Thailand reports 130 new COVID-19 infections, 1 more death

webfact

Thailand reports 130 new COVID-19 infections, 1 more death

static.reuters.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

Thailand reported 130 new coronavirus cases on Friday, with most discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

Of the new cases, 116 were local transmissions, while 14 were imported from people entering quarantine.

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also reported 124 people had been discharged from hospital having made a full recovery. 

1,088 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre.

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 25,241, with 83 deaths. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-19

Did you find this. Now being hidden on pg 2. No mention of the doctor dying apart from headline and as for the usual SS it's the migrant workforce. +71 is today's number for SS. 49 positives were from Myanmar and 22 were Thai. So around 45% Thai. Maybe buried pg3 tomorrow.

edit: It is now pg 1.

edit 2: Hopefully a more substantial article will follow.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not a word, that the latest victim was a medical doctor from maha sarakham.

he was 66 years old and in good health.

he is the first medic in thailand which succumbed to virus.

in italy during the first wave medics were 15% of victims. One of the reasons, why health system collapsed - medics were on quarantine, sick at home or in hospitals

• Like 2

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

in italy during the first wave medics were 15% of victims. One of the reasons, why health system collapsed - medics were on quarantine, sick at home or in hospitals

I live in Mahasarakham although I'm in the UK at the moment. My wife told me about this and of course the biggest problem is the number of people that he may have unwittingly infected.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I live in Mahasarakham although I'm in the UK at the moment. My wife told me about this and of course the biggest problem is the number of people that he may have unwittingly infected.

I think an even bigger problem is all the foreigners might get locked up together and then they'll wait for herd immunity just like in Samut Sakhon.If I was a foreigner in Maha Sarakham I would be very worried.Lucky you're not there at the moment.

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I wonder how the migrant worker herd immunity experiment is going and how many of those are being tested and counted or are they just doing antibody tests then let them out without counting them in the daily figures and sweeping the whole sorry saga under the carpet while congratulating themselves on the back for their low numbers?This virus doesn't seem to be that impressive when the let it rip approach is taken.

Back when they were mass testing migrant factory workers the key word that stood out to me was most were "asymptotic".  I'd still contend that if they force tested all Thai citizens they'd be absolutely floored by the number of positive cases that are asymptotic.  We'll no probem. 
"Waxcines coming soon!" Well, June?  July?  After most countries have half their populations inoculated?  But they're coming.  Promise!.  There is one company in Thailand whose sole focus is to provide everyone in Thailand a vaccination right after the rest of the world is close to finished with the programs.  Thai excellence on display for the world to gawk at.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

He had cancer. He as not in good health.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, connda said:

Back when they were mass testing migrant factory workers the key word that stood out to me was most were "asymptotic".  I'd still contend that if they force tested all Thai citizens they'd be absolutely floored by the number of positive cases that are asymptotic.  We'll no probem. 
"Waxcines coming soon!" Well, June?  July?  After most countries have half their populations inoculated?  But they're coming.  Promise!.  There is one company in Thailand whose sole focus is to provide everyone in Thailand a vaccination right after the rest of the world is close to finished with the programs.  Thai excellence on display for the world to gawk at.

No there would not be many asymptomatics, especially in the absence of symptomatic cases. Mass testing of 7000 in rayong several months ago showed zero positive cases. 

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It was the Dr in Maha Sarakham, aged 66 with prostate cancer.The details are in the Bangkok Post.

He died from Covid-19. Not prostate cancer. You will find FFF that most people (around 95%) has some underlying health condition and as I'm sure you know the older you are the more likely you are to have multiple health conditions ip.so fac.to most people who die from covid-19 will have one or more underlying health conditions. Sure some will weaken your body more than others but I really don't understand the point that they always mention them. Cause of Death: Covid-19. That is on the death certificate.

Dying from and dying with is though an interesting debate. They died from an underlying condition with covid or they died from covid with an underlying condition. 

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

He died from Covid-19. Not prostate cancer. You will find FFF that most people (around 95%) has some underlying health condition and as I'm sure you know the older you are the more likely you are to have multiple health conditions ip.so fac.to most people who die from covid-19 will have one or more underlying health conditions. Sure some will weaken your body more than others but I really don't understand the point that they always mention them. Cause of Death: Covid-19. That is on the death certificate.

Dying from and dying with is though an interesting debate. They died from an underlying condition with covid or they died from covid with an underlying condition. 

Of course he died because of Covid. Without Covid he would be still alive despite his cancer. I think they always stress some underlying health problems so that the people think the victim would have died anyway to calm down the people.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oldie said:

Of course he died because of Covid. Without Covid he would be still alive despite his cancer. I think they always stress some underlying health problems so that the people think the victim would have died anyway to calm down the people.

You have know idea what caused him to die or anyone who hasn't had an autopsy so it's a pointless discussion really.You say"Of course he died because of Covid. Without Covid he would be still alive despite his cancer."Then you go on to say if he didn't get covid he would still be alive today so you must have a direct line to GOD to be able to know such info.Do you have a direct line to GOD if not are you going to tell us exactly how long he would have lived?

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Let's take this doctor as an example. They say that he had prostate cancer. He was still working since cancer is no death sentence and even if you will die (often very) slowly. It is not a heart attack. He got Covid and some days later he is dead. I guess there is no autopsy necessary to understand that he didn't die from cancer but from Covid. Perhaps the combination of both was too much. But without the virus this combination would not have existed. 

What you say is quite likely true yet we don't know because he may have been asymptomatic and although was tested he may not have been affected by the virus he may have been affected by something else such as a flu virus.We can make assumptions which may or may not be true but we still do not know which is my point.You say it's not necessary for an autopsy to determine the cause of death but what you are doing is guessing, so why do any autopsies on anyone for any cause of death and just guess and leave it at that?Because it's not very scientific and we would regress to a heathen existence of which we strive to avoid.It seems to me we have regressed to a heathen existence already by believing covid is the cause of so many deaths without doing the scientific analysis to determine the true nature of the problem. 

"I guess there is no autopsy necessary to understand that he didn't die from cancer but from Covid."

The quote above from your reply even indicates you are guessing does it not? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think an even bigger problem is all the foreigners might get locked up together and then they'll wait for herd immunity just like in Samut Sakhon.If I was a foreigner in Maha Sarakham I would be very worried.Lucky you're not there at the moment.

I've not heard of that happening but then unless my wife told me about it maybe I wouldn't. I've had my first vaccine and my second should be around the end of April or possibly the beginning of May so after that I should be at less risk than my wife.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kimamey said:

I've not heard of that happening but then unless my wife told me about it maybe I wouldn't. I've had my first vaccine and my second should be around the end of April or possibly the beginning of May so after that I should be at less risk than my wife.

The authorities locked up 42,000 workers inside the factories to wait for herd immunity with infected and uninfected together then stopped counting any more cases from them to keep daily numbers down as they were getting to high, haven't heard anything about it since and nobody seems to care as they were mostly migrant workers. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

How many more "Cases" do you all think Thailand could report if it did mass testing like other countries?

Why would  they  want  to do that? For what ever reason it maybe people just ain't getting sick here. 

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The authorities locked up 42,000 workers inside the factories to wait for herd immunity with infected and uninfected together then stopped counting any more cases from them to keep daily numbers down as they were getting to high, haven't heard anything about it since and nobody seems to care as they were mostly migrant workers. 

That doesn't surprise me although that shouldn't directly affect me as a foreigner who isn't subject to the same conditions. Do we know if there were an deaths?

Singapore was doing well until they realised they had a lot of migrant workers in overcrowded accommodation that they didn't care enough about to keep safe. Just because you can choose to ignore migrant workers doesn't mean they can't infect you.

Edited by kimamey

1 hour ago, Freeduhdum said:

How many more "Cases" do you all think Thailand could report if it did mass testing like other countries?

I'm sure there are more deaths but they still seem to be doing better than other countries including mine. The UK has nearly the same population and has over 120,000 deaths compared to 89. That would take some creative accounting to cover up if Thailand were doing as badly as the UK.

17 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I'm sure there are more deaths but they still seem to be doing better than other countries including mine. The UK has nearly the same population and has over 120,000 deaths compared to 89. That would take some creative accounting to cover up if Thailand were doing as badly as the UK.

On that scale yes, but if given nearer were half, dying in tambons at home from pneamonia?? Never tested. Lot of deaths in UK not in hospitals but homes of elderly and care homes. Also figures for excess deaths Thailand hard to find plus skewed by lock downs and people not on raids, which everyone knows accounts for about 70 per day. Lot of reports too about figures available for pneamonia deaths in Thailand not been available. Obviously Thailand is nowhere near as bad as other countries, whether it be under reporting or some form of immunity, but it is out there. Only future years when the world digs into the varying effects between different countries will all become apparent I think. Remember Wuhan reported some 50000 infections but later reported up to 4-500k antibody tests positive.