Dubai's Sheikha Latifa issues video from 'villa jail'- BBC Panorama

webfact

Dubai's Sheikha Latifa issues video from 'villa jail'- BBC Panorama

screenshot.jpg

video screenshot

LONDON (Reuters) - The BBC’s investigative news programme Panorama on Tuesday published a video it said was of Sheikha Latifa, one of the ruler of Dubai’s daughters, saying that she was being held against her will in a barricaded villa.

Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed al-Maktoum drew international attention in 2018 when a human rights group released a video made by her in which she described an attempt to escape Dubai.

Last March, a London High Court judge said he accepted as proved a series of allegations made by Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum’s former wife, Princess Haya, in a legal battle, including that the sheikh ordered the abduction of Latifa. The sheikh’s lawyers rejected the allegations.

“I am a hostage and this villa has been converted into a jail,” Latifa, 35, said in the video published by the BBC as part of a Panorama programme airing on Tuesday.

The BBC's investigative news program Panorama on Tuesday published a video it said was of Sheikha Latifa, one of the ruler of Dubai's daughters, saying that she was being held against her will in a barricaded villa. This report produced by Zachary Goelman.

“All the windows are barred shut, I can’t open any window.” She said she was making the video in the bathroom of the villa, the only room she could lock herself into.

Reuters could not independently verify when or where the video was recorded.

The Free Latifa campaign, which has lobbied for her release, said it had managed to smuggle a phone to Latifa.

David Haigh, one of the campaign’s co-founders and her lawyer, called for Latifa’s immediate release and an end to “a horrendous period of parental and human rights abuse that has significantly damaged the reputation of the UAE.”

The Dubai government’s media office referred questions about the video to Sheikh Mohammed’s law firm, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

David Pannick, a lawyer in London representing Sheikh Mohammed in the legal battle with Princess Haya, said: “As one of the lawyers in current legal proceedings, I cannot comment.”

Appearing alert and speaking calmly, Latifa said in the video that there were police officers stationed outside and inside the villa. “I just want to be free,” she added.

In December 2018, the UAE foreign ministry said Latifa was at home and living with her family, after rights groups called on authorities in the Gulf Arab state to disclose her whereabouts and condition.

(Editing by Mike Collett-White)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-17

23 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

We in the Western world seem to have a blind spot when in comes to human rights in the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia.

Oil. Whenever we get a little too cross with them, they do something to the price or supply.

Once EVs really take off, it should be a humbling experience.

Other countries UK, EU, USA, Israel have vested interests in Dubai, that they aren't prepared to jeopardize for the sake of the human rights of the sheik's daughters.

The sheik is concerned about saving face, hence the ruse in December 2018 inviting the former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and Irish President Mary Robinson to lunch to verify Latifa was OK. Robinson had been told Latifa was mentally ill.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56085369

Perhaps the way to go is to shame the sheik. He's a big race horse owner. Snub him socially, starting with the Queen turning her back on him at Royal Ascot. The other Emirates, especially the wealthiest Abu Dhabi, won't like the adverse PR. Individuals could also demonstrate their disapproval by boycotting Dubai as a holiday destination along with the Sheiks' airline Emirates.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I just watched the program pretty disturbing actually

We in the Western world seem to have a blind spot when in comes to human rights in the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia. 

Wonder what the response would have been to the same story had it been in Iran or North Korea?

I thought she escaped, why on earth would she return?

Where did you watch the doco?

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

She didn't return willingly. Her attempted escape was unsuccessful. She was captured by commandos, tranquilized, and returned to captivity. The new video clips are on BBC News website.

10 minutes ago, Hotrats said:

She didn't return willingly. Her attempted escape was unsuccessful. She was captured by commandos, tranquilized, and returned to captivity. The new video clips are on BBC News website.

Oh ok.

I've seen the clips, i'd like to watch the doco.

There was a doco of her escape, quite interesting.

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Wonder what the response would have been to the same story had it been in Iran or North Korea?

Well, "we in the Western world" also deal with China, Russia and many other countries where human rights are an issue. It's not unique to the Middle East. On the balance of things, economical issues often trump human rights stuff. It might not be "right", but that's how it is. Maybe relates to priorities?

With regard to North Korea - no trade, and not a whole lot to offer. Irrelevant. When it comes to Iran, a bit more complicated - the goodies are there, but politics come in the way. Once the JCPOA is back on track, and trade resumes, there will be less commentary on Iran's human rights issues.

• Like 2

@dexterm

Got to love the sudden interest in human rights issues in the UAE, nothing  to do with your own interests and agenda, of course. Western countries deal with other problem countries (as far as human rights go). China and Russia being two prime examples. But many others qualify as well. Vested interests is not a dirty word.

International diplomacy and relations are usually more accommodating to cultural, political and social differences then ideologies, moral systems and religions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, pegman said:

With all the problems in the world the BBC does a documentary on this?  What next an expose on Kellyann's daughter? 

It did seem a bit of an odd topic to headline the evening news with.

The only 2 things to knock covid and brexit off the headlines have been captain Tom and  the big explosion in Beirut, I'm not saying that it is an irrelevant story.

@dexterm

No disinformation, and the 'archives' will support my point. Your interest and comments on issues of human rights and the UAE increased significantly with recent regional political developments not to your liking. The 'archives' are my friend, and that's been demonstrated many times in the past.

I did not 'paper over' anything. You're treating this as something that's supposed to be treated here and now with maximum attention. Others may be of the opinion that there are other priorities, regional and global.

Its quite obvious you did not mean 'vested interests' in any neutral kind of way, but rather as criticism. Spin away. As for posting nonsense suggestions as 'practical' - guess it's a choice whether to treat these seriously. You're right to observe I do not engage in such nonsense. You're also right to expect criticism when doing so.

Obviously, no actual comment on the crux of things - that diplomacy, politics and international relations are not "nice", "fair" or even relate much (in practice) to moral/ideological notions.

1 minute ago, Morch said:

@dexterm

No disinformation, and the 'archives' will support my point. Your interest and comments on issues of human rights and the UAE increased significantly with recent regional political developments not to your liking. The 'archives' are my friend, and that's been demonstrated many times in the past.

I did not 'paper over' anything. You're treating this as something that's supposed to be treated here and now with maximum attention. Others may be of the opinion that there are other priorities, regional and global.

Its quite obvious you did not mean 'vested interests' in any neutral kind of way, but rather as criticism. Spin away. As for posting nonsense suggestions as 'practical' - guess it's a choice whether to treat these seriously. You're right to observe I do not engage in such nonsense. You're also right to expect criticism when doing so.

Obviously, no actual comment on the crux of things - that diplomacy, politics and international relations are not "nice", "fair" or even relate much (in practice) to moral/ideological notions.

Plenty of hogwash, personal attack having the miraculous ability to read my mind, and outright lies, but I notice you still offer no solution how to stop the father's abuse of his daughter, other than it is what it is.

I did offer a solution, and a practical one too. It's the same principle that Amnesty International operates under. The world is watching you Sheik Al Maktoum.

• Haha 1

@dexterm

No hogwash, that's how the world works. Even if you don't want to come to terms with it, better acknowledge it. Obviously, you can't and won't.

There was no 'personal attack', but a comment on your posting history in context. No mind reading involved either, just years' worth of familiarity with your posts and expressed views.

There is no obligation to offer solutions. That's not what these topics are for. Posters are free to comment on issues without pretending to be able to sort them out with simplistic nonsense notions.

Drama aside, no - the world is not watching all that closely, and this would probably won't be headline material by the next news cycle. Unless mistaken, that was pretty much the sum of the complaints raised by your and others.

Edited by Morch

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

No hogwash, that's how the world works. Even if you don't want to come to terms with it, better acknowledge it.

There was no 'personal attack', but a comment on your posting history in context. No mind reading involved either, just years' worth of familiarity with your posts and expressed views.

There is no obligation to offer solutions. That's not what these topics are for. Posters are free to comment on issues without pretending to be able to sort them out with simplistic nonsense notions.

Drama aside, no - the world is not watching all that closely, and this would probably won't be headline material by the next news cycle. Unless mistaken, that was pretty much the sum of the complaints raised by your and others.

Most of your posts are arrogantly and sarcastically critical of others' solutions, but you rarely offer answers yourself other than "That' how the world works" and it's all in the too hard basket. You seem more content to stalk and troll.

Don't confuse that fact that you are not interested in the woman's suffering, therefore no-one else can be either. The OP item was top of the BBC website and other news media. It is bound to get an airing on many TV channels today. I am sure the high society, royalty and aristocratic circles that the sheik moves in will now be more aware of how he abuses his daughter, and will ostracize him, which may have the effect of ending Maktoum's medieval parenting skills.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I think you are a little behind in your information. She did escape withe the help of some foreigners and some Dubai/Emirati special forces kidnapped her and her friends off the coast of India on a boat. I use the word kidnapped because that is what it was. She has been held in a villa, really a jail, ever since.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I watched it on the BBC iPlayer. I'm an sad American Anglophile so I run a UK wifi network so I can watch UK TV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morch said:

@dexterm

Got to love the sudden interest in human rights issues in the UAE, nothing  to do with your own interests and agenda, of course. Western countries deal with other problem countries (as far as human rights go). China and Russia being two prime examples. But many others qualify as well. Vested interests is not a dirty word.

International diplomacy and relations are usually more accommodating to cultural, political and social differences then ideologies, moral systems and religions.

Thats quite a pathetic veilled underhand post. You flame the poster and dont comment on the issue of the thread.

Perhaps deal with the thread instead of trying to score points. Which you failed to do. Imho of course.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

that's due to all the money it provides in employment, arms sales and promises of investment to a select group of countries. Money can make many horrors disappear from view..

@dexterm

Suggesting 'solutions' is not a requirement for commenting or posting. Pointing out that 'solutions' offered are unrealistic, daft, or irrelevant etc. is fair. That you cannot back up your posts, 'solutions' and whatnot with anything but drama, accusations and personal commentary is quite telling.

Spare me the two-bit moralizing 'you are not interested' etc. You seem to think care equates with posting hysterical drama queen style rants, I beg to differ. As posted above - there's a whole bunch of other serious human rights issues around, or even in the Middle East alone - this one jumping to the top of the list is just because she's a VIP. Her suffering is not greater than that of others. I think the words I'm looking for are balance, and proportion. Look them up.

Sure, the story will get around some, then the news cycle will go on for the next story. That's the way of the world.

If you read between the lines, the girl is bi-polar, unhinged and suffers from severe self entitlement. Lives in a villa that most of us would die for.

Back in the 50's my Moroccan cousin came to stay with us. Same age as the Emirati girl and in the same mental state. Completely uncontrolable. Would disappear for days and return to our house with a variety of men from different ethnic backgrounds. Had a leaning for men from the West Indies. As mad as a box of frogs. Her father, an extremely wealthy man, sent a couple of his people over who tranquilised her and returned her to Morocco. She never left his house again.

What's a father supposed to do? If you understand Arab culture you would know that her father has actually done his best for her and would be praised for his actions in his own country.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, polpott said:

If you read between the lines, the girl is bi-polar, unhinged and suffers from severe self entitlement. Lives in a villa that most of us would die for.

Back in the 50's my Moroccan cousin came to stay with us. Same age as the Emirati girl and in the same mental state. Completely uncontrolable. Would disappear for days and return to our house with a variety of men from different ethnic backgrounds. Had a leaning for men from the West Indies. As mad as a box of frogs. Her father, an extremely wealthy man, sent a couple of his people over who tranquilised her and returned her to Morocco. She never left his house again.

What's a father supposed to do? If you understand Arab culture you would know that her father has actually done his best for her and would be praised for his actions in his own country.

Thats what professionals are for. You seem to think kidnapping and deprivation of liberty is ok.

If she has issues they should be dealt with properly. How is what the father did helping her?

• Like 2