Looking for real coffee in Bangkok/Thailand

doggie1955

Get yourself down to JJ Mall in Bangkok (next to Chatuchak Market). On lower level across from supermarket are 4 or 5 coffeeshop equipment distributors...in addition nearby there are coffee bean purveyors.....I bet you can find something you like. I just bought a nice stainless steel mesh pourover filter...made a killer latte yesterday...strong and sweet using some beans I bought at Big-C....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, upu2 said:

Can you get "illy" coffee? If so try that. The Italians put it way above any other coffee and lets face it the Italians love their coffee

Illy is great, but more an espresso brand. So is Starbucks Komodo Dragon blend, (Indonesia coffees) or Sumatra, for drip. You will find they cost 2.5 to 3 times as much as you would buy in Italy, the US, Australia, where ever. This is because of TAX. If something is cheap, by that I mean reasonable, and has something like 'Blue Mountain' or 'Botswana Gold' as a label. Excellent chance,  just a name and the coffee is grown in Phayao. Misunderstandings happen.

Hillkoff has a great selection of Thai coffees for a reasonable price, but that is what it is, Thai Coffee. I would buy at their shop or online, not the one blend/roast they sell via stores or supermarkets.

One day we will be able to travel again. As an Indonesia coffee head. All you have to do is stop at the Matahari before flying out of Denpasar. You are loaded for bear.

coffee.jpg

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

I would like to try his coffee... however.. what an arrogant prickly pear...

intriguing, but such a heavy-duty con-man style approach... 

you find coffee that supposedly good in Thailand, let me know - I would not go to Ubud nor have anything to do with this know-it-all

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, alien365 said:

I can't believe the guy said he spent years buying all the right equipment to make good coffee but didn't think about the coffee beans. I buy my beans freshly roasted from Lazada. Some roast to order, others you need to chat with. I don't live in BKK but in Nakhon Pathom I know of three coffee shops with decent international beans. One of them roasts themselves, the others buy in and the beans rotate regularly.

Yes, the beans don’t matter, all you really need for a perfect cup of coffee is roaster he just happens to be selling. I was expecting him to whip out a Ginsu knife that we could get free with the roaster for a limited time....

16 hours ago, Acharn said:

flavor isn't a lot better than the instant

There’s no such thing as instant coffee. It’s actually a coffee flavoured drink, not coffee.

16 hours ago, Acharn said:

There are people who spend lots of money on fine wines, so It's OK to spend a lot of money on some special coffee if that floats your boat.

I never drink the instant coffee flavoured  substitute. It’s takes a few minutes to make real coffee and it doesn’t need to be expensive. I drink mostly Vietnamese coffee and  at imported prices it’s mot expensive 

8 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Illy is great, but more an espresso brand. So is Starbucks Komodo Dragon blend, (Indonesia coffees) or Sumatra, for drip. You will find they cost 2.5 to 3 times as much as you would buy in Italy, the US, Australia, where ever. This is because of TAX. If something is cheap, by that I mean reasonable, and has something like 'Blue Mountain' or 'Botswana Gold' as a label. Excellent chance,  just a name and the coffee is grown in Phayao. Misunderstandings happen.

Hillkoff has a great selection of Thai coffees for a reasonable price, but that is what it is, Thai Coffee. I would buy at their shop or online, not the one blend/roast they sell via stores or supermarkets.

One day we will be able to travel again. As an Indonesia coffee head. All you have to do is stop at the Matahari before flying out of Denpasar. You are loaded for bear.

coffee.jpg

Yep, Matahari has the cheapest local coffees. When I used to visit Bali (gave up around 6 years ago) I would stock up with enough to last until the next visit. Now I do the same in Vietnam. I’ve run out now but found a supplier here at reasonable cost for a 10kg order.

14 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

There’s no such thing as instant coffee. It’s actually a coffee flavoured drink, not coffee.

I never drink the instant coffee flavoured  substitute. It’s takes a few minutes to make real coffee and it doesn’t need to be expensive. I drink mostly Vietnamese coffee and  at imported prices it’s mot expensive 

So how do you define “real” coffee? 

Before moving to LOS , in Oz I had a high end Rocket Espresso Machine, burr grinder, and would only buy my favourite beans from one supplier out of Sydney. All for one espresso every morning... I would seldom drink unknown coffee at cafes and would never touch instant.   I was a total coffee snob ( & w#nker! ).

Now in Thailand - I am drinking Nescafé 3 in 1 - and am quite satisfied with that!  

My quest for the perfect coffee may have been a sign of my general dissatisfaction with my life in Oz. Maybe I’m getting too philosophical here!

Anyway , instant coffee vs exclusive expensive beans , Sang Som vs Johnny Walker Blue Label. Whatever rocks your boatI  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

coffee.jpg

Illy isnt cheap not even here in Italy

1 hour ago, G Rex said:

Before moving to LOS , in Oz I had a high end Rocket Espresso Machine, burr grinder, and would only buy my favourite beans from one supplier out of Sydney. All for one espresso every morning... I would seldom drink unknown coffee at cafes and would never touch instant.   I was a total coffee snob ( & w#nker! ).

Now in Thailand - I am drinking Nescafé 3 in 1 - and am quite satisfied with that!  

My quest for the perfect coffee may have been a sign of my general dissatisfaction with my life in Oz. Maybe I’m getting too philosophical here!

Anyway , instant coffee vs exclusive expensive beans , Sang Som vs Johnny Walker Blue Label. Whatever rocks your boatI  

I don’t think there’s any relationship between the cost and the perceived quality as you’ve proved in your post. It’s about your own preference and the how it tastes to you. I’ve tried the instant stuff, as many brands as I’ve had hot dinners but never found one I like. 

34 minutes ago, mogandave said:

If you don’t know, just say you don’t know, no shame it that. 

I do, I’m just not sure about your ability to comprehend. So I’ll leave it there, or at least let you have the last word to practise your “wit”

On 2/18/2021 at 7:04 PM, millymoopoo said:

"Asher Yaron" the coffee evangelist..!

Mostly right, basically the best cup of coffee will be made from fresh grinds from recently roasted beans.

Exactly the way most coffee in coffee shops is made in Australia, probably explains why coffee in Australia is just so much better then the over stewed dish water served up in America.

Taken coffee at the cafe Florian (Paris) and cafe de flore (Venice) and many others throughout Europe and Australia but the best coffee I've ever had was at the front gate to Wat Thampla Pong Ngam Chiang Rai, made from locally sourced Doi Tung beans, freshly roasted, I asked, and brought a bag of beans from her, about 500g, so for the next week we had the best coffee ever.!

I have been buying my coffee from this place in BKK... so far the best coffee in town;  https://www.facebook.com/thailandtrungnguyen/

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 7:08 AM, tonray said:

Get yourself down to JJ Mall in Bangkok (next to Chatuchak Market). On lower level across from supermarket are 4 or 5 coffeeshop equipment distributors...in addition nearby there are coffee bean purveyors.....I bet you can find something you like. I just bought a nice stainless steel mesh pourover filter...made a killer latte yesterday...strong and sweet using some beans I bought at Big-C....

Thank You... I have been getting my coffee from a shop in BKK for years;  https://www.facebook.com/thailandtrungnguyen/

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 4:35 PM, Fairynuff said:

Thank You... I have been getting my coffee from a shop in BKK for years;  https://www.facebook.com/thailandtrungnguyen/

On 2/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, G Rex said:

Try this, you may like it... it is wat better then Nescafe 3 in 1... Thank You... I have been getting my coffee from a shop in BKK for years;  https://www.facebook.com/thailandtrungnguyen/

On 2/21/2021 at 7:37 AM, doggie1955 said:

Try this, you may like it... it is wat better then Nescafe 3 in 1... Thank You... I have been getting my coffee from a shop in BKK for years;  https://www.facebook.com/thailandtrungnguyen/

I think that coffee is available in the US as well, although it might be pricey. 

What does it cost here?