Condo purchases: Foreigners buy 35% LESS - Elite card scheme won't change things

webfact

Condo purchases: Foreigners buy 35% LESS - Elite card scheme won't change things

8pm.jpg

A leading real estate expert has said that far less foreigners are buying real estate - mostly condos - in Thailand contributing to a turndown in the sector. 

And plans to use the Elite Card scheme to promote investment are little more than a drop in the ocean. 

Wichai Wiratkaphan told Thansettakij that in 2020 around 10% less property changed hands overall - 358,490 sales were recorded in total. 

But condos bought by foreigners were 35.3% down compared to 2019.

They bought 8,258 condo units in 2020.

The share of that market dropped from 10% of the total to just 6.8% year on year.

Foreign investment in condos in the last three years were led by the Chinese with 58%. In second place were Russians (the media suggested 51% but Thaivisa suggests this is an error) with French people in third at 3%, British in fourth at also 3% and Japanese at 2%. 

Tellingly Wichai suggested that the much vaunted "Condo purchase for an Elite Card and long term residency" plan would not have much effect on the downturn. 

Source: Thansettakij

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-18

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Foreign investment in condos in the last three years were led by the Chinese with 58%. In second place were Russians (the media suggested 51% but Thaivisa suggests this is an error) with French people in third at 3%, British in fourth at also 3% and Japanese at 2%. 

Do the Europeans and Japanese know something the Chinese do not?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Susco said:

Now let me make a wild guess why that is.

Could it be because there are not much foreigners left, and even less can enter Thailand?

Even the Chinese are selling their condos in bulk now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andy said:

Curious why every time you see one of these articles, they never mention 2 important points: the strong baht, and the asking prices which seem to have no bearing in reality given the oversupply.  It's almost as if the Thai press will not allow discussion of this...

There is a condo building in Bangkok I check listings for from time to time, as I like the location and used to live in the general area.  This place is not a new build (around 10 years old I think), and is not in an area frequented by tourists, but is near the MRT.  You would think prices would not be too crazy anymore, especially now.  Just checked it again, there are 75 units up for sale in the building ????...despite this, 1 bedroom units that are not shoebox sized are listed for between 6-9 MB ????

It’s called” saving face”. Go bankrupt rather than meet the market

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andy said:

the asking prices which seem to have no bearing in reality given the oversupply.

It seems rental prices in the Pattaya area are adjusting but sales prices haven't adjusted yet.   I'll buy at the right price but my guess is that the market hasn't come close to bottoming yet.  

5 hours ago, shortstop said:

It seems rental prices in the Pattaya area are adjusting but sales prices haven't adjusted yet.   I'll buy at the right price but my guess is that the market hasn't come close to bottoming yet.  

Frankly, in Pattaya the rental prices were more unrealistic pre-covid, often ppl looking for 7-10% like returns on long term 12- months contract.

The 4-6% is more than enough premium over a 0-1% bank deposit interest environment.

I am more surprised that government/land office still insist that condo prices are rising, and tax on their fictional values not actual contract prices.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

hahahahaha....cut your prices bozos......ever heard of supply and demand?

Even if people cut prices ... most property won't sell I think. There's just too few buyers.

So perhaps it only makes sense to sell for a low price right now if you really need the money or you have no faith in the long term prospect of property in Thailand. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Even if people cut prices ... most property won't sell I think. There's just too few buyers.

Agreed.   Since i am happy with my rental I will only buy in my preferred location in a building I like for around 25K per sqm.

Sellers are cutting prices but only to a level that would have been a good deal a year ago.  

On 2/17/2021 at 9:59 PM, dcnx said:

Even the Chinese are selling their condos in bulk now. 

I would like to know your source as I don't believe a word of it.

Chinese investors are buying property worldwide by borrowing cheap cash generated from their overvalued properties inside China.  So far, China has been propping-up the lender banks and have shown no real signs of wanting this US$52 trillion market to fail.  Until China's property bubble burts, Chinese will keep buying overseas.