Extension of 45 day Visa exception

Hello,

Questions are in the end, sorry for the long text.

We recently travelled to Thailand and completed ASQ. During the ASQ we realized that according to the Thai embassy the 45 day Visa exemption can now be extended one time.

To have the opportunity to stay longer I would like to apply for an extension soon (currently have to leave march 15)

I and my Thai wife already called the immigration hotline 3 times now, but I am still not sure how to proceed exactly.

The officers on the hotline recommended us to get a letter from the embassy aboit covid and apply for extension with that, even though we told them that I am spouse of thai national.

I emailed my embassy (Austria) (and plan to call tomorrow) but they didn't seem to know what kind of letter we need.

Can someone tell me what kind of letter from the embassy they require? is there a template available somewhere?

Also I am not 100% sure, but it seems the olace to apply is the "Temporary Visa Extension center at Muang Thong Tani". Is that correct even though I do not have a Visa?

I hope someone can answer my questions.

Thank you in advance,

Andi

Edited by Meredy

17 minutes ago, Meredy said:

The officers on the hotline recommended us to get a letter from the embassy about covid and apply for extension with that, even though we told them that I am spouse of Thai national.

They where talking about the covid extension (60 days) rather than the normal 30 day extension. No need for a letter from the Embassy (if your Embassy actually still issues them), just sign an affidavit. You'll get the affidavit at the IO or you can download from this thread: 

As pointed out in above post there is no need for embassy letter. Immigration will give you an affidavit to sign. It gives you 60 day 'covid extension'.

Be aware that your imm office might insist that you apply for 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry prior to "covid extension". Hopefully not..

What is your longer term plan. You can obtain non O (marriage) then one year extension.

You could also apply for 60 day extension to visit wife. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

thank you for the information and the link. we will go to the immigration office with the printed document soon and i hope we don't have to go many times.

The long term plan is currently to return to Europe when required for work. Until then I will apply for non O visa if it looks like i will stay longer than the extension lasts.

thanks a lot for the help.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meredy said:

The long term plan is currently to return to Europe when required for work. Until then I will apply for non O visa if it looks like i will stay longer than the extension lasts.

You must have at least 15 days permission of stay left on your Visa exempt entry to apply for the Non O.

Financial proof required.

If your legally married to a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit Thai wife.

Proof of marriage required, wife must attend.

As mentioned already, apply for a 60 day Covid extension.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Or the 30 day extension of it. Or a 60 day covid 19 extension.

Why apply for a 30 day extension when he can apply for a 60 day extension based on marriage to a Thai.

I stated the 60 day Covid extension.

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Why apply for a 30 day extension when he can apply for a 60 day extension based on marriage to a Thai.

There was a report where a guy in similar situation was made to obtain the 30 day extension to his visa exempt. He was hoping/wanting 60 day covid extension.

Could have been bogus report, seems strange the person would have made to use his available 30 day extension. 

Edited by DrJack54

17 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I was responding to this in your post.

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You must have at least 15 days permission of stay left on your Visa exempt entry to apply for the Non O.

It could make people think it could only be done with the original visa exempt entry which is not correct.

Also best to use the 30 day or covid 19 extension first since the 60 day extension to visit your wife is only allowed once per entry.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

There was a report where a guy in similar situation was made to obtain the 30 day extension to his visa exempt. He was hoping/wanting 60 day covid extension.

He may not have been legally married (Village marriage), or married in home Country, not registered in Thailand, therefore couldn't provide proof of being legally married. (KR22).

Some IO's may insist you use the 30/60 day extension option first before granting the Covid extension.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I was responding to this in your post.

It could make people think it could only be done with the original visa exempt entry which is not correct.

The OP stated he now wanted to apply for the Non O and his current permission of stay ends 15th March.

My reply was merely to inform him he must have 15 days permission of stay left to apply for the Non O.

Whether he obtains a 30/60 day extension to his 45 day VE entry is optional.

As it stands he still has plenty of time to apply for the Non O without need of an extension.

However and I think the point you make, which I agree with, in his situation I'd first apply for a 30/60 day extension, before applying for the Non O, which could  potentially extend  his permission of stay until almost mid August.

thank you so mich everyone for the replies.

i have been to the Temporary immigration today and got a 30 day extension with confirmation that i will get 60 days next month. more details below for people who might be interested.

we went to the Temporary visa extension center:

Temporary VISA Extension Center at Muang Thong Tani https://maps.app.goo.gl/jvcpCrvEAjjJrnMV6

They sent us to floor 4 (counter K, which is short term visa application i think)

there was no waiting line and just 1 person in front of us.

we had all the forms printed and filled, but at document check they made us fill them again (their TM7 looked slightly different then the printed one). no real problems there.

after that we just glued on the picture and went to the next room.

again without waiting, the officer explained that i will get normal 30 day extension for now and cannot get 60 days today. She did check the documents we brought and said that when we come again next month with the same (marriage and house registration) documents and my wife i will get the 60 day extension.

she also explained where i have to apply for non O visa if i choose to do so.

thank you and have a nice day

• Thanks 1