 hours ago, globalspark said:

Very sad  state of affairs.  but the real issue right now there are no affordable flights to Thailand or anywhere for that matter.Prior  to Covid I was saying  that Pattaya was  dead  and  becoming very expensive.  Now is the time for a reality check  and for tourist operators to become serious about  pricing.For the last few years  I found it cheaper to travel to Europe and as it may be hard to believe  I can stay in Hotels  in Sweden, Norway  Finland for  around $130 a night Australian and in the Baltics  for $50-$60 a night. Eastern Europe is  around $60  a night   which include breakfast. The last few years you can find nice hotel in Pattaya  during the off season for around the $50-$60 a night which include breakfast which is catering for Indians or Chinese. These same hotels  rates increase to $100-$140   around Christmas time.It is sad to see  foreigners drinking in  slop houses as the  bars have become to expensive.

i know the big push as being for Chinese and Indian tourists  as the powers to be feel they are better value.Somehow I very much doubt it  and I stand to be corrected. They come for  a 3-4 days  on these packages  probably do a few tours and go leaving the poor house keeper cleaning up  all the rubbish that has been left behind.i have stayed in hotels which just cater for the Chinese Vietnam and Indian  tours and I have seen the disaster.Breakfast in the mornings is like a bomb and just exploded in the Restaurants. 

If that is what the Thai Tourist Department wants then  Walking Street and  many other areas in pattaya  should close the  door for good.

No affordable flights? I have not been looking at any since I am in Thailand but 2 of my former  air fare sites AirfareWatchDog and SkyScanner sent me emails about flites from Boston (USA) to Bangkok  for a little over $900 RT which is only slighty more than prices I have paid before.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think your mind may need a reset.

Did you actually think before you posted? So if I go to Spain, meet a Spanish girl and have sex with her, it makes me a sex tourist?

Someone who goes on holiday for other reasons and has sex with no money exchanged is called a tourist or holidaymaker.

No...it is people who travel somewhere expressly to indulge in paid for sex. That is a sex tourist. 

Sex tourism and prostitution go hand in hand..

On 2/10/2021 at 9:51 PM, Eindhoven said:

Someone who goes on holiday for other reasons and has sex with no money exchanged is called a tourist or holidaymaker.

I agree.

If you have a holiday in Thailand and have sex with a Thai women and don't pay, you are not a sex tourists.  

Taking her shopping, buying her a new phone, a gold necklace, a new motorbike, buying her a bar, buying a condo in her name, building her parents in the village a new house, and sending money for the sick buffalo so she will continue to have sex with you still does not make you a sex tourist either.   ????   

It's ONLY money being exchanged not long after having sex that makes you a sex tourist.   ????

Edited by Leaver

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I agree.

If you have a holiday in Thailand and have sex with a Thai women and don't pay, you are not a sex tourists.  

Taking her shopping, buying her a new phone, a gold necklace, a new motorbike, buying her a bar, buying a condo in her name, building her parents in the village a new house, and sending money for the sick buffalo so she will continue to have sex with you still does not make you a sex tourist either.   ????   

It's ONLY money being exchanged not long after having sex that makes you a sex tourist.   ????

You seem to have very limited experience with Thai women.

• Haha 2