Looking for real coffee in Bangkok/Thailand

doggie1955

I know a lot of you will say that Thailand has coffee shops are everwhere, and the # 1 coffee is Black Ivory Coffee here in Thailand (aka elephant dung coffee) is the world's rarest and most expensive coffee in world. Not what I am looking for, please see video to get a better understanding what real coffee is. If you have never had real coffee, you do not know what you are missing... Think of it like going to "High School Prom with your Sister or going with Angeline Jolie"  Yes, it is that big of a difference. So if you know of a place like this, please post!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

I know a lot of you will say that Thailand has coffee shops are everwhere, and the # 1 coffee is Black Ivory Coffee here in Thailand (aka elephant dung coffee) is the world's rarest and most expensive coffee in world. Not what I am looking for, please see video to get a better understanding what real coffee is. If you have never had real coffee, you do not know what you are missing... Think of it like going to "High School Prom with your Sister or going with Angeline Jolie"  Yes, it is that big of a difference. So if you know of a place like this, please post!

Darn, I just don´t know where to begin! There are so many wrongs here, so it´s scary. Anyway, I will give it a try!

<Removed>

I assume there is a reason we the world opinion has chosen Black Ivory Coffée to be the worlds rarest and most expensive coffée. It might just have to do with that it´s also very good!

We don´t need a Mr Perfect Coffée on YouTube or any other online media to convince a few believers of his newfound sect, that he is the worlds ultimate coffée expert. It´s a matter of taste!

Ok, I am calm. I am done now. Nice to get it out. Mostly I reacted on Jolie, because even Bungdungkanchai´s coffée in the morning market is better than her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These poop coffees, be they civet or elephant, seem gimmicky. Like something out of a Cheech & Chong skit? "Good thing I didn't step in it."

And is really OK for the animals? Where does it end? Panda beans?

https://blackivorycoffee.com/pages/about-us

diBosco in Chiang Mai is said to be good. https://www.instagram.com/diboscocoffee/?hl=en

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

These poop coffees, be they civet or elephant, seem gimmicky. Like something out of a Cheech & Chong skit? "Good thing I didn't step in it."

And is really OK for the animals? Where does it end? Panda beans?

https://blackivorycoffee.com/pages/about-us

diBosco in Chiang Mai is said to be good. https://www.instagram.com/diboscocoffee/?hl=en

That's a good point about animal welfare. I have tasted kopi luwak and, I must admit, thought it was wonderful. However my Indonesian colleague has told me that in order to maintain the purity of the beans, the animals are fed nothing other that coffee cherries, which severely impacts their health and life expectancy.

This article expands on that concern.

The Disturbing Secret Behind the World’s Most Expensive Coffee

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Go to the Philippines.40 years ago I visited a mate there and his houseboy told me of his father's difficult life. He was a rice farmer and grew 90 bags twice a year. From each crop he paid 30 bags to the paddy owner and 30 bags to the buffalo owner who plowed for him. Of the other 30 the family ate 15 and they sold 15 for a bit of cash. So I bought the old man a buffalo and dramatically changed the family's fortunes. 

Next year I was visiting Bill [since murdered in Manila] and the houseboy took me way up north of Luzon to a little village called Pinukpuk to see the buffalo. Father had bought an old aunt down from the mountains to cook for me because his wife had <deleted> off. Her coffee, grown roasted and ground by her was the best I have ever had.

Had to share a room with her son who had just killed a man with a bolo knife who was trying to steal some of those beans. He had his bolo knife leaning against the wall while we slept. Was worth the trauma for that coffee. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Little coffee story.  20 years or so ago, I was wandering around the  Mong mountain villages west of Chang Mai and came across  a small village  coffee shop and farm.  The coffee was excellent and I bought many bags to take home to the UK.  It was as good as any of the Jamaican Blue Mountain blends that I liked.  So I guess that the answer to the OPs question lies in that area.  

17 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:
On 2/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, doggie1955 said:

........of it like going to "High School Prom with your Sister or going with Angeline Jolie

My sister's  got bigger  knockers.....

It's wonderful that this forum is based in Thailand.

In how many other countries would you get away with a comment like that? ???? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can't believe the guy said he spent years buying all the right equipment to make good coffee but didn't think about the coffee beans. I buy my beans freshly roasted from Lazada. Some roast to order, others you need to chat with. I don't live in BKK but in Nakhon Pathom I know of three coffee shops with decent international beans. One of them roasts themselves, the others buy in and the beans rotate regularly.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, doggie1955 said:

And coffee is your No.1 priority. There was a word for people like you back in the 1980's.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roquefort said:

I have to agree with you there.

What about compared with Japanese? I figured Japanese have even stranger demands for taste than Yanks! Egg and yogurt!? Come on, man..

As far as quality ground coffee made at the home office, I recommend the following:

My coffee Expresso Dark Abu Pangkhon Lazada.png

I dont really get it. I'm happy with instant coffee. Moccona, usually, or Khao Shong. I have a French Press one cup coffee maker and buy Metal Drum brand coffee from Chiang Mai on Lazada, but I only make about one cup a day with it because it's just too much trouble, and the flavor isn't a lot better than the instant. If that turkey giving the TED Talk thinks I'm drinking terrible coffee, [family blog] him. My mother used to make two or three pots a day, and it would sit on the stove for long periods of time, getting thicker and blacker and more bitter. I thought it was fine because it was what I was used to. There are people who spend lots of money on fine wines, so It's OK to spend a lot of money on some special coffee if that floats your boat. None of my business.

Edited by Acharn
  • Haha 1