Emirates Insurance for COE ?

I just saw that Emirates now automatically provide free travel insurance with all flights which includes $500,000 for Covid related expenses. Wondering if anyone has used this to obtain a COE ? And if not, would it qualify? Seems like a good way to save a few thousand baht if you are flying Emirates anyway.

I copied this from the FAQ on their website and it certainly seems to, but wanted to get some other viewpoints here first.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-offers-expanded-multi-risk-travel-insurance-coverage/

15. What are the key benefits for COVID-19 coverage under this policy?

Key benefits for COVID-19 include:

 Up to USD 500,000 for overseas medical expenses and emergency evacuation

 Up to USD 7,500 for a trip cancellation for non-refundable costs if the traveller or a relative (as defined in the policy) is unable to travel because they are diagnosed with COVID-19 before the scheduled trip departure date.

 Up to USD 150 per day, per person for quarantine at the destination, capped at 14 consecutive days.

So are they automatically paying out $150 per day for the government required quarantine ?.  Sounds like there must be some other t's + c's in the contract otherwise this doesn't make economic sense for Emirates.  Apologies if I've missed anything, has anyone used this policy and claimed.

As a footnote UAE through which airport almost all flights pass through is now a "red" country for UK destinations, therefore requiring the 10 day ASQ at your destination.  Still fail to see how this is going to operate.

5 minutes ago, DaLa said:

So are they automatically paying out $150 per day for the government required quarantine ?.  Sounds like there must be some other t's + c's in the contract otherwise this doesn't make economic sense for Emirates.  Apologies if I've missed anything, has anyone used this policy and claimed.

As a footnote UAE through which airport almost all flights pass through is now a "red" country for UK destinations, therefore requiring the 10 day ASQ at your destination.  Still fail to see how this is going to operate.

It doesn’t cover the cost of quarantine but will cover hospital treatment if you test positive. No, I’ve not heard of anyone needing to claim in Thailand on it.

You can’t fly with Emirates into the U.K. now. Flights are banned. If you have been in Dubai during the previous ten days, even in transit, then you must pay for hotel quarantine wherever you fly from.

I agree, it’s all a bit confusing. Really the intention is to stop many people travelling at all.

47 minutes ago, Fred345 said:

It doesn’t cover the cost of quarantine but will cover hospital treatment if you test positive. No, I’ve not heard of anyone needing to claim in Thailand on it.

There was a report on the Forum of someone who tested positive during his ASQ stay, but as he had no symptoms his insurance policy that covered (covid-19 treatment) refused to pay for the hospitalization as he was not ill.

Luckily he had flown in with Emirates, and their free covid-19 insurance covered all costs.

Okay thanks @Peter Denis and @Fred345, that's good to know. One less thing to spend money on in that case. 

@DaLa Regarding the quarantine cost, this appears to be in the event you are forced to quarantine as a result of being tested positive for Covid19 in whatever country you are in at the time. So wouldn't apply to Thailand in this instance.

Check your embassy requirement.

When I applied for entry in early January the Thai embassy in Riyadh specifically stated airline insurance not accepted. I was flying on their approved flight with Emirates

"- No travel insurance by any airlines is acceptable"

Archived