Is there a problem with Thai citizens changing name on passport and I.d. card to English name on marriage license?

Rpeter47

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not a problem. Amphur can sort it.  They have seen this issue many times before. 

Bit tedious more than anything, my wife did it 2 years ago after being married about 10 years. Couldn't do it while she was working and then waited for the next passport renewal.

Now have to add these documents into visa applications, became a bit of a headache when we went for a Moroccan visa last year.

Upon marriage, the Thai lady will be asked if she wants to change her name to the husbands name at the amphur office upon the time of marriage. If she says yes, it will be registered as that name and new I’d card and passport can be had. The problem comes if you have any children that you want to also change their name to the same surname as the amphur will tell you that the law in Thailand states that a name change can be done only if the name is a unique name and means something in thai. It’s not just a quick change and can be a real headache. It’s a rediculous law but hey, there’s many rediculous laws in Thailand the make no sense at all...