Non O Immigrant Visa for Pensioner in Receipt of the U.K. State Pension.

I am currently in the U.K., I want to apply for the visa in the subject to obtain a COE, I have been trying to access the London Embassy website but can’t find the section which applies to this type of visa. I have contacted the embassy and they have said it is still available.

Can I complete an application form send my Passport with the fee plus postage to the embassy ?

I have previously had a Non O albeit it was a 12 month multi entry but now only a 90 Day Single Entry.is available.

I believe the problem may be one of the two insurance covers required. the Covid cover one $100000 cover apparently is possible. But potentially unobtainable depending on your age, that is the 40k/400k which may or may not provide cover, which may or may not have a clause stating you have to have been in Thailand for 6 months in 12 for it to be effective(if from an embassy linked Thai Insurer). In addition to the other complications, and we are not allowed to travel currently in the UK, unless you have a good reason, which no one has an exact definition of...

(Dad and I both had non-O ME visas before, everything seemed complicated when they were no longer available in the UK since Jun 2019, but still workable. Now it is heading close to impossibility some have speculated in other recent posts, except for being tourist)

The basic requirements for a non-o visa for for retirement follow.

image.png.78878824808bba6877464aacb305148f.png

Source: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

The requirements to get a certificate of entry are on this page. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

image.png.65b8cc001dc21434c4f37c2011187136.png

If you plan on applying for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement I suggest you get a single entry tourist visa or enter visa exempt that will allow a 45 day entry and then apply for a 90 day non-o visa at immigration. That would avoid needing the  40/400k baht insurance requirement.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The basic requirements for a non-o visa for for retirement follow.

image.png.78878824808bba6877464aacb305148f.png

Source: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

The requirements to get a certificate of entry are on this page. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

image.png.65b8cc001dc21434c4f37c2011187136.png

If you plan on applying for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement I suggest you get a single entry tourist visa or enter visa exempt that will allow a 45 day entry and then apply for a 90 day non-o visa at immigration. That would avoid needing the  40/400k baht insurance requirement.

I would plan on applying for a 90 day non o based on receiving the U.K. State Pension, can I complete an application form and send my passport and the relevant documents with the fee to the embassy or do I have to go online and register first. The only funds I would have to show would a copy of my pension statement, I would then convert the 90 day non o to a extension of stay/retirement visa in Thailand.

11 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I would plan on applying for a 90 day non o based on receiving the U.K. State Pension, can I complete an application form and send my passport and the relevant documents with the fee to the embassy or do I have to go online and register first.

You have to do the visa application online here https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

After the application is accepted you can then mail your passport and application form you will printout while on the site.

You will upload your pension statement on the e visa site when doing the applications.

During the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply or proof of 65k baht income.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to do the visa application online here https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

After the application is accepted you can then mail your passport and application form you will printout while on the site.

You will upload your pension statement on the e visa site when doing the applications.

During the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply or proof of 65k baht income.

Thanks Joe, 

I don't know what your UK state pension amounts to.  I do know that mine is no longer  enough when converted to Thai baht monthly to meet even the marriage based visa/ permission of 40k but monthly let alone the retirement visa. The last time I spoke to an IO about this he looked very surprised ( but farang rich, their government pay good pension?). Best to enter visa exempt, extend and then apply for 1 year extension with lump sum in the bank 400k bht for marriage, 800k for retirement. Exactly what the IO advised me to do!

17 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I don't know what your UK state pension amounts to.  I do know that mine is no longer  enough when converted to Thai baht monthly to meet even the marriage based visa/ permission of 40k but monthly let alone the retirement visa. The last time I spoke to an IO about this he looked very surprised ( but farang rich, their government pay good pension?). Best to enter visa exempt, extend and then apply for 1 year extension with lump sum in the bank 400k bht for marriage, 800k for retirement. Exactly what the IO advised me to do!

image.png.28bb1cb92cf7fc7cb74d94a86d412252.pngThis is what’s required when submitting an application in the U.K., you can’t apply for a Non O Visa in Thailand using this method but you can if applying in the U.K. 

16 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

image.png.28bb1cb92cf7fc7cb74d94a86d412252.pngThis is what’s required when submitting an application in the U.K., you can’t apply for a Non O Visa in Thailand using this method but you can if applying in the U.K. 

If you apply for a Non O based on retirement in the UK at the moment you will have to take out insurance of 40k baht out patient and 400k baht in patient as well as the $100k Covid insurance. To avoid this you either to apply for a Tourist visa 60 days or enter Thailand Visa exempt. When you get to Thailand ensure that you have the finance in place as UJ said. You can then apply for change of visa status to a Non O for 2k baht and after apply for a retirement extension of stay 1,900 baht. This is your best option to avoid the insurance.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:38 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

Can I complete an application form send my Passport with the fee plus postage to the embassy ?

I have previously had a Non O albeit it was a 12 month multi entry but now only a 90 Day Single Entry.is available.

You must apply online Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa (thaievisa.go.th)

Scroll over the icons on the right hand side to find 'Visa category' (bottom icon).

Click to open categories, then select 'Non-Immigrant O'.

'Create an account' top right hand corner of the page.

You must apply online, but can then post your Passport and documents for the Visa.

For entry requirements to Thailand you should read all the guides here;

Visa & Consular Services - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Especially: Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Forgive me if I am missing something here.

The current basic UK pension is £134.25 per week.

£134.25 per week = £6981.00 per year

£6981.00 per year = £537 per month [the UK pays 4 weekly so there are 13 payments in a year]

£537 per month = 22,212.03 ThB per month [todays exchange rate on X-Currency is 41.36]

Unless the OP has 800,000 ThB [£19,340.86] to put in Thai Bank how is he going to get entry and any extension?  The UK pension comes nowhere near satisfying the financial necessities here.

I can inform you the The Royal Thai Embassy in London were a pleasure to work with, handled my tourist visa application with top class speed and efficiency, the one question I asked via Email was responded to with information required politely and promptly.

The guidance and updates were regular and very easy to follow.

As I had already booked my flight, insurance, and ASQ accommodation while awaiting the return of my passport with visa, the COE turn around was less than 48 hours, very impressive

Thanks to the patience and posting regarding repetitive on demand updates and information from the Tvisa team latest information was very easy to find

Also made use of the Grace ASQ hotels thread, spot on, I sent my request received a very instructive reply almost immediately from the hotel with required documentation and full explanation attached

So a big thanks to all for your valuable assistance, as in a few weeks, I will have my pre-flight covid test, booked at a Heathrow Hotel where I will stay overnight, hopefully the last hurdle to overcome before I board my flight the following day.....

4 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

The UK pension comes nowhere near satisfying the financial necessities here.

The financial requirement to obtain a 90 day single entry Non O Visa from a Thai Embassy are totally different to those set by Immigration to obtain 1 year extensions.

It is of no concern to the Embassy what your intentions are after 90 days.

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

Non-Immigrant visas - Royal Thai Embassy, London

A pensioner in receipt of state pension only requires evidence of his state pension.

Those under state pension age but 50+ must provide a 3 month bank statement of at least £10,000.

5 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Unless the OP has 800,000 ThB [£19,340.86] to put in Thai Bank how is he going to get entry and any extension?  The UK pension comes nowhere near satisfying the financial necessities here.

For extensions using the income method it's proof of pensions, as in plural.

Many British expats have private or company pensions in addition to the state pension.

Archived