Buying House in Phuket

Neeranam

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

What a condescending reply- no wonder I have you on ignore. Just happened to see the comment when logged off. Nothing preachy about it and some of us who are anti-buy have been here nearly 2 decades. Just because the Op has been in Thailand for 29 years does not mean he is familiar with the vagaries of Phuket property.  I know plenty of people who have been burned in the property market here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't YOU leave Phuket after years of denigrating the place as a 'know-it-all'?

OldCroc has never been denigrating Phuket.

• Like 1

On the buy/rent debate, as I've stated one shoe doesn't fit all.

Some people, I'm one, can't abide the thought of renting for the long term. I did it it my early life for pecuniary reasons and for my first 18 months in Phuket because people on this forum strongly advised me to. 

I've always hated living in someone else's house and the problems that can create. I then decided to buy, not for investment purposes - the days of big real estate profits are gone in Phuket for the average person. Karen Bravo gives sound advice.

I bought a house because I like living in my own place and don't like seeing rental money disappear for ever. Money spent to buy a house is generally still there when sold.

I bought my place (and incidentally my 800k visa money) with funds transferred in at a rate of 32.36 baht. I could sell at cost now and repatriate that money at today's exchange rate for a profit of  approximately 30%. I wouldn't have transferred that amount of money and achieved that rate, if I weren't buying.

The advice to rent only is probably good advice for some dufus from Toowoomba who on his first trip to Thailand fell in love with a bar girl and decided to buy her a house.

But, to chant the same mantra to a founding member of this forum who is also a Thai citizen is condescending in the extreme.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

On the buy/rent debate, as I've stated one shoe doesn't fit all.

Some people, I'm one, can't abide the thought of renting for the long term. I did it it my early life for pecuniary reasons and for my first 18 months in Phuket because people on this forum strongly advised me to. 

I've always hated living in someone else's house and the problems that can create. I then decided to buy, not for investment purposes - the days of big real estate profits are gone in Phuket for the average person. Karen Bravo gives sound advice.

I bought a house because I like living in my own place and don't like seeing rental money disappear for ever. Money spent to buy a house is generally still there when sold.

I bought my place (and incidentally my 800k visa money) with funds transferred in at a rate of 32.36 baht. I could sell at cost now and repatriate that money at today's exchange rate for a profit of  approximately 30%. I wouldn't have transferred that amount of money and achieved that rate, if I weren't buying.

The advice to rent only is probably good advice for some dufus from Toowoomba who on his first trip to Thailand fell in love with a bar girl and decided to buy her a house.

But, to chant the same mantra to a founding member of this forum who is also a Thai citizen is condescending in the extreme.

My thoughts exactly. Never rented a home, only hotel room. Fixed my self up with a 30 year lease on an existing and furnished home in 7 days  of arrival. Once established bought land (in Thai name), built rental homes, formed a Thai company (to protect my investment). Sold the lease place for a small profit after 3 years live there. Never regret any of it. Just depends on your life plan. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gunderhill said:

And  just so  you  know "anyone" who  offers  to  help you  will be  taking a  cut  of  that sale, that  will be from the security  guard  to the maid  to ANYONE who has absolutely the tiniest input into the sale. 

That's a plus tho right.............those invariably local people on the ground are often so in 'the know' and can save you fortunes..a little drink here and a tickle there can be money well worth spending or including in any commissions along the way..if only it was so easy to get insider info like this so cheaply and readily available in the West................

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, Neeranam said:

Do you think on Phuket is better than the Krabi,

Not much of a beach here, but CM is far better than either... it is the Lanna culture combined with the granola crunchiness of the expat/backpacker more health conscious crowd... and you can fly to the beach for that relaxing beach vacation... which I find much better outside of Phuket... have you considered this area? 

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Not much of a beach here, but CM is far better than either... it is the Lanna culture combined with the granola crunchiness of the expat/backpacker more health conscious crowd... and you can fly to the beach for that relaxing beach vacation... which I find much better outside of Phuket... have you considered this area? 

No, I haven't considered Chiang Mai, I want  a beach! I have been looking at a piece of land right on the beach in Chantaburi. 3 rai for 2 million baht. Also, some land on Koh Mak, my favourite island in the east, 2 million/rai, o2 4 million with a beach. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, I haven't considered Chiang Mai, I want  a beach! I have been looking at a piece of land right on the beach in Chantaburi. 3 rai for 2 million baht. Also, some land on Koh Mak, my favourite island in the east, 2 million/rai, o2 4 million with a beach. 

That's reasonable... I love to be on the beach too... but it never seems to work that way for me... I can and should vacation more... but i do love living here too, outside of CM by 28 km and my kid goes to a good school in town... I am actually creeped out by Phuket... and this is not normal for me... a very deep inexplicable unsettled uneasiness as soon as I get near Patong... ?? Almost as if something awful happened to me there in another life... but also, it does not feel like Thailand to me - - and I need to be in Thailand... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

That's reasonable... I love to be on the beach too... but it never seems to work that way for me... I can and should vacation more... but i do love living here too, outside of CM by 28 km and my kid goes to a good school in town... I am actually creeped out by Phuket... and this is not normal for me... a very deep inexplicable unsettled uneasiness as soon as I get near Patong... ?? Almost as if something awful happened to me there in another life... but also, it does not feel like Thailand to me - - and I need to be in Thailand... 

Fair enough, I can understand that. I get the same feeling in Pattaya.

I have lived in Isarn for 17 years, had enough of 'Thailand' ???? 

I'd like to spend my time between Bangkok(where I lived for 10 years) and the beach. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Fair enough, I can understand that. I get the same feeling in Pattaya.

I have lived in Isarn for 17 years, had enough of 'Thailand' ???? 

I'd like to spend my time between Bangkok(where I lived for 10 years) and the beach. 

how about Prachuap? Near enough to Hua Hin for some civilization, hospitals and malls... etc... and I assume still relatively quiet? Maybe you need to be just past where Bkk weekenders will venture.  

I lived in Cha'am way back, many years ago.. I was last there about 8 years ago and it was a mess of a traffic jam and lost its quaint flavor... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

Perhaps he just wanted to justify the value the information that he was providing as so many posters here usually can't.

Yeah! I know. Same as when I try to deliver undisputable facts, in some other threads today. With links to governmental authorities and international agencies. The ones I reply to are still in denial. It´s horrible!

And also, perhaps he already explained that himself. Something you would have known if you just didn´t focus on one post.

• Sad 1

Numerous posts commenting on Moderation have been removed.

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting a negative emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

2 hours ago, Matreusse said:

Perhaps he just wanted to justify the value the information that he was providing as so many posters here usually can't.

Maybe, but in that case a comment like this "I am just not interested in selling or renting anything to anyone here for obvious reasons. : is just provoking.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

how about Prachuap? Near enough to Hua Hin for some civilization, hospitals and malls... etc... and I assume still relatively quiet? Maybe you need to be just past where Bkk weekenders will venture.  

I lived in Cha'am way back, many years ago.. I was last there about 8 years ago and it was a mess of a traffic jam and lost its quaint flavor... 

The sea is not as clear there, and too many jellyfish. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Many people living on Phuket don't like patong, but are still enjoying living on Phuket.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sundown said:

It all comes down to where your son is going to school. You don't want to buy a house in Rawai and have to drive everyday to BIS or Headstart back and forth. That would take in total 3 precious hours of your day, maybe more.

I've been to Phuket loadsa times, but not recently in the last 8 years or so. I even owned a property there for a brief period early noughties and I never really considered that it would take so long to commute on the island.....your post really puts it into perspective for a parent considering education............great info.............

On 2/14/2021 at 2:33 PM, Neeranam said:

The one problem in Koh Mak was Hoi Men, not sure the English word.

Hoi Men, actually there could be two translations, one is sea urchin,. The other is slang, which some readers may find offensive . Maybe Men Thale  (เม่นทะเล) would be a more appropriate Thai word. Actually box jellyfish seem to be endemic there too.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, Sundown said:

It all comes down to where your son is going to school. You don't want to buy a house in Rawai and have to drive everyday to BIS or Headstart back and forth. That would take in total 3 precious hours of your day, maybe more.

There are such things as school buses and car pooling so you can ignore this comment. Driving times to Headstart are much lower than suggested here but BIS is almost twice the distance so this could be realistic during "normal" times.

• Like 1