With Republican firewall, U.S. Senate acquits Trump of inciting deadly Capitol riot

rooster59

13 minutes ago, heybruce said:

That explains your posts.

How so? Do you disagree with what I said?

Shoot from the hip, cowboy.

Pray tell us which non=biased news channel you watch.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

The case against Trump was solid. McConnell even admitted it. He was spineless to go against his oath of office.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/19/us/politics/mcconnell-trump.html

Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, said on Tuesday that the mob that stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 had been “provoked by the president and other powerful people,” stating publicly for the first time that he holds President Trump at least partly responsible for the assault.

“The mob was fed lies,” Mr. McConnell said, referring to attempts by Mr. Trump to overturn the election based on bogus claims of voter fraud. “They were provoked by the president and other powerful people. And they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government which they did not like.”

If McConnell was so sure that Trump was guilty, WHY did he vote to acquit Trump and then come out mealy mouthed after Trump was found not guilty?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How so? Do you disagree with what I said?

Shoot from the hip, cowboy.

Pray tell us which non=biased news channel you watch.

On this particular topic you professed ignorance about the lawsuits Trump is facing and referred to his impeachment as a witch hunt.  That certainly shows a lack of information about Trump.

I assume RT is as flattering of Trump, who did much to undermine America's standing in the world, as it is of Putin.

As I've posted repeatedly, I don't get my news from television.  I read.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, rooster59 said:

The bottom line is that we convinced a big majority in the Senate of our case,"

No, the bottom line was that he didn't convince enough Senators of the merits of his daft case!

Edit:  I know Salerno, you're confused, never mind, you'll get it one day.

Edited by Matreusse
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

No, the bottom line was that he didn't convince enough Senators of the merits of his daft case!

No, despite the merits of the case, see McConnell's comments, they decided not to convict.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well the impeachment is over, and some even said the MAGA garbage again.

I am waiting to see Trump in a court, vainly trying to tell the truth, he will probable

look worse than the lawyer with hair dye running down his cheek.    I am waiting to see

Trump lose more and more of his money and support.  He still has lots of supporters,

but as some say, so did the Jones guy who convinced a lot of people to drink the

purple coolaid.  Jones Town Jones.   Remember the lemmings, they were followers 

as well.

Geezer

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:
19 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

No, despite the merits of the case, see McConnell's comments, they decided not to convict.

Yes, exactly, they couldn't convict because they didn't convince enough Senators of the merits of their daft case,  McConnell was expressing only his own personal opinion.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

And you are wrong. The senate determines who it can impeach, the senate alone. That makes it constitutional. Enough.

The senate doesn't impeach- that is done in the house.

Only the written constitution is constitutional. The senate can't change the constitution on its own volition.

If the senate could change the constitution they could have convicted Trump on a simple majority vote and IMO they would have if able, but they couldn't which proves that "That makes it constitutional" is not so. Enough.

• Like 2

Just now, Sujo said:

But they voted it was.

In their opinion. I never said they couldn't vote to do whatever they want, but a vote doesn't make it constitutional, and I'm sure you know that. If they could do whatever they liked on a majority vote they could prevent Trump standing again anyway, but they are not going to, because only a conviction of the impeachment would have allowed them to do so.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The senate doesn't impeach- that is done in the house.

Only the written constitution is constitutional. The senate can't change the constitution on its own volition.

If the senate could change the constitution they could have convicted Trump on a simple majority vote and IMO they would have if able, but they couldn't which proves that "That makes it constitutional" is not so. Enough.

The constitution states the senate has the sole power to try the case. So if it decides it can then it can, as stated in the constitution.

What part of that dont you understand.

I never mentioned the process of a verdict.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1