Noise noise noise help help help

Somtamnication

We moved to a shophouse where the bedroom faces the main street. Enough said!!!

I have tried the large square foam (labeled noise cancelling) from homepro and baan &, with supposedly noise reducing foam (so a double layer). Nothing. The room has 3 windows and a balcony door. All filled with these stuff. Nothing.

I am not an acoustic guy, but do I need to cover the walls as well? We tried egg cartons, too.

Short of building a layer of the insulating foam used on ceilings and then adding another wall layer, I am at a loss. 

Any ideas?

LOL. I hear all of you. 

20 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

How much money do you want to throw at the problem ?

Alluminium frame and double glaze a partition right across in front of it. (Like patio doors) Job done 15k.(about). ???? relatively easy to dismantle if you move again too. Just a suggestion.

Indeed.  The about 15k sounds interesting.  Leads? Tks.

If you have no floor coverings that will intensify the sound.

I haven't tried it, but we have no floor coverings and just the sound of talk is amplified.

This may help, although you would have to work out how big of an area you have and whether it's feasible.

Alternatively the second link, as I recall I entered a house on a main road years ago and had to ask why it was quiet and the lady who lived there showed me two devices, one on the front window and one on the door, they were similar to the product in the 2nd link and probably more aesthetically pleasing than in the 1st link.

More research though would be needed of course.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/osman-sound-deadener-mat-insulation-cotton-deadening-noise-acoustic-dampening-foam-i1321258404-s3282044417.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!3282044417!129607887&gclid=Cj0KCQiApY6BBhCsARIsAOI_GjbnM8xo49WIJFNn1X2vOK8cA6g-x2EoFx_m_GPkEvYapX4tojBd8AgaAo_AEALw_wcB

Link number 2: http://www.droold.com/sound-proof-any-space-with-this-tiny-gadget/#:~:text=Well%2C sounds like you could,you're good to go.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Indeed the first attack, imho, would be a second glass pane in front of the existing one. don't forget also to cover teh balcony door.

For best sound insulation, take care for a large space in between the window panes and also make the tickness of glass of the new pane different from the existing one; the will prevent the same resonance frequency on both panes, a glass pane on its resonance frequency will not dampen the sound but allow it to be transmitted, if both panes are different thickness glass ,say 4 and 5 mm thick, the noise reduction is larger. Also take care no ventilation openeing in the wall towards the noisy street, unless you need to make a difficutl additiona sound proof ventilation box.

Inside the room, you will have to add materials that absorb the sound , you may think on a carpet on the floor , curtains or sound absorbing materials againsta walls, ceilng and floor,it is to dampen teh echoing of sound inside a hard walled room, echo chamber.

If that all not helps enough, you better move to a quieter surrounding.

Did work 10 yrs in industrial noise abatement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Get in the spirit of things, channel your inner Thainess and stick a sound system with 10KW sub-woofer on your balcony, then let her rip!

I highly endorse this suggestion.  Especially if you happen to be a metal-head!  ????

• Haha 1

I live in a 2-storey house on 2.4M high concrete columns and it's quite noisey when local dogs are sounding off, which is practically all hours of the day and night. Also, when someone's playing bass-heavy music. I recently built a room  downstairs for the daughter under the main bedroom, and from there I don't hear a peep. If she ever moves out, I'll be grabbing it for my study. If I could afford it, I'd block in the whole downstairs.

38 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I live in a quiet rural type setting, but still need ear plugs on the occasions when the frogs, toads, lizards and birds start their noise.  It can be quite deafening sometimes. 

I am that far that I can't sleep without earplugs anymore even if it is completely quiet. Important is to try many different versions to find out the one that you like most. I have some made of a kind of rubber. Block perfectly and hold forever. Foam versions for instance I did not like and they don't block good enough - not good enough for Pattaya... 

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

We moved to a shophouse where the bedroom faces the main street. Enough said!!!

I have tried the large square foam (labeled noise cancelling) from homepro and baan &, with supposedly noise reducing foam (so a double layer). Nothing. The room has 3 windows and a balcony door. All filled with these stuff. Nothing.

I am not an acoustic guy, but do I need to cover the walls as well? We tried egg cartons, too.

Short of building a layer of the insulating foam used on ceilings and then adding another wall layer, I am at a loss. 

Any ideas?

Double glaze all the windows. Single pane glass windows let in almost all sound. Prefabricated smooth (looks paints and feels like normal plaster boarding) but very high sound insulation panelling comes from a range of manufacturers. Easy to install to existing walls. Try Hardie Products, and CSR available in Thailand.

• Like 1

Call an architect to sound proof, call police, move, take drugs, pay for street closure, tolerate, suicide, pray, wear an amulet, remove ear drums, buy Bose noise canceling headsets, learn to enjoy it, etc, etc..several options pick one.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Double glaze all the windows. Single pane glass windows let in almost all sound. Prefabricated smooth (looks paints and feels like normal plaster boarding) but very high sound insulation panelling comes from a range of manufacturers. Easy to install to existing walls. Try Hardie Products, and CSR available in Thailand.

Double glazing alone will not change much. Noise cancellation / reduction with windows is a science. You need to have panes of different thickness with a minimum distance apart. You can fill heavy gas between the panes. But in the end it depends on the frequency of the sound. Deep frequencies are very hard and expensive to block. I have special double windows with more than 2 cm glass thickness in total. But when it comes to deep noisy bass frequencies this is not enough. 

• Like 1