Where can I get a criminal record letter (required for the Special Tourist Visa application) when applying from the United States?

The headline caught my eye because I've never ever heard of a criminal record check for any application for Tourist visa.  So I was wondering what exactly this "Special" Tourist visa is and decided to read about it and I was left speechless.  

How,  or why, would anyone actually get one of these visas because the requirements are outrageously impossible?  (OP, I'd be interested to know why you are applying for this?) 

Beyond their mandatory insurance and flight ticket (who buys that without even knowing if you'll get a visa?) and a criminal history check, and quarantine hotel paid up booking for 14 days, they also what letter from employer (not pay stubs).  Do any actual employees in America get vacation more than 14days at a time ?  

Then they want, fully paid up residential lease for entire time of intended stay !

Then they want medical certificate of disease free status (not just covid free) ! 

And assuming that you have all of that to process, after getting the visa, you then have to jump through more hoops to get a COE ?  Just for a 30 or 60 day stay?

Ok, I get it, they wanted to completely shut the borders to their country, but  do they really expect anyone who would go through all of that or is this just to block Americans?   And then why would anyone actually go through it, are people that desperate to spend a couple of days or weeks in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Time Traveller said:

The headline caught my eye because I've never ever heard of a criminal record check for any application for Tourist visa.  So I was wondering what exactly this "Special" Tourist visa is and decided to read about it and I was left speechless.  

How,  or why, would anyone actually get one of these visas because the requirements are outrageously impossible?  (OP, I'd be interested to know why you are applying for this?) 

Beyond their mandatory insurance and flight ticket (who buys that without even knowing if you'll get a visa?) and a criminal history check, and quarantine hotel paid up booking for 14 days, they also what letter from employer (not pay stubs).  Do any actual employees in America get vacation more than 14days at a time ?  

Then they want, fully paid up residential lease for entire time of intended stay !

Then they want medical certificate of disease free status (not just covid free) ! 

And assuming that you have all of that to process, after getting the visa, you then have to jump through more hoops to get a COE ?  Just for a 30 or 60 day stay?

Ok, I get it, they wanted to completely shut the borders to their country, but  do they really expect anyone who would go through all of that or is this just to block Americans?   And then why would anyone actually go through it, are people that desperate to spend a couple of days or weeks in Thailand?

To be fair US citizens don't need a letter from employer haha.  But yeah there are so many hoops to jump thru.  Myself, from US, want to get an initial 60 days and hope for an extension of 30 to make it 90.  Then do 'visa run' to maximize it to 270 days.  My partner got a job there for 9 month contract and I want to also come along.  However, I won't be working there in Bangkok.

That's for myself.  The only real upset I see is confirming a place of residence before we even go considering we were hoping to find a place once there...

On 2/9/2021 at 12:46 AM, user70 said:

The Special Tourist Visa application requires some letter stating that my  criminal record  is clean:

Where can I get that? Are Police Clearance Letters from my local police department enough? ( e.g. https://www.sjpd.org/records/documents-policies or https://www.sanfranciscopolice.org/get-service/obtain-clearance-letter) Does it have to be a paper letter,  or can it be some PDF on my computer?

I live in the Bay Area in California, United States.

You sound confused.

Who told you there is a "special" visa?

There's no such visa on The Thai Embassy in LA's webpage:

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/

4 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

are people that desperate to spend a couple of days or weeks in Thailand?

The special tourist visa is for long stay, up to 270 days. But I 100% agree that the requirements are ridiculous. Good way to continue killing the tourist industry.

2 hours ago, iamwill2886 said:

The only real upset I see is confirming a place of residence before we even go considering we were hoping to find a place once there...

why not book cancellable hotel?

2 hours ago, iamwill2886 said:

Then do 'visa run' to maximize it to 270 days

Wouldn't the visa run get you 15 nice of quarantine each time you do it?

1 hour ago, user70 said:

The special tourist visa is for long stay, up to 270 days. But I 100% agree that the requirements are ridiculous. Good way to continue killing the tourist industry.

why not book cancellable hotel?

Wouldn't the visa run get you 15 nice of quarantine each time you do it?

I never thought about the cancellable hotel!  Good call and thank you for that.

As for the VISA run, I guess you are right.  I am ignorant to the entire visa experience, so I apologize.  Question however, if it can be extended (and I know it's not guaranteed) 2 more times (90 days each) for a total of 270 days that can be done without doing a visa run then correct?  Thank you for any help!

10 minutes ago, iamwill2886 said:

Question however, if it can be extended (and I know it's not guaranteed) 2 more times (90 days each) for a total of 270 days that can be done without doing a visa run then correct?  

That's my understanding as well.

• Like 1

I got an OA from the LA Consulate in late January and the requirement is for a Fingerprint based criminal background check. Has to be from a Federal or State level.  In the past a letter from a local law enforcement agency was acceptable.  There are two companies based in the US that can provide this type of service:  Fieldprint.com or Applicantservices.com.  I used the second company and total cost for an FBI fingerprint based criminal background check was $47 and in my case the results came back in two hours.  Then it is is just a matter of printing the background check with the FBI logo.  These companies are sometimes known as FBI Channelers.  

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Then it is is just a matter of printing the background check with the FBI logo. 

thanks!  https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/ says:

Online criminal record without an authorized signature is unacceptable

does Fieldprint.com or Applicantservices.com have some authorized signature ?

Edited by user70

5 minutes ago, user70 said:

does Fieldprint.com or Applicantservices.com have some authorized signature ?

No

They are just intermediaries that do the application for you and the certificate will be signed by the FBI or state that did it.

5 hours ago, user70 said:

Sorry I don't know what state police refers to in United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_police#United_States) Does going through the San Francisco Police Department qualify as state police?

You've been told by several where to go for proven online, quick and easy background checks including myself yet you continue with this. For my OA in Hollywood I used fieldprint.com.

4 hours ago, user70 said:

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/  points to the online application https://www.cognitoforms.com/RoyalThaiEmbassy1/VisaOnlineApplication which is for the entire United States

When you do the online application one of the first entries you do is the enter the state you are in. When submitted it will be directed to the Embassy in DC or one of the official consulates in NY, Chicago or LA designated for your the state are in.

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

The op said they are in California, not the DC area.  They should be applying for a visa from either LA or Portland, not DC. ????

Wrong info. The consulate in Portland is a honorary consulate and cannot do anything at this time.

The LA consulate is a official Thai consulate along with ones in New York and Chicago.

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

in los angeles it was the county sheriff. maybe same sf?

The embassy in DC and the 3 official consulates now state it has to be a FBI or a state criminal background check.

Not sure one from any local police or county sheriff's department would be accepted now.

On 2/8/2021 at 11:46 PM, user70 said:

The Special Tourist Visa application requires some letter stating that my  criminal record  is clean:

Where can I get that? Are Police Clearance Letters from my local police department enough? ( e.g. https://www.sjpd.org/records/documents-policies or https://www.sanfranciscopolice.org/get-service/obtain-clearance-letter) Does it have to be a paper letter,  or can it be some PDF on my computer?

I just went down to the Hall of Justice S.F. and got one it is a computer print out I had to pay a fee because it was long.

48 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I just went down to the Hall of Justice S.F. and got one it is a computer print out I had to pay a fee because it was long.

thanks, how much was it and does it contain some official signature? Today I went to the San Jose Police Department, but the record development was closed due to holiday ???? 

6.  Criminal record  
             – Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record
             – verification have to valid for not more than three months and
             – must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only.
             – Online criminal record without authorize signature is unacceptable 

This is from the LA Consulate website for the STV.  It clearly states State Police or FBI.  Also, this appears to be the same requirement as the OA Visa.  State Police and the FBI only accept fingerprints in order to conduct a criminal background check.  

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

This is from the LA Consulate website for the STV.  It clearly states State Police or FBI.  Also, this appears to be the same requirement as the OA Visa.  State Police and the FBI only accept fingerprints in order to conduct a criminal background check.  

Thanks, sorry I don't know what state police refers to in United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_police#United_States) Does going through the San Francisco Police Department qualify as state police?

Edited by user70
  • Haha 1

For Criminal Background purposes in the State of California one would go through the State Department of Justice in Sacramento.  The two mentioned companies that provide the background check services are thoroughly versed in the process.  One can contact the California DOJ directly for the criminal background check but this could take weeks.  You can go to this website:  oag..ca.gov.  OAG stands for Office of Attorney General.  

7 hours ago, user70 said:

thanks, how much was it and does it contain some official signature? Today I went to the San Jose Police Department, but the record development was closed due to holiday ???? 

It was some time ago,  I remember it wasn't much something like 10 USD,  not sure if it had a signature for sure it had heading SFPD and the police seal bottom might have had the current police chief?  Somewhere it did state the date that it was being requested.  Good luck.

On 2/8/2021 at 11:46 PM, user70 said:

Did you get a visa with a clearance letter for a local police station?