Buying House in Phuket

Neeranam

I'm thinking of buying a house in Phuket.

Can anyone recommend the first place to look, either websites or forums, no agents please?

My youngest is going into Matayom 3 and I will want a good school.

I would want very near the beach and preferably with a swimming pool. 

Im actually in the exact same situation due to wanting to be near good schools and the beach, and from what I see its hard to find anything without an agent. Other than the above noted websites, facebook marketplace seems to be where most people list their homes, including agents. I dont even have facebook profile, I just have a dummy, throwaway account so I can view stuff. 

A house near the beach with a pool is gonna cost.... Alot. 6-7-8 million baht on the low end. 

Im gonna move down there and rent for the first year while I look for something to buy. Theres good rental deals to be had at the moment due to covid wrecking the local economy. 

You could get into a condo at the moment for around 2 million but it'll be a small 1 bedroom unit. 

Im looking in the Rawai area. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Im actually in the exact same situation due to wanting to be near good schools and the beach, and from what I see its hard to find anything without an agent. Other than the above noted websites, facebook marketplace seems to be where most people list their homes, including agents. I dont even have facebook profile, I just have a dummy, throwaway account so I can view stuff. 

A house near the beach with a pool is gonna cost.... Alot. 6-7-8 million baht on the low end. 

Im gonna move down there and rent for the first year while I look for something to buy. Theres good rental deals to be had at the moment due to covid wrecking the local economy. 

You could get into a condo at the moment for around 2 million but it'll be a small 1 bedroom unit. 

Im looking in the Rawai area. 

Thanks. I think i'm going to have to go down there and look around for a week or two.

Do you think on Phuket is better than the Krabi, mainland area, and if so why?

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks. I think i'm going to have to go down there and look around for a week or two.

Do you think on Phuket is better than the Krabi, mainland area, and if so why?

Krabi is nice too, but for me Phuket is better as they have more international schools, more western stuff, better (IMO) beaches, top international hospitals, and the most important thing is an international airport. I travel alot and eventually one day covid will be over and it would allow me to fly direct to phuket and be within an hour of an international airport. 

Ive been to phuket 3 times in the last few months and its basically completely dead except for some small expat areas in Rawai and kamala. 

In Rawai you can get a condo short term for around 500 baht a day plus electric and water (electric at 6 baht per unit) 

I can put you in touch with this Russian lady I rent from when I go down there if you want. When I fly in ill have her arrange everything, motorbike, room, airport transport etc. Condos are cheaper and better than hotels at the moment. Let me know and ill send you a PM

• Like 1

We have a brand new condo in a hotel modern hotel complex for sale. never lived in it. It's got several swimming pools and a private beach.  Only one bedroom, do probably not good if you have children, but someone might be interested. 

PM me if you want more details. We are only selling it as we are going back to live in Ireland and don't want the bother to rent it out here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

We have a brand new condo in a hotel modern hotel complex for sale. never lived in it. It's got several swimming pools and a private beach.  Only one bedroom, do probably not good if you have children, but someone might be interested. 

PM me if you want more details. We are only selling it as we are going back to live in Ireland and don't want the bother to rent it out here.

What area is it in?

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Might consider renting, rents are cheaper in some places now and you never know who may move in next door or what new building is built nearby after you live somewhere.  Renting you can move away fairly easily, buying much tougher.

That is usually my thought process regarding Thailand, but phuket house rentals in beach areas that are half decent are on the pricy side. A decent 2 bed house in a beach area would be around 15k to 20k per month, and in my view thats getting extremely close to what a mortgage payment would be. Would make sense to get a mortguage at that price point, but it is a hell of a commitment. Renting does allow freedom to leave any time. 

17 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Why do you not want an agent?

Over the 29 years I've lived here, I've only had and heard negative things about foreign property agents. I'd be happy to work with a Thai one. However, there are probably few here. 

Edited by Neeranam

Property in Phuket is vastly over-priced. Unless you are planning on living here permanently I suggest you rent- resales are very few and far between here (despite what real estate agents will tell you). Best option anyway is to look at a site like some of the property ones on facebook- just bung phuket property into the search bit. there's plenty of private sellers and renters on there at  prsent- just make sure you make a good contract.

Equally rent a place for a couple of months and drive around looking at places to settle more permanently. If you buy you are tied to a place with little chance of selling if you don't like the place or circumstances (new construction nearby, neighbours, etc don't agree with you) renting gives you the option of moving on.

It would be useful if you had said what area you were considering as well- for schools without longer commutes you are looking at Kathu or Rawai as opposed to some of the West Coast towns. On the other hand there is a Kajonkiet school just outside Cherng Talay which would suit someone in Kamala/Surin/Bang Tao, etc. Further north there is a UWC school next to Thanyapura north of thalang

Edit: I don't use an agent, I deal directly with my landlord but do know a reliable guy who could assist if you PM me.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Over the 29 years I've lived here, I've only had and heard negative things about foreign property agents. I'd be happy to work with a Thai one. However, there are probably few here. 

Phuket is like a different country to the rest of Thailand. A very large western presence makes it different to do business in. 

58 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

This is entirely unhelpful and probably not even needed to be said. 

However I completely agree with the sentiment 

Of course you agree! A real estate guy that say´s no to customers. Best business plan ever.

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason
  • Haha 1

There are many houses which are not listed on property websites nor facebook. I suggest booking a hotel for 2+ weeks and driving around the island, turning into every small soi to look for "rent/sale" signs.

But note that there also are many houses for rent/sale without such signs but advertised privately via friends-agents, so you should contact some Thai agents too.

• Like 2

Phuket has some great international schools, bi lingual schools and thai schools that offer an english medium.  Unfortunately none are near the beach>  250,000-800,000 /year depending on age and school

So ur either going to buy a less expensive house in Thalang, Kathu or Chun chan lagoon cause its closer to the school

or a more expensive one in  Beach town and drive or use the schools bus.

I have built 2 homes here ( both in Kamala) and sold both on my own,  listed with all the agents ( gave me zero leads)  and sold by the sign at the end of the road.  I put up with the 30-40 minute drive to BIS for my daughter cause i wanted to live near the beach.

so my suggestion, come down and rent for 3 months (  2 bedroom homes/condos in most beach places 15-30,000, less if in Kathu, Thalang  (add 10,000 if its a pool villa) and get a feel for where you wish to live and how far ur willing to drive.

Nice 3 bedroom pool villa in kamala 6-8 million min.  Chalong, rawi , Kathu cheaper,
Laguna double

condos are less but than.,.. there condos..

Just drive around for rentals and sales as 90% advertise on the gate, no reason to get an agent but it really helps if u or ur other half is thai...

as u can see by comments, avoid agents for the most part.,,,,,They aren't really needed here.

Ownership is nice but it does require work...

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

This is entirely unhelpful and probably not even needed to be said. 

However I completely agree with the sentiment 

Feelings mutual on ALL said...This place is like Mad Mx in the Thunder dome....totally brutal.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Why, I could get a mortgage and pay that monthly. 

Not the most stable of countries to be buying in, economically or politically......can you sell up if there is an unexpected need to (at a substantial loss)?.......What happens if you end up with the ßhitiest neighbours ever (dogs, loud music)  or next a party BNB house? House build quality and maintenance all on your shoulders.....of course this is only my opinion....and I am guilty of coming perilously close to buying half a dozen times....

• Thanks 1

I suggest;

1. First rent in area where you want to buy. Many deals can be found out within local community  and you can really learn about  area if there are problems with water supply, sewage, electricity, crime etc.

2. If you have young children, you want to be in area where there are other kids of similar background. This way the kids can walk to friends house or stay in area. One of my work friends had a magnificent home but far away from other kids and he discovered that kids driving motorbike to get around can result in near tragedy.

3. Beach proximity is not that special if you are bothered by traffic, service pricing  and crime. Yes, close to beach is good, but  too close makes you more likely to have storm surge damage and flooding.

4. I think Phuket much better than krabi because of access to services and more people. 

Phuket big and varied so  many options. Too many to decide without spending time on island and visiting each district. One place you can avoid will be tourist zone from Karon  to Kamala and Rawai.

• Thanks 1