Thailand defends decision not to join COVAX vaccine alliance

webfact

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

For that to work the entire tourism workforce would need to be vaccinated and the tourists kept in bubbles to avoid contact with the general Thai population. Please remember vaccination does not stop you carrying the virus and passing it on although that is of course vastly reduced.

Lets face it, until the general population in Thailand is vaccinated then attempts at luring tourists will just be more plans with little results.

It is still undetermined if vaccinated people can spread. More testing is being done. It better to assume you can until scientists know for sure.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

For that to work the entire tourism workforce would need to be vaccinated and the tourists kept in bubbles to avoid contact with the general Thai population. Please remember vaccination does not stop you carrying the virus and passing it on although that is of course vastly reduced.

Lets face it, until the general population in Thailand is vaccinated then attempts at luring tourists will just be more plans with little results.

You are not considering the system that the Thai government and people have already accepted.

At present, unvaccinated humans who may have the virus are allowed in and placed into quarantine. This carries some level of risk, not least that a tourist could contract the virus during their last few days in quarantine and, then, spread it around once outside, potentially exposing the currently unvaccinated citizens and tourism workforce.

The current testing and quarantine system is a big hassle but absolutely not foolproof.

I am saying that accepting ONLY inoculated tourists, coming from countries where mass vaccination has pushed active infections below 0.1% of the population, is far safer on every level. This is basic math.

The scenario I'm suggesting is not happening tomorrow, but Israel are clearly already on their way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

You are not considering the system that the Thai government and people have already accepted.

At present, unvaccinated humans who may have the virus are allowed in and placed into quarantine. This carries some level of risk, not least that a tourist could contract the virus during their last few days in quarantine and, then, spread it around once outside, potentially exposing the currently unvaccinated citizens and tourism workforce.

The current testing and quarantine system is a big hassle but absolutely not foolproof.

I am saying that accepting ONLY inoculated tourists, coming from countries where mass vaccination has pushed active infections below 0.1% of the population, is far safer on every level. This is basic math.

The scenario I'm suggesting is not happening tomorrow, but Israel are clearly already on their way.

Yes Israel is on its way to vaccination 100% of their population.  Thailand has no one vaccinated yet and it has been shown that vaccinated folks can still pick up and transmit the virus. Just look at the 4 recent cases in Oregon.

thailand - hub of corruption and ignorance.

Astrazeneca in europe $2.18, in thailand $7.78 (6bln baht that is $200 for 26mln doses).

EU, and even more so Covax, do have economy of scale - EU is 700mln, Covac some 2bln population. So they can negotiate price and timing. Thailand, with 67mln population and being stingy doesn't have bargaining power.

Malaysia and Bahrain are richer in than Thailand, yet they joined the program. Malaysia has  already allocated $500mln for 83% of population.  

covax.jpg

Edited by internationalism

So all about money again, lets order and buy submarines, armored personnel carriers, strike helicopters, maintain a totally useless aircraft carrier, spent fortunes on face-lifting military establishments, etc, etc, etc, but not pay a small premium on the COVAX program, which would guarantee prices delivery dates and save millions of Baht in hospital treatment for the infected population. Only last week "I Know Nuthin" (Anutin)  was spewing garbage about this thousand, that thousand vaccines being delivered and the vaccine program starting from 14th February ????????. Now it emerges that they have not even ordered the vaccine ??? Waiting for Siam Bioscience to start producing cheaper locally. Although I am a supporter of the way they locked Thailand down early, to suppress to spread of the virus, (like many other Asian countries), it beggars belief, at the way this shamble of so called experts are just lying to each other and the general public each and every day. So the vaccine roll out is now planned for June, please don't hold your breath, as you will not be around to receive it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hioctane said:

It is still undetermined if vaccinated people can spread. More testing is being done.

It was always biologically impossible that inoculation would not reduce transmission to some degree.

Extensive testing has now been done in Israel - by some of the best universities closely monitoring the largest available pool of subjects - and it shows that transmission is reduced by 67%. That is enough to obliterate the R0 and keep down the curve in any country that gets above 50% vaccinated. 

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

In this Governments view they will squeeze all they can out of quarantine.

The Thai government does not seem like they want to be the first in anything. Israel has shown a huge benefit. The US has already seen a huge drop in cases. If cases keep dropping in these vaccinated countries, they will probably follow the lead.

• Like 1

i dont care about any of this rubbish.

the UK is well on its way with its programme.

soon enough, it will be possible for individuals to order the stuff online.

so anyone here, will be able to order it from the UK or from another country that has it.

Also, I am pretty sure the private hospitals here will have their own source and supply soon enough.

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes Israel is on its way to vaccination 100% of their population.  Thailand has no one vaccinated yet and it has been shown that vaccinated folks can still pick up and transmit the virus. Just look at the 4 recent cases in Oregon.

Nothing has shown that it can trasmit yet. On the plus, the Oregon cases were mild and assymptomatic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

so anyone here, will be able to order it from the UK or from another country that has it.

Also, I am pretty sure the private hospitals here will have their own source and supply soon enough.

It won’t be available for general sale for a while. All the high income countries have preordered all the doses to vaccinate their whole countries first.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You said and I quote 

You simply don't understand the words you are quoting. Thailand, with its unvaccinated population, is already tolerating a certain small level of risk from tourists using the testing and quarantine path. I am criticizing the hysterical notion that now, facing an infinitely safer form of tourist, suddenly they need to vaccinate their entire population. It is complete nonsense.

Current situation: Population exposed to potentially virus-ridden tourists.

New situation: Population exposed to tourists far less likely to be infected, and far less able to transmit it if they are.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

this government is extremely scared of loosing what little control they have and the supposed success they have had based uponbtheir actions

The particular Army faction currently fronting for the establishment cannot retain their big money backers if they fail to get the money spigot operating again.

Western vaccination programs were always going to be how they would re-open to mass tourism. If this faction fails to deliver they will be swiftly replaced by another.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mike Rodik said:

almost 70 million THAIS.... 80 died in a year

does everybody really need an untested rushed vaccine ?

It would be nice to be able to get one if you want one, as I'm sure the vast majority of healthcare and ASQ workers do.

You can wait though. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, madmitch said:

It's typical Thailand. It's a very insular country in many ways. Thaland prefers to do things in its own way and is very protective of its own industries.

It's very sad that this type of thinking has been applied to something as important as this.

That´s the only type of thinking that can be applied. It´s impossible to apply something that is outside the view of awareness.

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

In this Governments view they will squeeze all they can out of quarantine.

Do you really believe they prefer the money they are getting from a paltry few thousand quarantine inmates per month rather than what they were earning from 40 million tourists they were getting per year?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

Unfortunately the Government has just recently rolled back the ability for anyone outside of the immediate government CCSA and MOPH to bring in vaccines.  I wish it was not so, but they want 100% control over something they do not yet have and do not want to be upstaged by a private hospital obtaining the vaccine and vaccinating people before the government does.

• Like 2

The bottom line is business people seem to be more worried about the Tourist industry loss of business jobs ect which I fully understand 

Than seems to be about giving the vaccine to all the Thai people 

Every day we are reading about different governors in the main Tourist 

Areas looking at ways to procure the vaccines first for the people working in the leisure industry to get the tourist back 

This should be  Government lead for all

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Do you really believe they prefer the money they are getting from a paltry few thousand quarantine inmates per month rather than what they were earning from 40 million tourists they were getting per year?

No, but a few Billion Baht is better than nothing.  Thailand surely does not want to make the country awash in the virus now do they?  A little money for their friends is better than nothing, and they are barely taking care of those that have gone under and are unemployed now in the tourism sector who were unclassified employee's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

So, you think we're going to vacation in Germany?

Trust me, after a year of grim lockdown boredom, as soon as the gates open, more people than ever are sprinting towards Thailand.

Trust me, there will be no hordes of childless adults and couples flocking to Thailand unless Thailand gets its act together and has vaccinated its population. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1