Fewer tourists entered Thailand in the last six months than would normally enter in a single day pre COVID-19

snoop1130

31 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Enfin, une comparaison qui fait vraiment ressortir l'ampleur de la baisse des arrivées étrangères, sans la tentative habituelle d'enrober les choses.

I prepare the overview of all years 2020 per month  

The financial balancing revenu report is not completed 

to many people do not read and talk to much without minimal reseach .... 

Not that TAT agency is not in charge of the data but only MOT ministery economic division issue all report supported by IN-OUT BIPCIS data base Immigration 

Edited by SPREX
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

nobody here, complain

too many people, complain

if had a meet-n-greet it would be 10 seconds before I hear, "the end of the world......"   

Even google translate can do better than that......what's it mean ????

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was 4 tourists a year before COVID, living here on my Non 'O' ME VISA.

Now I'm only 1 tourist on a 1 year extension of stay.

If they open up the borders, I could become 4 tourists again.

Not correct. Non-O visa holders are not counted as tourists by TAT.

Back when 40 million tourist arrived it would only have been a rounding error anyway as Non-O numbers are surprisingly small.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was 4 tourists a year before COVID, living here on my Non 'O' ME VISA.

Now I'm only 1 tourist on a 1 year extension of stay.

If they open up the borders, I could become 4 tourists again.

There were quite a few of us who went back and forth 4 times a year. It is why I had a Non Imm O-A visa, but because of Covid had to complete the extension of stay.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SPREX said:

I prepare the overview of all years 2020 per month  

The financial balancing revenu report is not completed 

to many people do not read and talk to much without minimal reseach .... 

Not that TAT agency is not in charge of the data but only MOT ministery economic division issue all report supported by IN-OUT BIPCIS data base Immigration 

That doesn't really make sense?????!!!

Again, 

Foreigners....not tourists, not residents, not men, women or children. 

As if that means anything anymore. 

Lets hide the real stats and just group everyone else as : "Them". Not us.....

How about all the international companies that are closing shop?  That many people ( Non Tourists) use a tourist Visa to accomplish meetings, sales promotions or counseling?

Are they a "Them" or men and women who are attempting to keep the world turning for everyone. Including S.E. Asia and Thailand? 

Get the facts and Stats accurate. If you wish the world to take stock in anything published by the Thai Government.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Those travelling to neighbouring countries, in transit, do not fill in anything for immigration so they are not included in the figures.

Bit, of cource, they have to come back to thailand for their return flight home. 
so a tourist visits angkor for a few days, comes back with 30 days free visa waiver and that way they can stay many months without proper visa. 
tourists do visa runs, as much as residents

22 minutes ago, internationalism said:
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Those travelling to neighbouring countries, in transit, do not fill in anything for immigration so they are not included in the figures.

Bit, of cource, they have to come back to thailand for their return flight home. 
so a tourist visits angkor for a few days, comes back with 30 days free visa waiver and that way they can stay many months without proper visa. 
tourists do visa runs, as much as residents

You appear to be very confused. You wrote earlier that tourist figures include those travelling to other countries. They do not. If, as you suggest, they enter Thailand after visiting Angkor, then they are included as arrivals. And tourists from most countries do not need a visa. And they most certainly cannot stay for many months without a proper visa. They are allowed a 30-day entry, and then need a proper visa or face arrest and deportation.

9 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Not surprise with those figures, with borders closed, and hoops to jump through to get a visa, plus the 14 days quarantine, tourists just won't come. 

But TAT comes up with these ridiculous estimates that they'll be 10 million visitors by the end of the year.  These people aren't too good at looking at the current situation that they themselves have created and then projecting that forward by 10 and a half months.  How are you going to get a million visitors a month in this restrictive climate?  They'd have to completely dismantle the wall of regulations that they have set up that has choked the life out of the tourism industry.  Bureaucracies are extremely efficient as setting up restrictive laws, but once in place, its a slow, painful process to unwind those restrictions if not impossible.  It's the power junkies dilemma.  The power to control other people like foreigners goes to their heads like an aphrodisiac.   Maybe they eventually relax some of the restrictions, but they'll keep a bunch too if not add additional ones. It's power man!  Once you've taken a big hit of power it's like a drug.  Those now addicted to power aren't willingly going to give it up.  They can't give it up. 
The New Normal in Thai tourism will be to flex their bureaucratic power muscles and show foreigners who's in charge if they try to enter Thailand while citing that all foreigners present an extreme risk to Thai national security now and for every more and all must be strictly controlled like never before in Thai history!  And in doing so they'll simply throttle the number of tourist arrival numbers indefinitely. All the while moaning and groaning about the good old days of tourism (that they destroyed), although they may praise each other and hand out awards and take photos and pat themselves on the back for now having a handful of "well-heeled" wealthy tourists who will provide about zilch to the tourist based economic that's been destroyed beyond decimation.

The bottom line: Are they going to roll back restriction and allow the tourism flows to resume this year?  I seriously doubt it.  They'll be lucky if a couple hundred thousand are extended the privilege to enter their beloved county for a price that most tourists will be unwilling to pay either monetarily and in acceptance of restrictions that simple make touring Thailand neither relaxing nor fun.
Normal tourists who seek to economize and have a hassle-free vacation and a fun time will seek out more accommodating countries who are open for tourism business.   Mai bpen rai.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Despite Thailand launching its Special Tourist Visa scheme and allowing foreigners to enter the country on 60 day tourist visas and visa exempt entries, it hasn’t been enough to tempt foreigners to visit the country in any significant numbers.

Make it a easier for us to enter , the 14 day quarantine is bad enough , without the rest of the unneeded  B/S  , that would take weeks for some people to sort out , just  do the Covid-19 test's , plus the 14 days quarantine , that's bad enough for most people. I want to come back like many others ,  but we just don't want to go through a mountain of book work to get there and of course we have the required health insurance for STV visa , which most older folks can't get because of age and past medical problems......Regards,,,,,Popa

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Intéressant!

MOT a essentiellement dit Fork et a arrêté d'enregistrer les données d'avril à septembre 2020. Ils ont même fait effondrer les cellules et les cacher dans leur document original.

MOT 2020 Arrivées article_20210125140437.xlsx 103,06 kB · 0 téléchargements

So please find out why the data is not implemented in the file that you present here is the data of the year of the MOT they will be implemented later there is nothing extraordinary

this is the cumul anual per Region  and openh filter per Province 

image.png.cb835e63cdb82f126bef52a7ef52a50c.png

image.png.d6eb9d6590a2d5e18784470932e5c24d.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Cela n'a pas vraiment de sens ????? !!!

What does not make sense is especially all these experts of thailand who write braucoup on this forum without really knowing the immense thai administration and carry incessant criticisms on thailand I always wonder why these good people remain in this country .......

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Il y a 1 heure, ExpatOilWorker a déclaré:

Intéressant!

MOT a essentiellement dit Fork et un arrêté d'enregistrer les données d'avril à septembre 2020. Ils ont même fait effondrer les cellules et les cacher dans leur document original.

MOT 2020 Arrivées article_20210125140437.xlsx 103,06 kB · 16 téléchargements

image.png.c3434571ca3bb8b2c6aa9eb7cb6bc572.png

image.png.d28cec3464a145134003a4ac79efbb77.png

Report per month available   here december in-Out PIBCIS image.png.640f6caa715d85792c38072fc0721b20.png

Edited by SPREX
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

To be accurate here, this is not true. It is not Covid.

It is the government's response, closing of borders or 14 day 'pay yourself into a 5* hotel' is the reason that there are so few tourists/foreigners.

Many foreigners have family, jobs, retirement homes here. They could and would quarantine at home. The government has killed the goose.

Friends of mine have quarantined themselves at home where they live.

They calculated that it would cost them 7,000 GBP (280,000 THB?) to get here and then stay in their home as they would self quarantine again. (They have been coming here for more than 20 years. Four months every year.)

I am not saying that the government is right or wrong. Just saying that what is printed is NOT the reason.

This government has said for a long time now that it wants 'quality tourists'. Well this is the result.

Just over 11,000 - per month.

Thank you. - At least one making it clear:

No matter, if in our home countries or Thailand,

it’s the governments setting the rules,

why tourism suffers, businesses go bankrupt, poverty is rising and globally ~12,000 people (daily!) die additionally from starvation.

And all that using lockdowns first practiced in Wuhan, as if we still were in the middle ages, fighting the Plague.

I could somewhat understand that in March/April 2019.

However, they still base they regulations on weak data combined with weak statistical analysis and mostly even reacting contrary to the scientific knowledge, we have available nowadays.

It seems, unfortunately we elected a bunch of Global Hypochonders ????

Edited by BernieOnTour
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SPREX said:

What does not make sense is especially all these experts of thailand who write braucoup on this forum without really knowing the immense thai administration and carry incessant criticisms on thailand I always wonder why these good people remain in this country .......

I left Thailand 2 year ago, but not because I didn't like it. Also, I've never made "incessant criticisms" of Thailand. (I'm not one of the rose-tinted glasses guys either).

23 minutes ago, Robin said:

I cannot see that any 'real' tourist would be prepared to pay and do what I had to do to get back to Thailand.

When will TAT wake up to this, and stop pretending that the world is full of people who cannot wait to visit Thailand, and will pay/suffer anything to visit.

How very true,  I can remember the early days when it was so easy to even get a 3 month  visa and  even feel welcomed . It's just got harder and harder to enter, every year since 2014 , in particular if you are entering more than 2 times and extended  your tourist visa, in one year into Thailand  .....Regards,,,,Popa

If it wasn't so hard to get in right now, I would be there today!! I'd love to travel throughout Thailand with mainly Thai people only. Sounds like a dream come true. Lessen the quarantine to 10 days and make the paperwork such less of a headache - 10 days quarantine, negative covid test to board the plane, 2 covid tests while in Thailand. All the other paperwork makes it so damn hard to get into Thailand. I know you government thinks paperwork is good, but paperowrk is what keeps people from doing a lot of the things they would normally do. NORMAL PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE PAPERWORK. THE MORE PAPERWORK WE DO, THE LESS CHANCE WE WILL COME THERE. You ask for negative covid test and a health declaration only, I guarantee a lot more people would come to Thailand. It is like you try to make it impossible to come to Thailand now and I do not even mean because of the quarantine. I mean all the paperwork makes it impossible to come to Thailand

• Like 1

Hey government, when you say you want quality tourists, then you make sure that tourists have to do things so that those people are quality tourists, these are the type of tourists you get. I love Thailand, but it is not a quality tourist spot like in a high income country like Norway or Iceland. The whole atmosphere, like the entertainment industry is created around and caters to all types of tourists - high end tourists, middle end tourists and low end tourists. Sorry, you can't have it both way. You want high quality tourists, this is what you get, about 5% of your GDP will come from tourists

31 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Hey government, when you say you want quality tourists, then you make sure that tourists have to do things so that those people are quality tourists, these are the type of tourists you get. I love Thailand, but it is not a quality tourist spot like in a high income country like Norway or Iceland. The whole atmosphere, like the entertainment industry is created around and caters to all types of tourists - high end tourists, middle end tourists and low end tourists. Sorry, you can't have it both way. You want high quality tourists, this is what you get, about 5% of your GDP will come from tourists

Actually, I think Thailand had its fair share of quality (meaning: high income ) tourists before...

Expensive pool villas and (real) 5 star hotels are abundant in some tourist spots in Thailand.

However, it’s also obvious, you can’t achieve 39 million tourists with this tiny percentage of the global population.

Some smaller countries, eg. Seychelles, Maldives achieve more than 65% of their GDP with tourism. But for what price? The tourism was built up artificially and is totally in the hands of foreign hospitality investors, the locals get only the bread crumbs falling from the table ...

Thailand being far bigger, having evolved over dozens of years with a lot of different business sizes has a totally different structure. The drive for „quality tourists“ is coming from the big players, not from the smaller, family owned businesses.

Unfortunately, I am afraid, all these travel restrictions, because of Covid, will finally lead to a monoculture Seychelles style. Concentration on the big players, driving the smaller ones out of business.

And that will be accompanied by reducing the numbers of us „average“ travellers with higher prices, more restrictions and „saving the climate“ ...

Edited by BernieOnTour

I would like to see a breakdown of the numbers between Tourist, Business, Health, Retirees, and Marriage.

Here at Cha-Am I know 5 expats who have returned and been through quarantine. 4 are long-stayers who own or lease property and only 1 could be described as a Tourist (a retiree who preferred to stay in Thailand rather than the UK).

• Like 1

Its becoming a matter of fact.

Many countries are now introducing travel bans.........as in.......you cannot leave.  Australia style.

UK soon will require an on line declaration to be filled in of why you need to travel, which will be checked at check in.  Freedom of movement is being clamped down on.

So even if Thailand makes any changes for entry, soon nobody will be allowed to travel in anyway.

• Like 2