Poll finds 47% of Americans favor Trump conviction in impeachment trial

webfact

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

Now if Trump had done nothing when he saw the Capitol being invaded by rioters that would have been impeachable. But his prompt action put a quick halt to that. And his brave reproach of said rioters with "Go home, we love you" will resonate with freedom loving peoples as long as the American republic survives.

It was hardly what one would call prompt considering the situation.

Telling rioters "go home we love you", we love the fact that you have invaded the building and they carrying ropes, making gallows, carrying cable ties chanting "hang Pence"?? He and his cohorts were wathcing it on large sets in marquees, so he was well aware what was happening.

Do some fact checking first before posting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

IIRC correctly, it was the Electoral College that voted in his favour to become POTUS. He actually lost the election vote to Hilary Clinton.

In 2020 he lost both the popular and the EC votes.

Correct, but I thought all persons knew that.

• Like 1

Quote of the day from the senate hearings. 
Congressman Ted Lieu :

"I'm not afraid of Donald Trump running again in four years. I'm afraid he's going to run again and lose — because he can do this again."

What's going to stop him from doing it again and why wouldn't he, if he knew it would only cost him (or anyone else) nothing more than an apology and a grin to try it again.

Want to marry your dog or your new robot? Forget the law, just head over to Washington and Storm the capital  building free of charge.

( Airfare and hotel fees are not included)

Doing nothing except "waiting until the next time" would be a serious tactical error.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Rhodes_(1444)  failed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Rhodes_(1522)  succeeded

The siege of Rhodes took a few tries until they finally got it right because no one got the bright idea to attack the attackers instead of waiting for them to come back again....

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Correct, but I thought all persons knew that.

That is true, but many millions of US citizens, (not to mention some posters on TVF), have great difficulty in accepting that. All they seem to want to do is ignore, deflect and/or deny the truth as it doesn't agree with their beliefs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That is true, but many millions of US citizens, (not to mention some posters on TVF), have great difficulty in accepting that. All they seem to want to do is ignore, deflect and/or deny the truth as it doesn't agree with their beliefs.

Denial is a wonderful river to travel down until you arrive at Reality, where you feel dissapointed you had purchased the ticket to ride. You feel conned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

Republicans have their own set of facts!  Unfortunately they are highly resistant to change.  I know several prominent attorneys that justify everything Trump did!  After all, Hillary was going to eliminate democracy and institute Communism in the USA!

Unfortunately that is disturbingly common.  There are some educated people that you assume are intelligent who believe conspiracy theories and are devoted members of a cult of personality.

I accepted long ago that many people find it much easier to be loyal to a personality than to ideals, constitutions, institutions, or other concepts.  However I am totally baffled as to how anyone can find Trump's personality appealing.

• Like 2

It has come out the former president was informed that VP Pence was in danger while the terrorist attack was happening. Minutes later the former president sent a tweet attacking Pence for disobeying his illegal command.

"Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution," a 2:24 p.m. tweet read.

Not only did he NOT do anything, his actions are a documented attack on the VP.

And you defend this monster?!?

Donald Trump Tweeted Attack on Mike Pence Minutes After Hearing VP Was Fleeing Capitol Rioters (newsweek.com)

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2021 at 4:47 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Well Teflon DJT escapes conviction in spineless Senate

Be interesting to see what the State prosecutors do now.

New oxymoron : USA Senate and justice

Criminal indictments from one or multiple jurisdictions are probably MORE likely now fueled by the majority public sentiment that Mr. trump has unfairly evaded consequences for pretty much everything over the course of his life, climaxing in his second impeachment acquittal for inciting insurrection, which he's obviously guilty of. Now if he was convicted by the senate, it might be thought, well he's finally been made to face the music, he would have been banned from politics, and possibly reduced the chances of pursuing him on many other charges. I think it's fair to assume Mr. trump is sweating in his golf pants, because he knows more than anyone that he is totally EXPOSED now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Impeachment has come and gone. I am amongst the ones who are hoping they are able to break predlcedent, and find a way to convict him, for what is likely a countless number of felonies this man has committed. Tax fraud should be fairly easy to prove. They must turn Wasserman. Lock him up! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

The haters will hate, no matter how biased the piece is. Their irrational hatred of Trump, together with their self-righteous judgement, cause them to get an erection when they read anything anti-Trump.

Controversial issues and politicians can elicit strong reactions from voters, and the phrasing of questions is crucial to how they answer. Part of the challenge, professionals understand, is how a poll question is framed, and any facts or names included in it can often determine the way people respond.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-backstory-poll/getting-the-questions-right-in-polling-idUKKBN1781VQ?edition-redirect=uk

On 2/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, Jingthing said:

Mr. trump

Come on, is that really necessary? It is Mr. President or ex-President Trump. 

This illustrates how the trial is unfair when there is so much resentment against a man who beat their beloved squeaky-clean Hillary a few years ago. Get  rid of your resentment and have a happy life in Pattaya. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The haters will hate, no matter how biased the piece is. Their irrational hatred of Trump, together with their self-righteous judgement, cause them to get an erection when they read anything anti-Trump.

Controversial issues and politicians can elicit strong reactions from voters, and the phrasing of questions is crucial to how they answer. Part of the challenge, professionals understand, is how a poll question is framed, and any facts or names included in it can often determine the way people respond.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-backstory-poll/getting-the-questions-right-in-polling-idUKKBN1781VQ?edition-redirect=uk

"....irrational hatred of Trump..."

Considering all the vile stuff trump has said and done I would say it's irrational not to hate him.

"...self-righteous judgement...."

Judging an admitted p***Y grabber, a person that taunts handicapped, war heroes, war dead, a.....I could go on and one....is not self-righteous, it's righteous.

Come on, is that really necessary? It is Mr. President or ex-President Trump. 

This illustrates how the trial is unfair when there is so much resentment against a man who beat their beloved squeaky-clean Hillary a few years ago. Get  rid of your resentment and have a happy life in Pattaya. 

"Come on, is that really necessary? It is Mr. President or ex-President Trump."

It is whatever the poster wants it to be, as long as forum rules are followed. Personally I prefer "soon-to-be-convict trump" myself.

So why haven't they done anything?

Who told you they haven't done anything??

TRUMP’S ODDS OF GETTING AWAY WITH TAX FRAUD JUST TOOK A NOSEDIVE

"Weeks after the Supreme Court rejected Trump’s bid to keep his tax returns out of the hands of the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office—a turn of events he reacted to like a man who knows prison is in his future—the D.A. has expanded its criminal investigation of potential insurance, bank, and tax fraud outside of New York City. On Monday, CNN reported that Cy Vance’s office has subpoenaed documents from Fortress Investment Management, which loaned the Trump Organization $130 million to build his Chicago tower and then, seven years later, forgave a cool $102 million of that debt. While Trump ended up getting a sweet deal not having to repay a huge chunk of money, investigators are reportedly interested to know if he paid taxes on the forgiven amount, as required by the IRS."

Trump’s taxes: Why they matter to a criminal probe

Prosecutors just got millions of pages of Trump documents. His taxes are only the beginning.

Fortune.com: Investigators already have Trump’s tax records, as outgoing president faces losing legal protections

"

2 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

"Come on, is that really necessary? It is Mr. President or ex-President Trump."

It is whatever the poster wants it to be, as long as forum rules are followed. Personally I prefer "soon-to-be-convict trump" myself.

I prefer Trump, the loser, liar and cheat! ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So why haven't they done anything?

It appears Vance is working on it. It is a process. Frankly, I would be surprised to see an ex-president charged and convicted in America. It is a very corrupt nation at that level, and tends to protect its own. However, the big mistake Trump made was in alienating and pissing off so many people. That is just his style. That is how he rolls. That is all he is. All he knows is how to be a sledgehammer. Not much finesse in his game. 

Having said all that, I remain hopeful that past precedent can be broken and that he will enjoy the comfort and "deep friendships", that he will establish in a prison.

He most certainly deserves that fate, after a lifetime of theft, crime, fraud and deceit. 

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Having said all that, I remain hopeful that past precedent can be broken and that he will enjoy the comfort and "deep friendships", that he will establish in a prison.

I agree but not very fair if all other presidents escape their crimes but Trump doesn't. Bush comes to mind and sadly a lot worse than tax evasion. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I agree but not very fair if all other presidents escape their crimes but Trump doesn't. Bush comes to mind and sadly a lot worse than tax evasion. 

These are for crimes whilst not in office. Cohen has been called in for the 7th time.

Trump is nearing being charged. 

8 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

so the majority got what they wanted.

Methinks you need to research the definition of majority. Or find a better source for your news.  LOL.

Another 40%, including about seven in 10 Republicans and about two in 10 Democrats, said Trump should not be convicted, and 13% of respondents said they were “not sure” about conviction.